What Guitar and Bridge is this? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2020, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

What Guitar and Bridge is this?

Hello Everyone,
I am new to the forum and hope you can all help me. I was bought what I believe to be an Ibanez SA 160 many years ago but I cannot find it in any catalogue. It was made in Korea and it's product code starts with WY which I can't get any info around. I am in the process of modifying the guitar pickups and machine heads. I need to replace the bridge cause I don't really like it and the screws are slowly stripping.

I have the following questions:
1) Can anyone confirm if this is an SA 160?
2) Can anyone confirm what bridge this is?
3) Can a Sat Pro or Sat Pro II fit this guitar as I may want to get that bridge instead?
4) If I can use these bridges then which is the preferred the Sat Pro or the Sat Pro II?
5) I was interested in using a Wilkinson, does anyone know if this would fit? I am under the impression it won't.
6) Can anyone confirm if the stock nut is graphite or is it plastic?

Sorry for all the questions but this will really help me out a lot!

Kind regards to you all
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200414-224910_1586900976413.jpg (129.4 KB, 79 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 05:42 AM

Re: What Guitar and Bridge is this?

The SA160 has been produced in various guises since 2000. Yours looks like the QM model, with the veneer top. The W denotes the factory (World Instruments) and Y is November; the next digit indicates the year, and the remainder a consecutive production number.

Bridge was a SAT30 in the noughties, I believe; stock nut is plastic.

If you wish to fit a Wilkinson/Gotoh type bridge (Wilkinson is made by Gotoh, fwiw), check the post spacing (centre to centre) and block length, if you have a match, then you can seamlessly retrofit a new bridge (Ibanez OEM and Gotoh are both metric). The Gotoh website typically lists all these specs for their bridges. They offer a number of two post bridges in different finishes in brass or steel saddle configuration.

Likewise, Gotoh tuners ought to be a direct fit.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the help with this!

This is ectremely helpful!
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
check the post spacing (centre to centre) and block length...
Yes, yes -- what he said! There was one (or possibly 2) years in which the post spacing on the early SA models matched the Floyd Rose width (74.3 mm), rather than the more standard Fender style spacing (56 mm). It's hard to tell from your pic, but I think you might have one of the releases with the wider spacing. Most 2-post replacement trems, including the Wilkinsons, conform to the Fender standard.

There are not many non-locking trems that will retro-fit the Floyd spacing, but they include the early SAT-Pro which also had the Floyd spacing. Another is the Schaller "Vintage" trem which, although it's called "vintage" actually has the Floyd spacing. And of course, there's always the non-fine tuner Floyd, but I don't recommend that one because it sits high without a recessed route, and the nut-to-post centerline distance is supposed to be about 1/8-1/4" shorter than the distance on the SA models.

Of course, I could be wrong about the post spacing on yours, in which case you can ignore this entire post and trust what Ashurbanipal said!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 11:59 AM

Followup -- I just checked the post spacing on my SA160, which is an exact match to yours right down to the color, and the post spacing is indeed 74.3 mm. If yours is the same, then the various Wilkinsons, Gotohs, etc will not fit without pulling the old posts and redrilling. I don't recommend that given that it has a nice quilted top. Your best option for an "upgrade" is probably the Schaller vintage I mentioned above.

However, I actually think the original SAT trem is a very well designed unit. It's basically a Wilkinson knock off (except for the post spacing) and it performs well.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Stratoskier!!

I really appreciate the effort you put into checking the measurements etc. My bridge is the same measurement so agreed with the comments you have made. I actually didnt know if the Sat30 was decent or not, I just assumed the Sat Pro and Sat Pro II would be more effective. So wasnt sure if those could be swapped out, cant find measurements for them anywhere! and if it would be more advisable to use those vs the Sat30.

I havent really had issues with the Sat30, but the one challenge I do have is the screws to raise are starting to strip over the many years of services my guitar has had. Cant find any replacements so growing more and more concerned with every service lol.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2020, 11:54 AM

Yeah, the various Gotoh 2-post trems have a 56mm post spacing; Wilkinson VS100 is a tad wider but not much.

The Schaller vintage trem would be a pretty nice piece of kit. There seem to be a couple of versions out there - with Strat style bent steel saddles and block saddles (both KTS titanium); or roller saddles. Because this trem has two rounded knife edges, post spacing needs to be spot on for maximum function/tuning stability. One reason why a lot of aftermarket trems out there have one straight knife, which allows for a looser tolerance in post spacing.

Another possible option is the Hipshot Contour trem, but I don't know what the post spacing on this on is.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
There seem to be a couple of versions out there - with Strat style bent steel saddles and block saddles (both KTS titanium); or roller saddles.
I didn't know that. I've only seen the roller saddle version. Where did you see the version with the other saddle types?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2020, 04:01 AM

Schaller website.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 11:43 AM

One reason why a lot of aftermarket trems out there have one straight knife, which allows for a looser tolerance in post spacing.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2020, 06:08 AM

thank you so much for given beautiful details with us!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode