What to get SZ520FM or ARC300 ? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

What to get SZ520FM or ARC300 ?

I am looking to get a guitar again as I miss playing electrics... My max budget is about 350ish so I wanna get something with a bit of bang for buck.

I've looked at the SZ520FM and it looks sweet - string through etc - 330ish
I've also looked at the ARC300 - 275.

I am after a non-floating trem - either fixed bridge or string through. What would you say was the best out of them? Or any other suggestions?
Don't want to use **** due to dodgy sellers.

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 08:14 AM

Re: What to get SZ520FM or ARC300 ?

Well, I own both of them and they are both great guitars. You can't really go wrong with either. The 520 is made in Korea and the 300 is made in China.

ARC300
Pros: Fantastic fit and finish. Triple bindings around body and neck. Two piece abalone fret markers, fine tuning tailpiece, Unique carved top. Very comfortable
Cons: Pickups are good but not great. They serve classic rock more.

SZ520
Pros: Smooth heal neck through providing nice upper fret access. String thru body for improved sustain. Comfortable. Decent sounding pickups. Better than the stock ARC300.
Cons: Finish isn't as nice as the ARC300. Body binding is Faux (taped off natural maple). No fret markers on the fretboard (just sides). This is or isn't a con depending on your playing level. Pickup selector isn't as smooth as ARC300.

It's really a tough call. I guess it depends on your style of music. I think the ARC300 is a prettier guitar. It's the only Les Paul style guitar I own. All the others are strat style. The SZ520 feels a bit easier to play. Honestly, you can't go wrong with either one. The ARC300 is cheaper, but if you replace the pickups (I have a SD JB/Jazz combo in mine), then you are looking at about the same cost for both.

Your other option is a Schecter if you want a string thru/neck thru guitar.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Just been offered an RT650 for £350 too oooooh
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

RT 650s are great guitars, very different fromt ehothers you mentioned, but it'd be my choice of the 3.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 10:54 AM

Well, they aren't a floating trem but you mentioned you wanted a string through or a stop tailpiece.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

just want something that won't take 10 years to tune

Jono - would you say £350 is too much for one of them? Harmony Central seem to slate the RT350 - hence me now being a bit put off...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Frankly I think it depends on the condition of course and the goodies.

If it's got a decent case, is in good condition and it's the colour you like, then it might be about right. If it's caseless or beaten up a little then you might want to ask them to come down in price a bit.

The trouble I'm having here, is that I don't see them changing hands a lot, so its very hard for me to say what's a bargain and what's a rip off etc.

I've only tried a few 650s, and I have to say I really did like the ones I've tried. I've also tried an RT240 (amber alder body, and tortoiseshell guard with SSH)which wasn't NEARLY as good
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 02:28 PM

RT post located here, here, here and here.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 10:32 AM

i have owned all 3. i still own a sz520 and arc300. am trying to find another rt650. out of all 3, i would snatch up an rt650. the arc300 and sz520 are more along the lines of a les paul. the rt650 is more strat like. strats are typically more versatile than les paul styles, but depending on setup, any of them can be. mine are loaded with duncans, JP switches, and push pull pots, setup in a strat v/t/t. so mine are super versatile. any one will do, but the rt650 would be my first choice.

rich

Tags
alder body , fixed bridge , fret access , fret markers , les paul , les paul style guitar , neck thru , strat style , string thru body , upper fret , upper fret access

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode