What 7-string should I get? Carvin?LGM? Something else? Any Ideas? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

What 7-string should I get? Carvin?LGM? Something else? Any Ideas?

I've been looking around for a good 7-string but I dont know what to get. I am really considering getting a Carvin DC727 because I hear many good things from Carvin. The only beef I got with Carvin is that if I want to change the pickups then I gotta get some routing done to make the new pickups fit.

I checked out LGM and they look like very sweet guitars as well. I know they look amazing but how are LGM guitars? Please let me know what you can about them such as (tonality,quaility,string action,list the pros and cons on them. ) Is there any other awesome 7 strings that I should look into? I want to have a good low end crunch sound but at the same time have an awesome guitar to shred on. I like meshuggah heavy rhythm stuff and a good lead (Vai/Satriani/Greg Howe etc.) sound. Clean tone is important to me for Blues/Jazz and Classical music.

In about 1 week I will have enough saved to order a Carvin guitar ($1,000) but if an LGM or something else with worth spending a little more on then I could save until then. I do like the sound of the UV777BK but I kinda wanna have an original guitar of my own(not an artists signature series guitar).

What should I do?

"My Dream Axe awaits somewhere, I just don't know where yet!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 09:27 PM

Re: What 7-string should I get? Carvin?LGM? Something else? Any Ideas?

Do you have a 7 string already? Likes and dislikes about it?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

I dont own a 7-string but I've played a little on them and I like the lower end sound from the Low B string. I own a Nylon-string guitar which has a real big neck so it should not be a problem to adjust from 6 to 7 strings.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 09:34 PM

I definitely think (if you got the money) you should go with LGM. Jeremy is very skilled and will bend over backwards for you. You can select body wood, hardware, pickups, the whole shabang. He has a vast array of awesome paint schemes or can do something custom.. Definitely a quality product from a quality company.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Do you guys own an LGM or have you played on one? I'm not doubting how good they are I just wanna know for sure what I should get.

Last edited by Fleshbleed; 05-05-2005 at 09:54 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 06:19 AM

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35568

And i will Quote myself from that thread here also :-)

" Just a short reply, jeremy at LGM made me a custom RG style guitar last year. STUNNING, one of the best looking, sounding and playing guitars ive ever seen or layed my hands on.

He does great work and is an utter perfectionist which is what you want when its someone building you and instrument.

You can see the pics i got of the building process here:

http://community.webshots.com/album/207546246YUOwss "
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 06:44 AM

Scheter aren't to bad at all. my friend just got one and I was really suprized by it.a custom ibanez would be cool.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 07:06 AM

a custom ibanez would be a non possiblilty

I think if you're just looking for a superstrat/RG shape you should think about either getting a production model Ibanez and modding it or getting one of the two carvin models with your specs. Jeremy doesn't seem interested in doing any RG copies and other luthiers I've contacted in the past seem equally uninterested (and to a degree insulted)

one place that doesn't seem to mind making copies is shamray guitars in russia http://www.shamray.ru/index.php?lang=en
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 09:45 AM

The LGM leviathan series is an awesome, unique body shape and would definitely turn heads. You said you wanted something custom and the leviathan is definitely that.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 03:44 PM

I have customized my own Washburn 7, and have a Carvin. The carvin is an amazing work of art, and with many pickups you are able to sand them down and not the guitar. My friend put an evo in the bridge of his Dc727 and didn't have to touch the body for any routing. So unless you plan on putting EMG's in, you really shouldn't have to worry about routing, as the pickups themselves can be adjusted. As for wood selection and quality work and finish choice, Carvin freaking rules. but, you are stuck with one body style and two pickup options. I've never dealt with any other custom shops but I would only guess they are expensive. carvin is reasonably priced and I love how it plays and sounds. I have my shredding guitars, so i don't need after market pickups in it. It can sound just about any way I want it to (it has the coil tap, phase switch, and active electronics). It is nice and light, the intonation is great(even in A), and it plays and looks great. All for under a grand. Again, body shape is limited, but for playabilty and asking it to do with what options you get, I give it a SOLID 10.

However, those LGM's look AMAZING. I am either going to save up for a Universe or get an LGM 8 string...contemplating. I have 7-8 7 strings, and no 8 string. but, my dream guitar forever was the UV

Last edited by 7stringofablick; 05-06-2005 at 03:55 PM.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 08:48 PM

Carvin is awesome,, but if I had the choose,,I would go ( and will one day ) have something made by LGM.

~A
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stringofablick
I have customized my own Washburn 7, and have a Carvin. The carvin is an amazing work of art, and with many pickups you are able to sand them down and not the guitar. My friend put an evo in the bridge of his Dc727 and didn't have to touch the body for any routing. So unless you plan on putting EMG's in, you really shouldn't have to worry about routing, as the pickups themselves can be adjusted. As for wood selection and quality work and finish choice, Carvin freaking rules. but, you are stuck with one body style and two pickup options. I've never dealt with any other custom shops but I would only guess they are expensive. carvin is reasonably priced and I love how it plays and sounds. I have my shredding guitars, so i don't need after market pickups in it. It can sound just about any way I want it to (it has the coil tap, phase switch, and active electronics). It is nice and light, the intonation is great(even in A), and it plays and looks great. All for under a grand. Again, body shape is limited, but for playabilty and asking it to do with what options you get, I give it a SOLID 10.

However, those LGM's look AMAZING. I am either going to save up for a Universe or get an LGM 8 string...contemplating. I have 7-8 7 strings, and no 8 string. but, my dream guitar forever was the UV

Hey how is Carvin's neck profile compared to Washburn's?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 04:18 AM

Carvin and Schecter are both pretty damn good. Carvin has infinite custom options too, all at a good price. They will do any colour, woods, pickups you want and all that stuff. Schecter are very cool for the price too, you get alot of guitar for your $$$. Obviously Ibanez are pretty good too, but if you are buying "new" you havent got many options with Ibanez. Just the RG1527, RG7321, and the UV777PBK. But "used" there are loads of Ibanez 7's floating around all over the place. LGM is awesome too. You may wait a while for the turnaround on it, but it will be garuanteed to be awesome. I suppose its all down to the fact of whether you like the Leviathan body shape and stuff.

All of the companies that you mentioned are very good, but if it was me and I wanted what you wanted (a custom guitar) I would probably go with Carvin or LGM or another guitar builder of sorts. That way you can have that "total custom" that you want. Its just a case of inquiring at different places, and looking at reviews too.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 11:42 AM

Reviews: 1
Thumbs up Re: What 7-string should I get? Carvin?LGM? Something else? Any Ideas?

I was going tyo sell my LGM Universe, but couldn't part with it. Pics in the For Sale section here under Pink Universe.

I love this thing. Get an LGM- you will thank me later, really. It will be the last 7 string guitar you buy.

Go look at 'em~
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 05:05 AM

I've got an EB/MM JP7 I've had for a few years now and is still my main guitar. I'ma bout to buy another one.

Nothing I've played personally comes close yet.

Tags
basswood body , body shape , clean tone , coil tap , custom guitar , custom ibanez , custom shop , lgm guitars , lgm leviathan , neck thru , playing guitar , production model

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode