Weirdest thing happend tonight... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Weirdest thing happend tonight...

Well, my class has been working on our float for the homecoming parade, and this was the last night to work on it. It was my first night there. I didn't really want to go, because I knew it would be boring and stupid and everything else. So my friend drags me along tonight, and I'm just kinda lookin around this big cluttered shed and I see some Tama drums laying around. So that's cool. Then I look over and see 2 Marshall stacks!!! From their appearance they appeared to be at least 10 years old. But I saw the 2 stacks, 2 or 3 combo amps and a guitar case with a guitar probably in it. I didn't really want to say anything because I didn't want to make a scene and the guy who owned the shed (the dad of someone in my class) looked really busy so I just kept my mouth shut. But what treasures you can find in places like that! I really wish he wouldn't have been so busy so I could have asked him to check them out or something. Its amazing what you can find in places like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 12:11 AM

Last week I stopped by a local shop for the hell of it just to check things out! Walked out the door with a RG678 for 163.00! Who'd thought! Never even knew there was an RG678!

When you least expect is usually when it happens! Strange but true
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

678? Way cool......

Can you post some pics or tell us the specs?
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 08:59 AM

Edge trem, Gotoh tuners, bound 24 fret neck, bound headstock, sharktooth inlays, H-H-Spup config, 5 way selector, coil split on the humbucker(don't know if that's original), and one microswitch which I have no idea what it's for

Mine has a different finish. Kind of a silver with a light green mixed in. Neck stamp says RG685, neck pocket stamp says 678. Anyone else knows anything let me know

Here is the link of the pic I found online:

www.yuumusic.com/ibanezrg678bk.html

Just copy and paste.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 09:51 AM

Great find, Lil'Devil! Maybe Jono will chime in with some more details on that model. Probably my best Ibanez find was an early black Gambale model for $150 shipped...bought it online with fuzzy pics and didn't realize what it was until I got it. I recently picked up a Trace Elliot TA100R acoustic amp in a hardwood cab for only $300 at a pawn...once in a while it happens.

GRXavenger- Time to interrogate your classmate about that gear.
Greg
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Sorry guys, that one's beyond me ?!?!? Has it got a date on it? LOL - This is why I love JEMsite, just when I think I have all the RGs covered... they pull me back in (or somethign like that )

The bottom horn looks like the old (pre JEM) RG style, but I wasn't aware they came with 24 frets.

I'll see what I can find, but probably less than we already know. If anyone makes any progress on this please keep this topic updated, or mail me about it
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 04:12 PM

Here's a pic of one in a kind of metallic cream/green colour!! Notice the Jem style neck access cutaway. Didn't know any RG's had that, thought the only RG's with an access cutaway were 770's which had a neck access cutaway half way with a tilt...

http://www.curio-city.com/originalg/6644/40713.html
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
OK - Loving this thread, and the guitars But it's off to "other Ibanez 6 strings" now.

Sorry to have hi-jacked this one GRXavenger.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 09:05 PM

Hey thats the exact same color as mine!! By the way mine has a 1987 serial number. If I can just track down a 87 Japanese catalogue I can get the specs! Sounds like I got my plans for tonight! I took some new pics last night with a friends digital camera so I'll post whenever they get back and send them
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 12:12 PM

It's like a Ibanez Soloist if you look at it from some distance (apart from the neckthru), completely brilliant, and for that money
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2002, 02:46 AM

Thx. Well I tried a local shop but no dice on an 87 catalogue. I'm going to try a one other place today(same place I found it). One of my Japanese friends happened to be around when I showed him the link Spagbol posted, and he told me it says this RG has a ash body!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2002, 04:58 AM

Well I found a 1986 and 89 Japanese catalogue. The owner of the store doesn't want to part with them, but when I get a chance she is going to let me borrow so I can scan them onto the computer here at work.

The 89 Japanese catalogue does list the RG678, and the RG685. So either someone replaced the neck on mine with a 685 neck or it was put together like that at the factory. I'm guessing the latter of the two. The body for the RG678 is listed as ash w/ one volume one tone, and the push/pull tone knob is original from the factory! Now the extra switch behind the vol and tone knobs is supposed to be some kind of bass/treble EQ switch adding whichever of the two you want. List price in the 89 catalogue is Y78,000

That's pretty much it for now until I can scan the catalogue. I'd talk about some of the other unique models I saw, but I'll wait until I get the catalogue scanned so everyone can just explore on there own.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2002, 07:29 AM

guys...

after reading the thread, i feel a little depressed that the guitars (RGs in general) now aren't as appealing as the ones back then- the '80s especially. i dunno if the current offerings are any indication that there're more goodies in time to come from our fav guitar company... doesn't look like it though...
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2002, 11:02 PM

Im betting leftover neck from the factory, and it was just slapped together. Definitely middle of the vai endorsement and thats why it has the old rg body and the new neck. Killer find my friend. What do you want for it j/k
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 12:00 AM

Thx, but I'm holding onto this one for a while! Sounds great with the ash body!

Tags
acoustic amp , coil split , combo amp , edge trem , fret neck , gambale model , gotoh tuners , pull tone , sharktooth inlay , sharktooth inlays

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode