WEIRD problem with RG2570EX Edge-Pro Tremolo.. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

WEIRD problem with RG2570EX Edge-Pro Tremolo..

I have recently switched from using fixed-bridge guitars to a double-locking edge-pro system.. I've just bought an RG2570E and have come across a slight problem with "unison bends".. say for example I'm bending the E note on the G string (fret 9) upto an F# (fret 11), and playing an F# (fret 7) on the B string simultaneously.. the F# on the B string ends up sounding lower in pitch (as i checked with an electronic tuner).. but otherwise, without the bent G string, the note on the B string sounds perfectly in tune.. (and its happening everywhere on the guitar neck, where im bending one note to a certain pitch on one string, and playing the same pitch on another string un-bent, the note on un-bent string goes lower in pitch) I wanted to know if there's something wrong with my setup (and if so, how do i fix the problem), or whether this is an inherent issue with locking systems (which i REALLY doubt..) or something to do with the balancing of forces above and below the bridge (by the string tension vs the tremolo spring tension).. im really not sure.. i cant find a good tech anywhere around either..

Please help.. maybe something is wrong with the setup (or definitely something wrong with the setup), any hints anyone?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 04:03 PM

Re: WEIRD problem with RG2570EX Edge-Pro Tremolo..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWFurK View Post
or whether this is an inherent issue with locking systems (which i REALLY doubt..)
It is, any time you bend a string on a floating system it pulls the bridge up and that inturn lowers the pitch of all the other strings.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 05:33 PM

I think the Tremol-No solves this issue. Unfortunately, I don't have one yet and my memory plays tricks on me recently so I'm not 100% but anyway, you should check it out.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 05:39 PM

Inherent issue with any tremelo that isn't a Steinberger transtrem. They all do that. Because the springs are offsetting the tension of the strings. Simple physics really.

The tremol-no will not solve that issue unless you completely lock out the bridge, if you have it set in fullfloating mode or with the drop-c in place, you'll still get the pitchiness in unison bends because the strings are pulling the bridge down...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

hmm.. alrite correct me if im wrong.. but does that mean, nobody using a floating tremolo systems ever plays unison bends and manages to stay in tune on BOTH the strings at once?! *phew*
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWFurK View Post
hmm.. alrite correct me if im wrong.. but does that mean, nobody using a floating tremolo systems ever plays unison bends and manages to stay in tune on BOTH the strings at once?! *phew*
Not quite, they learn to compensate for the forward movement of the bridge by bending the other strings slightly too. This requires quite a developed musical ear though
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 08:21 AM

There are solutions to this problem
1) change your technique - this means either:
a) bending the usually unbent note to keep it in tune - (this is what I do)
b) resting your hand on the tremolo to keep it from moving when string bending
c) holding the whammy bar while doing unison bends to keep it from moving - (I do this sometimes)

2) change or add to your hardware
a) block the trem with wood in the spring cavity so it can only lower in pitch
b) use a tremol-no which achieves the same thing as a) but is easily switched on and off
c) Use and Ibanez backstop, Hipshot tremsetter or similar. This has additional springs that allow you to overtension the normal tremolo springs creating a deadspot. this means that the trem seems stiffer but returns better to pitch when released and doesn't move so much if at all when strings are bent. Steve Vai uses the backstop.
Jim
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 12:26 PM

The tremel-No will fix this if it is setup correctly. It need to be first set so the bridge can only go down, then turn the claw screws in a little extra. The only disadvantage of this is; if you unlock the up=stop of the tremel-No, the while bridge would go sharp so the tremel-No needs to stay locked for down-only movement. I guess this is why van Halen has his set so the floyd comes back up and hits wood(insert joke here). I am curious about whether Vai uses a backstop. Having watched him play, I thought his bridges were floaters. A backstop kills flutter and he often uses that technique. In any case, a backstop device could also be set up to fix it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 02:30 AM

Are you perhaps willing to sell your ibanez Rg2570ex?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 06:06 AM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusic View Post
Are you perhaps willing to sell your ibanez Rg2570ex?
Dude, what the hell is wrong with you? You have revived just about every 2570 thread at jemsite forums.. Go to the classified's section and put a new "want to buy" thread over there.

Tags
claw screws , floating tremolo , hipshot tremsetter , ibanez backstop , spring cavity , string tension , tremolo system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode