Weird Radius/Sabre hybrid?!?! - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 07:22 PM

Re: Weird Radius/Sabre hybrid?!?!

Thanks for the trem arm specs, Bert! I've got a couple arms laying around, one should fit. Just didn't want to create threads in that black plastic/rubber insert if it was some sort of pop-in type. Thanks again.

------------------------
Sorry to hear that Smitty. It's a unique thing for a Radius/JS fan to play, lol. It looks kinda like a Radius, but it's much more like a Strat with softer contours and humbuckers.

I've only run it through an old practice amp, but can't wait to fire it up on my main amp at practice to see how the alder body differs from the basswood Radii and mahogany JS's I have. The Viper neck with med. frets is right along the lines of my Ultra and JS necks. [One Radius of mine has jumbos, though. Not a fan, but of course, it ended up as my main player for practices, lol.]

Oh, it has two old, green, PAF Pros from an old JEM instead of the stock p'ups, too. [Middle p'up is said to have come from a hot-rodded Strat, but it's wires were too short for me to pull out sufficiently to fully inspect.]

I took off the pickguard and luckily it doesn't have a fading issue on that gravure print. It does have a small trace of the the entire pickguard on the surface but you have to be looking for it to see it. The screw holes aren't visible from beyond a few feet, since I sharpied them black inside. Just gotta find some smaller diameter screws to direct mount the p'ups, now. [Don't want to add eight holes for rings in case I decided to put the clear pickguard back on, someday.]

I think the gravure finish looks great with out that pickguard getting in the way. Never could understand people getting expensive Strats/etc with a big ol' clunky, plastic thing covering over half the face. Still undecided on the green p'ups vs. the purple color, lol.

I'll try to post some pix in a few minutes, in case anyone cares to see what one looks like w/o a guard and with green humbuckers.

Last edited by Edwood; 12-22-2006 at 08:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 08:20 PM

Wow... I think I just hijacked this thread. [Felt weird to start a new thread, but weird to hijack. Overall, guess I think that it's all about the RV470, so the same thread is okay.] Sorry, Smitty. I can delete my posts and put 'em in their own thread, if need be.

Some pix:

Any idea what the little screws are for in the pickup cavities, from this last pic?

Last edited by Edwood; 12-22-2006 at 08:23 PM. Reason: I'm lame with basic html
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 07:26 PM

Nice guitar but isn't the bridge pickup a bit slated.

Regards

André

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Haha dude feel free to hijack my posts anytime, especially if youve got a nice axe to show.
smitty
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 03:07 AM

Yep, slanted 'cause I haven't made a Home Despot run to get smaller diameter screws to direct mount the pickups, yet. [Damn, xmas shopping has been getting in the way!]

--------------
Thanks, Smitty!

Happy holidays and all that crap!!!

/Best thing about Christmas??? It's almost OVER!!!
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 10:44 AM

Nice. I've got the SV470, and the viper neck is really great.

But it feels so small and light compared to RGs and such...
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwood View Post
Yep, slanted 'cause I haven't made a Home Despot run to get smaller diameter screws to direct mount the pickups, yet. [Damn, xmas shopping has been getting in the way!]

--------------
Thanks, Smitty!

Happy holidays and all that crap!!!

/Best thing about Christmas??? It's almost OVER!!!
OK!

Regards

André

post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 10:47 PM

Where did you find the trem placement? Is it a Gotoh?
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez Tex View Post
Where did you find the trem placement? Is it a Gotoh?
Last post was in 06 dude. Nice necro though.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 02:13 AM

Pardon my thickheadedness, but I don't really get why it's a R/S hybrid. It looks like a regular R with a flame top. Maybe because I haven't played with JS/Rs much before, but could someone point the hybrid-ness out for me?

Last edited by BlanK; 08-06-2012 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Is it because the carved top follows the silhouette of the body more?
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 02:40 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlanK View Post
Pardon my thickheadedness, but I don't really get why it's a R/S hybrid. It looks like a regular R with a flame top. Maybe because I haven't played with JS/Rs much before, but could someone point the hybrid-ness out for me?
Not a hybrid at all--looks like an RV470.

post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 02:49 AM

Mystery Solved!

Tags
alder body , bridge pickup , paf pro , paf pros , pickup cavities , practice amp , trem arm , trem block , viper neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode