what about quality in later Ibanez's? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

what about quality in later Ibanez's?

Hi guys,
I've been looking around quite a lot for Ibanez guitars, since I wanted to buy one. For years I've kept an eye on them sine they always felt so comfortable and they sound so great. However, wandering around all the stores in my city (Barcelona, Spain) many MANY! sellers told me that Ibanez has dramatically dropped quality in the later years, especially since 2003 buy you can already notice in the 2000-2001 models.
The thing is that I kinda' disregarded this info since I really felt Ibanez was the kind of guitar for me, but when I tried a 2570VSL in a store I couldn't believe it. I found it really unconfortable and the tremolo was awful (maybe was badly set up, but the guy had a hard time with the tremolo when trying to set it up). It kept going out of tune and I went off the store with the feeling that I wasn't gonna buy one.

The I found an RG770 fm second hand (2001) with which I fell in love the very first moment I held it in my hands. The guitar sounds great and plays awsome. So, here's my question,

Do you guys also feel the drop in quality? Or is it just my imagination powered by some biased crap coming from a biased seller?
and... how much do you think this guitar is worth?

RG770 fm
Body: Flame maple / basswood
Color: Deep Blue (DBL)
Neck: 1pc. maple
Neck type: Wizard IV
Fingerboard: Rosewood with binding
Bridge: Lo-pro edge
Bridge p.u.: IBZ QM1 humbucker
Mid p.u.: IBZ QMS1 single coil
Neck p.u.: IBZ QM2 humbucker
Hardware: Cosmo white

http://www.ibanezregister.com/Galler...al-rg770fm.htm

Thanks to all guys.

Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 12:00 AM

Re: what about quality in later Ibanez's?

Those sellers are full of ****. They just like that 90s RG570 that they bought off **** for $300 and convince themselves that it's better than a RG1570.

The reason it kept going out of tune in the store most likely was that the bridge locking units or nut was not tight enough.... or badly needed a setup, more likely than not.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 11:02 AM
Dee

I agree that the quality isn't what it used to be.

Yeah, that's a Jem 10th. Nice "inlay".
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 11:22 AM

i dont really agree on the quality degrade
the japanese made models i m referring

they still feel great to me, and from where i get mines, its setted up pretty decent

the 06 prestige necks are nice...i really like the volute neck
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 11:30 AM
Dee

How many Ibanez guitars are still produced in Japan?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 11:57 AM

Well, luckily enough, I picked up my RG7321 before the production was moved to Indonesia. Kickass guitar all the way through, you'd have to work hard to find any cosmetic flaws, much less construction flaws, from the factory. However, one thing I can complain about is that I apparently have a blind-spot when doing full step-bends on the high E between frets 17-19. Weird thing is, it's only on the high E, so I'm thinking that the string might have a flat spot right there maybe. Apart from that, the frets to look a bit uneven in the joints between the binding and neck, some of them do, more or less apparently, bulge out from beneath the binding. Apart from those two small things, I have no complaints whatsoever.
However, right now, I'd always check when buying something made in Indonesia. Public opinion is that quality varies wildly from specimen to specimen. (Guess I lucked out on my RG7321 and BTB555 then! )
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeswift
How many Ibanez guitars are still produced in Japan?
Prestige RGs

not those limited neck-thru series
Korean factory is taking care of those neck-thru Rgs
the neck feels great
but intonation is abit off..

anyway, if u do find a jap made ones, they stilll have high quality craftsmanship
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 07:57 PM

I have the 760FM version of the guitar you were looking at. Love it in a big way. Very much recommended. (Toss those PU's tho, I switched for all white TZ, Lil JB, and LIL SD.

http://www.jemsite.com/jcustom/prest...0fm/index.html

Tags
flame maple , ibanez guitars , prestige necks , pro edge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode