What are the differences between six and 7 strings? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

What are the differences between six and 7 strings?

I'm thinking about buying a seven string guitar, now i do expect the neck to be bigger ofcourse. But what else is different? I's the lo pro 7 as easy to use as an 6 string or is it more stiff, can it do flutters and all other wammy tricks etc... Is the body of an rg7 same size as an rg 6 string? How's the balance, the neck is probably heavier. Anything else people have come across?

Questions questions, well i hope to see some answers. Thanks.

And as this being my first post, I have to say: This is a great forum, i've already had much of helpful info from you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 06:15 PM

i have found that they aren't much different.. i can go between my 8527 and my 3120 with no trouble at all. the trems feel a litle different. the 3120 is a Lo Pro Edge, and the 8527 is the newer Edge Pro 7, which could be the reason. my 8527 feels a little bit tighter than my 3120 but nothing real noticable. i have been able to do all the same stuff on my 7 as my 6. personally, i like the bigger neck of the 7 string. oh and yes the body is the same.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 11:12 AM

Depending on string gauges you throw on the seven, the trem is likely to feel a little more stiff to you...also depends on how loose and broken in your six string trem is by comparison. My UVPWH trem is pretty similar to all my Iby six strings, granted this guitar is like 13 years old and has seen some use. It flutters just as good as the Jem and it's a 95, seen some use as well. The trem is outstanding so don't worry about that at all. Grab a seven and have some fun finding new things to do, the fun is in the experimentation and the low B sound is just awesome.

Welcome to the forum.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 12:01 PM

Yeah, I found it a little hard to believe too, but someone did a comparison with a stripped RG6 and RG7 body around here once, and aside from a few little details around the neck route, the size is identical.

The neck is heavier, though, so the balance is off- try a leather strap with the "rough" side to you, to hold it in place. And the trem will feel a little stiffer, due to the extra (heavy) string you've got on it. Finally, while the trem-side string spacing is identical to a 6, the strings will be slightly closer at the nut than is standard for a 6-string. I can't tell the difference, but maybe some people can.

I'm suprised no one's made the obligatory "um... one extra string?" post.

-D
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 12:43 PM

Um...one extra string?

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 01:31 PM

Damn, I was gonna do that!
Gary - The.Godfather
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 02:36 PM

yeah, not much difference. just an extra string.

i actually found it quite easy to adapt when i got my first 7
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 03:28 PM

*sigh*

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Well thanks everybody, good to hear the trem should works as good as i'm used. Now i do have one more question... Neck sizes on seven strings. Here in Holland I can only get the rg 1527 or the universe 777P ultra neck or uv neck.
And the universe is also more than twice the price of an rg. Does anyone think it's worth it (except for the looks, it's a killer!!!!).
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 01:50 AM

since you're just starting out on 7's, you might want to go with the 7string RG, simply because it costs less. you know, just incase you don't really dig it, which i *suppose* is possible
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildealien
since you're just starting out on 7's, you might want to go with the 7string RG, simply because it costs less. you know, just incase you don't really dig it, which i *suppose* is possible
[ princess bride ]

Inconceivable!!

[ / princess bride ]
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 11:46 AM

haha, saw that mopvie for the first time since I was a kid abotu a year ago. I was suprised just how much I loved it- I mean, i was like 6 when I first saw that, I figured it'd be a really dorky love story or something- I mean, I went with my parents. But nope, solid movie.

-D
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
haha, saw that mopvie for the first time since I was a kid abotu a year ago. I was suprised just how much I loved it- I mean, i was like 6 when I first saw that, I figured it'd be a really dorky love story or something- I mean, I went with my parents. But nope, solid movie.

-D
Yep. Just like Python, best enjoyed with a couple of pints, I might add.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CQ7String
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildealien
[ princess bride ]

Inconceivable!!

[ / princess bride ]
"you keep using that word... i don't think it means what you think it means."

yeah, try to find yourself a decent, used RG7... you won't be disappointed!

here's the Jemsite spec sheets for Ibanez 7's.
http://www.jemsite.com/axes/htm_features/spec_ib7.htm
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-16-2004, 04:22 AM Thread Starter

yes, i know the rg is a good choise because than I won't spend as much and bla bla... But It wil be difficult to find a used rg7 where i live, while the universe sometimes does appear on the used market. So i have to choose to spend $900 on a rg 7 or $1000 on a used universe...

Mwahh, i'll just gonna try them both and see wich one i like best.

Tags
frank falbo , pro edge , string gauges

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode