what guitar is this? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

what guitar is this?

This is Jim Martin's guitar from the band Faith No More. he was in the band until 1993 and recently I've found a bunch of videos on youtube.com where he uses this guitar. It's his signature I guess. I would like to know what exact guitar it is though since I'm not too sure. It looks like a gibson V all black with mirror pickguards on the side. He was so badass back in the 80's and early 90's playing on this bad boy.

so any help would be appreciated thanks. here is the only pic I could find but these videos off youtube.com show it best.

http://youtube.com/w/Faith-no-more-E...th%20no%20more

http://youtube.com/w/Faith-No-More-%...%20more%20easy

http://youtube.com/w/Faith-No-More--...th%20no%20more

I made some screencaps as well:

Last edited by mike2558; 01-31-2006 at 05:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 04:53 PM

Re: what guitar is this?

I'm stumped. Guessing BC Rich or possibly a Dean... probably a BC Rich... or a custom?

Good wall of Marshall cabs at least!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 05:17 PM

As far as I am aware Jim had two Gibson Flying Vees - they lived at his parents place as he was perpetually terrified of them getting stolen. He was/is an unusual dude. The Gibsons were/are fairly modified, and yes, he kicked *ss!
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 10:54 PM

I looks sort of like a modded Gibson V..
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 03:22 AM

i swear ive seen a similar headstock, maybe on a carvin?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 07:10 AM

His sound was something indeed... i love it...!

I was just thinking about doing this exact same thread, only without the pics...

Any idea on what pickups might have been on his Vs?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McCarroll
As far as I am aware Jim had two Gibson Flying Vees - they lived at his parents place as he was perpetually terrified of them getting stolen. He was/is an unusual dude. The Gibsons were/are fairly modified, and yes, he kicked *ss!
I remember Jim saying he absolutely hated the time they recorded Angel Dust and it was one of the reasons why he left Faith No More.

Regards

André

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallie!
i swear ive seen a similar headstock, maybe on a carvin?
It looks like an older Aria Pro II or a GMW. Different, anyway
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettouhi
I remember Jim saying he absolutely hated the time they recorded Angel Dust and it was one of the reasons why he left Faith No More.

Regards

André
he didn't like how Mike Patton controlled the group and the album took a more vocal approach as apposed to Jim being the spotlight with more guitar-centred music in their previous albums. He skipped practices and recording sessions after Angel Dust and then left the band.

Some solos he did way back, I still love and enjoy.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeohollicA
he didn't like how Mike Patton controlled the group and the album took a more vocal approach as apposed to Jim being the spotlight with more guitar-centred music in their previous albums. He skipped practices and recording sessions after Angel Dust and then left the band.

Some solos he did way back, I still love and enjoy.
Angel Dust still rocks as do the older ones.

Regards

André

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 05:04 PM

It's a modded Gibson V. Nothing custom or bespoke besides the Kahler trem, mirrored pickguard and truss rod cover. I seem to remember reading in an interview (way back!) that the pickups were just stock Gibson with chrome covers.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

^ cool thanks. this will definitely be a future project of mine to re-create Jim Martin's beast of an axe.

Quote:
Angel Dust still rocks as do the older ones.

Regards

André
Definitely. Have you heard of Mr. Bungle as well? Such incredibly awesome music. Mike Patton is a God. Tomahawk is also amazing.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 06:18 PM

Yea, I miss FNM. Have to say Album of the Year it was not.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallopwallop
It's a modded Gibson V. Nothing custom or bespoke besides the Kahler trem, mirrored pickguard and truss rod cover. I seem to remember reading in an interview (way back!) that the pickups were just stock Gibson with chrome covers.
The tuners have been replaced as well if you look at it. They are some larger tuners like one might expect to find on a bass!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 10:03 PM

Yep- it was an old Gibson with a Kahler. The only thing I don't know is it was factory or not- Some of the 80s Vs had Kahlers from the factory.

Tags
david mccarroll , kahler trem , marshall cabs , mirrored pickguard , truss rod , truss rod cover

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode