What acoustics are you playing? - Just curiosity... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-17-2001, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 5
What acoustics are you playing? - Just curiosity...

I know that you all love the sound of a distorted eletric guitar, but do you also like some acoustic sounds? What acoustic guitars are you playing?

I love acoustic tones and I've been playing a Washburn EA20 for 3 years. It's great!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-17-2001, 07:53 PM

Reviews: 3
What acoustics are you playing?

I'm using a Guild DCE5. *Great acoustic. *I'd love a Larivee one day though.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-17-2001, 11:13 PM

Reviews: 2

Acoustak's aren't my thang. plus it's would mean more stuff to buy and I'm already behind

But Tak's and the fender strat acoustics and those carvin ones look nice too
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-18-2001, 12:10 AM

I have a Guild DC5E 6-string acoustic electric and a Takamine EF-385 12-string acoustic electirc. I love the tone of both, but I'm a little PO'd with the Guild right now because the bridge is separating from the body (and it's only 2 years old).

I also have a 40+ year old Gibson Country Western, which has a great deal of charm to boot.

--Brent
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-18-2001, 12:57 AM

I have 2 Alvarez WY-1's (available to me, they are actually my dads), one is a spruce top with rosewood back and sides, and the other one (my favorite) is Koa top, back and sides, Koa neck with ebony fretboard. *What a tone!!!! *and looks.......... oh my god, what a beautiful looking guitar. *I would love to buy one, but all my money seems to be going to other things right now
Oh well, long as he'll let me borrow the Koa every now and then
Jeremy
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-18-2001, 03:03 AM

I'm playing a Fender Santa Marina and a initially steel (but now nylon to preserv bridge from tension) Del Vecchio that is dated from 1942 and is Brazilian rosewood made body and neck and ebony bridge and fretboard
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-18-2001, 09:10 AM

I'm using an old (early nineties) Oscar Schmidt. *I think it's not even a full size guitar, but it sounds relatively ok. *I got it when I was 8, so I'm gonna hang on to it for a while.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-18-2001, 12:13 PM

I have an Ovation Pinacle 6 string acoustic/electric & an Ovation Custom Balladeer 12 string acoustic/electric. They both sound great pluged in but a little thin unplugged.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-18-2001, 12:21 PM

Reviews: 3

Brent -
That's kinda funny you said that about the DCE5. *On mine, the action is way high these days. *I was going to sand the bottom of the bridge down, or something, to get it fixed back up. *Also, the frets had expanded through the clearcoat on the side of the fretboard (at the factory). *It's still a great guitar in every other aspect... but I'm wondering if Guild has quality control issues?
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-18-2001, 01:37 PM

The only guitar i currently own is my fatihfull Amalio Burguet 1a. It's a hand made classical guitar made in Valencia, Spain. It's a typical spanish guitar with rose wood back and sides, mahogany (I think) neck, ebony fretboard (no dots here) and a spruce top. Plays well but you have to put some effort into it, if you want it to sound really well. No short cuts buying a new amp....

I'd like a Montero-Marin or a Barslaag, which are made in Granada, Spain. Granada guitars have a totally different tonality than, say, a Ramirez or a Burguet.

Well, well, dream on.....

MIkael
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-18-2001, 01:49 PM

I'm playing a Martin DM with a Rare Earth Blend pup system and a L.R.Baggs Acoustic DI for my GOOD acoustic. I also have a Peave Ecoustic guitar with the ATS tremolo which is super cool to play in a band context or even solo with some judicious EQ'ing. I've owned a Kramer Ferrington (crap) and played the Fender Strat-acoustic (double crap), and the Peavey is in a whole different league. And there's nothing like a tremolo on an Acoustic guitar :biggrin: Besides that we've got a Tak and a Simon & Patrick Lutherie (Godin/Seagull) acoustic lying about - oh yea, and a Yamaha classical...
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-18-2001, 02:07 PM

I've got a crappy 12-string that belonged to my dad in the 70s, and an old Cimar Hummingbird (built by Ibanez), which sounds better than I was expecting for the money I paid. It's not as thick or as warm as the real thing, but compared to most cheap acoustics, it's in a league of its own.

I'd love a Lowden. I'd kill for a Lowden.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-18-2001, 04:08 PM

I'm using a Lowden F-25C and a couple of Takamine Santa Fe's. *

The Lowden is a mini-jumbo body of Indian Rosewood with a solid Cedar top and a 5-piece mahogany/ebony/mahogany/ebony/mahogany neck. *Currently, it's got a Fishman Matrix Natural pickup with preamp jack. *Best acoustic I've ever played! *Loud, but delicate and very well-balanced. *Not cheap, but....it's made in Ireland! *Can't go wrong there!

I've also got a Takamine PSF-94LTD Santa Fe Limited that's Koa back & sides with a cedar top and the incredible Accuracoustic preamp/pickup. *The other Santa Fe is a PSF-48 I believe which is rosewood back & sides w/ a solid Spruce top and a gloss finish. *Same preamp. *Great live guitars!

They all go through a Matchless Chieftain halfstack.
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-18-2001, 06:10 PM

RG-2027

post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-18-2001, 06:37 PM

I've got a 1987 Takamine EF340 that I got from a friend in a trade. *He had the guitar for a long time and I always liked it as just a plain-jane acoustic. *Dreadnought style, black pickguard...nothing fancy, just an acoustic. *And that is how I like them. *Acoustic gets kinda boring for me since the only thing I can really do on them is solo pieces arranged for one guitar. *I'm not a rhythm guitarist for accompaniment by any means, as I find that to be quite boring. *So the only thing I get out of it are pieces that maybe Eric Johnson or Michael Hedges would do -- very textural, solo acoustic pieces. *It plays well, and that is about all that is important to me if it isn't a Martin.

Tags
acoustic guitar , black pickguard , ebony fretboard , eric johnson , fender hot rod , fender hot rod deluxe , fender strat , local music store , music store , nylon strings , piezo bridge , piezo pickup , piezo system , string acoustic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode