What can you tell me about this guitar???? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

What can you tell me about this guitar????

My guitar teacher wants to sell me this guitar, here's the story, he bought it around '92 in a Guitar Center in L.A., they said that the person who this guitar was made for, never went to get it, so they sold it to my teacher, as you can see, it's a custom model, but i want more information about it, can somebody tell if this guitar was actually in production, it has an S shape, but I don't know what brande the pickups are, I think it has a Low Pro-Edge, is it a geniune custom?? (I don't know very much about customs), he wants to sell it to me for $1000, is this price ok?
Here are the pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 08:13 PM
Vendor

Looks to me like an absolutley standard S5407. Unless the back of the headstock is marked with an LA serial #, it's normal production. It might have had different picks or something installed, but there's nothing "custom" about it. Price is far too high considering what these have been selling for lately.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 09:01 PM

i really hate when people lie about guitars. tell your teacher to take his guitar and stick it in his......guitar case.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

But is the S5407 supposed to say "Custom Made" on the 21th fret like this one?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 10:17 PM

that inlay is common in s5xx models. it doesn't mean custom like some special ordered it, but a denomination of supposed 'higher end' model, as in a les paul custom.

don't get me wrong, its a cool guitar, just not custom made, and definetely not worth 1k

good luck!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 10:22 PM
Vendor

Yup, do you think if the guitar was truely custom made the one it was made for would want a stupid inlay plaque in it? The N. Hollywood plate address also leads to things like "Made in the USA", "Ibanez Cusom Shop", bla bla bla. All it means is that the parts were shipped over from Japan, the bodies were originally routed for just the bridge humbucker. They would finish routing to model spec, paint and assemble, none of the guitar was actually "made" here. Ibanez claims to have done that for more flexible options, which makes no sence on models like this that weren't offered with options. I still believe they did it to avoid some of the import tarriffs by importing parts instead of finished guitars.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 11:33 PM

i must add....if i ordered a custom guitar the last thing i would ask for is an ugly plaque!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! , so how much should I give my teacher, like $450?, also, do you know what kind of pickups are those?, because I have an RG7420, and I wanna know if they are the same pickups in that S guitar, it sucks that here in Mexico, we don't have too much access to the higher or prestige guitars, so we get confused when we don't see the usual RG cheap models (anyway, Strats and Strats copies rule the market, it sucks cause I've never liked strats, I don't like that thin tone), also, 7 strings have never been very common here in Mexico, I have seen guitars like the RG7420 selling in stores for $800!
So, anyways, thanks a lot for your advice! This is a very nice community!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 12:50 AM
Vendor

I didn't even see the Mexico, that may be the market for that model down there, but the story is all wrong. Stock pickups for that model would be Blaze II's, 2 singles and a hum.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 12:59 AM

Seems like there was a red one for sale a while back in the classifieds for around $1000? If in good shape I would think $450 would be a nice deal.
Greg
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 01:07 AM
Vendor

In the height of the 7 market they almost always sold over $1000, $1200-1300 for rare color and super clean. After the market dropped off though the price tumbled as it did with UV's, it just hits the non-signature models hardest. If it's clean $800's a fair price, super clean and $1k's a fair price, just slow to find a buyer. Player condition look under $750.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 01:14 PM

mexico is near enough to the US to order from there. here in chile it is even worse maybe, luckily, thanks to this site nobody can sell you crap. too bad i have to pay about 150 us for shipping a guitar. even with that sometimes it's better.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 05:24 PM

Reviews: 5
Considering that this guy tried to rip you off already, I wouldn't offer him ANYTHING. Just walk away- from his "custom made"(hahahahahahahaha) guitar, and especially from HIM. You're looking to this guy to teach you, and he betrayed your trust.
I had a similar Ibanez that had that exact same "custom made" logo. I picked it up off the wall at Gc, and they had about a DOZEN of them. I paid about $500 for mine NEW. I wouldn't trust your teacher for the correct time of day.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 10:40 PM

"Custom Made"....just like the other 1000 they did. :-)

For reference: Rob Balducci's S5407 sold for just under $1K, with case (great condition).
Then again, he did use it on a couple of albums.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 12:23 AM

It's not custom made - nearly all S series guitars bear that logo(apparently it means "Prestige" or something in Japan), but all the same S5407s are pretty damned scarce. I don't think $1k is overpriced at all if it's in good condition, and that's saying a lot since everyone here knows I'm a cheapskate. LOL

Again, these are pretty rare to stumble across. Take into consideration the condition and whether or not you get a case before making a purchase.

Tags
bridge hum , bridge humbucker , custom guitar , ibanez guitars , les paul , les paul custom , prestige guitar , prestige guitars , rob balducci , string guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode