Well this took forever... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Well this took forever...

We got hung up on some minor details and lost a month along the way, but the first 3 bodies (including mine) are finally complete and the finish is done. The matching wood rear route covers seemed like a nice touch. They ended up being the biggest pain in the entire project. It's amazing to me how much harder than expected this project turned out to be. It feels like I've been almost complete for about 3 months. Now I finally know that the first few guitars with be done within 2 weeks. It's an amazing feeling.

Here's a quick photo of #3. #2 is Heritage Cherry and #1 (mine) is a 3 tone tobacco burst. I'll post some more photos later for anyone who's interested.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 06:52 PM

Reviews: 1
Bravo!!! Awesome!!!

BenoA
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 06:54 PM
EKG

That came out nice.

Can we see more pics?
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 07:55 PM

Wow, that looks great Jim, it certainly looks like it was worth the wait. I really like the shape and the contours. Can't wait to see it finished.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 07:58 PM

isnt that tobacco burst a little vintage violin-inspired?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. That's the cherryburst and yes, it's a little bit violin inspired.

Here's a couple shots of #1. This is the tobacoburst and it's definitely mine, hence the single neck pickup. The top is very rare piece of flamed ash that I've been waiting to put to use for about a year.

I'll post the third one in a little while.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 08:49 PM

Flamed ash! Sweet!

Those are looking really gorgeous, Jim! Congratulations! Are the headstocks painted to match? Are you putting the stereo Duncan in your #1?

I cannot wait to hear sound samples and your playing impressions. I'm really curious to know how the hollow ash works for you.

(Glen, we need the drool and wag icons back. Seriously.)
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Darren. Don't get too attatched to the flammed ash. There's only two more pieces that I know of and I'm not sure either of them is large enough to make a top for one of these.

Mine is not going to have the stereo Duncans. I can't have both the stereo humbucker and piezos. That's an either or set up, one or the other and at least for my first one I really wanted the piezos. Assuming all goes well though, I should have another one for myself fairly soon I would think.

The head is not going to be painted. That's not a look that I like very much on maple. The neck is has a matte finish with a gloss peg head with a slightly vintage tint. Here's a scan of one that's already finished.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 09:21 PM

Sweet!, I'm sort of opposed to the painted headstock myself too...
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 07:21 AM

ooh, the headstock shape is really nice!
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 06:14 PM

I love it And I'm not a big fan of jazz-type guitars usually, but this I like. And I love the headstock shape, as I'm not huge on pointy headstocks on 7-strings (my Schecter being an exception because of it's tuner configuration keeping the size reasonable).
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 10:00 PM

wow...
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 10:29 PM

Those cavity covers sure do add a unique touch. They look great!
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEMavenger
Those cavity covers sure do add a unique touch. They look great!
Thanks. There will actually be two of the wooden covers plus the standard plastic cover shipped with every guitar.

The wood covers actually turned out to be the biggest hassle of the entire project. We made them all slightly too large and recut them twice. In the end we still had to sand them down to size by hand.

BTW, for Two Hands, what you see is not the only model. They're will also be solid bodies.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 03:26 AM

i usually don't like clear tops, but this one is awesome! and the headstock shape and the logo are simply beautiful!

great job, Jim!

Tags
cavity cover , ebmm john petrucci , headstock shape , john petrucci , neck pickup , pointy headstock , truss rod , truss rod cover

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

satchurator taking forever?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode