What on earth is this thing? Help... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

What on earth is this thing? Help...

I've got a chance to buy or trade toward this thing. It's fugly as anything I've ever seen but I have a feeling that it'll be a really nice player for my studio. It's on the other side of town so I thought I'd get some opinions on what it might be before I make the trip to go see it.
Owner says there's no info on the guitar other the serial is #f121091 (Japan, 91'?), and the bridge is a "liscenced by Floyd".
I'm hoping it's something special but I don't want to make a three hour round trip for an Rg550 w/ an ugly paint job.
Thoughts??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 10:11 PM

Re: What on earth is this thing? Help...

Well I'm not the best source but it looks like an RG that was painted. I forget in if they had a 1 pickup model at that time. But because the head stock and inlays are red, and those colors aren't used anywhere else on the guitar I'm guessing the body was repainted.

edit* I think it's a rpainted rg565 and they filled the neck single coil slot. see here same color inlays and head stock: http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/us/1991/rg5.jpg it's from the '91 catalouge.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 10:14 PM

Ibz USA Custom body is "Music of the Sphere" with a red 565 neck. It is a mutt.

http://www.ibanezregister.com/Galler...fthesphere.htm
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 10:17 PM

see I told you I'm not the best source
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
Ibz USA Custom body is "Music of the Sphere" with a red 565 neck. It is a mutt.

http://www.ibanezregister.com/Galler...fthesphere.htm
Damn, you're good! That was all of.. 5 minutes????
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 10:28 PM

Ugly? that thing is bad ass, to bad the red doesn't match though.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 10:29 PM

You learn about about Ibanez guitars hanging out in this forum. There are folks here who know so much more bout ibbys than I.

How much does he want for it? If it does not have any nut cracks or major damage I say get it if you like it. I am not a big one pup fan as I limits what the guitar can do.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
You learn about about Ibanez guitars hanging out in this forum. There are folks here who know so much more bout ibbys than I.

How much does he want for it? If it does not have any nut cracks or major damage I say get it if you like it. I am not a big one pup fan as I limits what the guitar can do.
(love the screen name!)

He says 700 but I know it's a bluff as he's taking any reasonable offer or an MIM Tele in trade, so I'm thinking I could possibly talk him out of it for $300 or less. I like the single EMG idea since it's the only sound I can't get from my three main guitars (7VWH, American Tele, & a Gibsom Les Paul Supreme). I have a few cheaper guitars but they never get played and I would hate for this one to end up on my 'island of misfit guitars'.

Is the USA custom a decent body? The 565 neck is "middle of the road", right? I only use my guitars for recording so I am picky about sound quality.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 10:54 PM

I think that if the body and neck are in good shape it should shread well if thats what your into. If you can get it for under 500 snag it. 565's were very nice and USA customs were top of the heap too.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
(love the screen name!)

He says 700 but I know it's a bluff as he's taking any reasonable offer or an MIM Tele in trade, so I'm thinking I could possibly talk him out of it for $300 or less. I like the single EMG idea since it's the only sound I can't get from my three main guitars (7VWH, American Tele, & a Gibsom Les Paul Supreme). I have a few cheaper guitars but they never get played and I would hate for this one to end up on my 'island of misfit guitars'.

Is the USA custom a decent body? The 565 neck is "middle of the road", right? I only use my guitars for recording so I am picky about sound quality.
The body itself is worth at least $300 if not more, you dont see to many of these, the neck is also worth probably about the same if its in really good condition, reverse headstock maple necks are highly sought after, and this one being red brings it up even more. $700 seems about right for this guitar.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 11:35 PM

Reviews: 2

I hate to say it (because it involves changing the valuable neck) but maybe you could have the headstock repainted black and a new logo applied? If it matched, I think it would be an awesome guitar and top quality Ibanez. For some reason, I think the red dot inlays look fine though.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 02:38 AM

Reviews: 2

Tell you what, if you can get that thing and you don't like it or whatever, I'll make a deal with you for it........let me know.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
It's fugly as anything I've ever seen...
how dare you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stygian View Post
you could have the headstock repainted black and a new logo applied?
how dare you!!!

guys, please! quit drinking!
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 04:08 AM

That guitar is aching to be restored "back" to a 565. The body needs refinishing in red and a new single coil stuck in the neck position.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp RG View Post
That guitar is aching to be restored "back" to a 565. The body needs refinishing in red and a new single coil stuck in the neck position.
So you would destroy a work of art that was only limited to like 250 pieces? It would be much better to get a 560 body, fill in the middle and then refinish that

Tags
custom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode