What finish did Ibanez use on their 1987 line? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 02:55 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
What finish did Ibanez use on their 1987 line?

I didn't have to specify a year really, but I just want to know what finish is on my '87 RG. I'm going to repaint it using acrylic lacquer. I don't really want to have to cover up the trem, pickup and control cavities (just paint over them), and I want to find out if my paint will be compatible.

And while we're on topic. Just for curiosity sake, I'm interested in what finishes they used from this year to that, and what they use today. So, can anybody help me out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 03:13 AM

Re: What finish did Ibanez use on their 1987 line?

are you talking about what brand of paint or just what colors they used?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 03:18 AM Thread Starter

I mean how is the paint based. (i.e. lacquer, poly)
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 10:31 AM

Polyester. I'd highly suggest taking it apart before you paint though. There's really nothing to it. --Jason
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 10:48 AM

Reviews: 18

I agree. If you're going to repaint the guitar, do it right or don't do it at all

Jimmy
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 10:56 AM

As I read the original post, he was worried about having to cover the pickup, trem, and control CAVITIES. So I am assuming he was going to take it apart, but was worried about having to paint over the cavities with an incompatible paint type. I could be wrong, but that is how I read it.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moebius View Post
As I read the original post, he was worried about having to cover the pickup, trem, and control CAVITIES. So I am assuming he was going to take it apart, but was worried about having to paint over the cavities with an incompatible paint type. I could be wrong, but that is how I read it.
YES! He has it correct. I can be a bit cheap sometimes, but I'm not that lazy, haha. So no guys, I'm not going to paint the guitar together, in fact it's already apart (no pickups, wiring) and mostly sanded. I just have to get the tricky spots along the curves.

Polyester is what they used around this year, huh? Will there be a problem if acrylic lacquer gets painted into the control cavities? I suppose I could tape them off, BUT even if I try to do that and the paint is not compatible it could seep under the tape in a spot or two and react. I just want to avoid this problem.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 12:24 AM

I have refinished a few of these and never had a problem with new paint raising the old. I suspect the poly is impervious to nearly anything.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 02:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I have refinished a few of these and never had a problem with new paint raising the old. I suspect the poly is impervious to nearly anything.
Nice to hear, thanks. While on the subject.. did you use woodfill or a sanding sealer on the basswood? And what grit sandpaper did you use before you applied your primer? (I have no idea what to use on bare basswood, but wow is it SOFT.)

I was hoping I could just sand the wood and go straight to primer.

Last edited by Stygian; 04-06-2008 at 02:37 AM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 12:05 PM

sounds like he doesnt want to paint over the cavities becasue it has conductive paint over it..and it would require to redo it, i dont se how thats saying he was going to do it wrong
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuno View Post
are you talking about what brand of paint or just what colors they used?
I'm actually trying to match the jewel blue paint on my 1990 RG570. If anyone knows what brand and color they used or something close, please let me know. Thanks.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 11:48 AM

I used sanding sealer on my RG550 project before priming. I think two or three coats were needed because the edges are so dang easy to sand through the sealer. I used up to 320 on the body before sealing then 320 after sealing and then sprayed on the primer. Once I had several thin coats of primer on I sanded it down wiht 400 grit to get a really nice thin smooth coat of primer. Then made one more light pass with the primer just to make sure the surface was rough enough for the paint to hold.

I've done that process twice now because the first time I got to the painting I was WAY overzealous and put really heavy coats of paint on it that ran like an olympic event was taking place. But I learned my lesson when I had to sand all of that back off of there and reprime it. D'oh!

But happily I have put on my first 6 coats of clear this weekend and hope to get to the rest this week. Then I will let it sit for 2-4 weeks to properly cure before the finishing sanding. I can't wait to put this baby back together.

P.S. I found that in the trem cavity and the pickup cavities the factory either didn't put any ploy down or it was VERY little. I did remove all of the shielding paint though. Partly by accident and partly because once a small part of it started to come off, I decided to just use copper tape for shielding once I have it finished painting. It turns out to be MUCH easier that way.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 01:20 PM

"it that ran like an olympic event" LOL
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sable View Post
Refinishing stuff
That's very very helpful, thanks. I've been reading tips for refinishing guitars here and there, but I appreciate yours more because it's another basswood RG like my own. That's about as close of advice I can get, and I'm new to this so I can use it!

What type of clear coat are you using on your project?

Tags
clear coat , pickup cavities

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode