Went to buy a guitar with student... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Went to buy a guitar with student...

After many year later I started to accept students again. A friend from work was interested so I said why not.

After some conversation we agreed to buy an affordable acoustic guitar. I've studied classical and electric guitars, though sure have enough experience it was the first time I bought an acoustic guitar for someone.

I noticed there are A LOT of alternatives, I played maybe 20 guitars...sad part is at least 10 of them had neck angle problems. The staff were mostly young and besides they had no idea the guitars had problems, there was one who barely tuned a guitar for me while I was demo'ing!!!

I also noticed the better sales guys (usually older aged) were way more honest and helpful but sadly their stores were smaller and my student was a lefty so didn't have much alternatives.I wanted to buy from them but chose the best for the student...

anyway back to topic, lots more affordable guitars compared to the past but huge risk of selecting a problematic "new!" guitar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 05:51 PM

Re: Went to buy a guitar with student...

That was very nice of you! You probably saved him 100's of dollars and he ended up with a much better instrument. More new players should take someone who knows what they are doing with them guitar shopping.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 06:47 PM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpraider69 View Post
That was very nice of you! You probably saved him 100's of dollars and he ended up with a much better instrument. More new players should take someone who knows what they are doing with them guitar shopping.
That's what I used to do! Really helped out a lot!

Now I'm the guy they bring with to help them choose
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpraider69 View Post
Thanks, and yeah I hope I did! While trying to decide, one of the seller told me to wait as they had an awesome guitar for the price...he returned from the storage a minute later, the guitar sounded ok but the neck problem was so bad I'd guess it was unrepairable

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.M.RG7620 View Post
That's what I used to do! Really helped out a lot!

Now I'm the guy they bring with to help them choose
I guess its a responsibility that some wouldn't want to take (sure one can miss something, specially after trying many guitars or a problem can occur over time...) but I felt responsible, besides being a teacher he's a friend too.

But also its sort of cool I've always felt like a kid in candyland when entering a guitar store basicly I bought the guitar that I liked most even though its not mine
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 04:56 PM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mertay View Post
Thanks, and yeah I hope I did! While trying to decide, one of the seller told me to wait as they had an awesome guitar for the price...he returned from the storage a minute later, the guitar sounded ok but the neck problem was so bad I'd guess it was unrepairable

I guess its a responsibility that some wouldn't want to take (sure one can miss something, specially after trying many guitars or a problem can occur over time...) but I felt responsible, besides being a teacher he's a friend too.

But also its sort of cool I've always felt like a kid in candyland when entering a guitar store basicly I bought the guitar that I liked most even though its not mine
It's REALLY hard not to. I've never actually bought any of my friends guitars before but I usually put the Ibanez's in their hands and (instead of asking how it feels) I say "that neck sure is nice isn't it?" . Pay attention to it sometimes and you'll notice when people can and can't tell the difference between anything. If they can't they'll just agree with everything you say and get what you tell them to hahaha.

Tags
choose acoustic guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode