What guitar should I get? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

What guitar should I get?

So I am a beginner and I am looking to buy a guitar. I like classic rock, indie, progressive, alternative, and the like. My budget is about $150. I was eyeing some rg120 and 170s and was wondering if they are good guitars? I noticed the 170 has a single coil so I am assuming I can get some nice clean sounds.

Originally my plan was to get a stratocaster but I can't find that many used on ebay, and the ones I do find are usually over priced. I could get one at guitar center but it would have to be shipped and used items don't take paypal and my money is in paypal and I can't buy an egiftcard with paypal either or some reason. In any case I found a nice looking standard strat for $99 but it has a dent in the back that goes into the wood. I thought about getting a dual humbucker tele but those are also out of my price range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 02:45 AM

Reviews: 2
Re: What guitar should I get?

$150 is very little money. $300 would get you somewere. You got a Rg350 on xbay now for $150. Then you get a edge 3 trem at least. My opinion would be to stay away from the 120 and 170 series. I guess you could find MIJ Ibanez RG's and S models for not so much money and they are so much better then those. Or some Fender Squiers. If you have a really bad guitar you might stop playing, then it would be better to have a better one that you could have for a while and grow together with and that won't brake.

Last edited by maqify; 11-24-2012 at 02:51 AM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 02:56 AM

Reviews: 120

I'd actually look at a Squier Affinity series Strat, or if you can push your budget a little further, Squier Classic Vibe Strat. These are great bang for buck for beginners.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 03:21 AM

save a little bit more and get a decent ax. after just a little while you'll probably thinking of upgrading as your skills develop so IMO better get a good ax that you wont be frustrated and can be used for a fairly long time. and get a fixed bridge.

most beginner gave up after a couple of month usually due to frustration (happened to me long time ago)...this guitar is hard to play, the neck is tiring to play, sounds like sh**, tuners are sh** that kind of stuff..if you can, have a good base to start on just my $0.02.

2nd hand corts, AXLs, washburns, squires...local pawnshop, garage sale etc..
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 04:42 AM

Reviews: 1

I think the RG120 / RG170's are decent guitars for their price. I've played a few new RG120's in Guitar Center when they discontinued them and were blowing them out for $119 and was pleasantly suprised at how playable they were. I played a few others in the price range (Squire Bullet, Dean) and they couldn't touch the RG.

You could do a lot worse for $100.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
I'd actually look at a Squier Affinity series Strat, or if you can push your budget a little further, Squier Classic Vibe Strat. These are great bang for buck for beginners.
I was considering one of those but I kept getting told to get a standard at minimum they're like 100-150.

How is the washburn rx10? worldmusicsupply .com/Washburn-RX10-Electric-Guitar-in-Gloss-Black.html

Last edited by Themius; 11-24-2012 at 03:31 PM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 03:56 PM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
+1 for the Squier Classic Vibe series.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Classic vibe is out of the budget though , how is the wasburn x10 or rx10?

I could get a used standard or affinity too.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 09:58 PM

Save up and get a jem.... Or usa fender
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 10:15 PM

Reviews: 2

Stay away from the lower end washburns...........not worth the time or money.

If you want to put you money to good use, get on craigslist. I was just browsing in central NJ and saw a nice condition RG5EX1 for $200 that I'm sure is negotiable.

FWIW...... I found this '88 RG760HP on craigslist for $150:

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 10:32 PM

I know it's not an Ibanez, but I saw an OLP MM1 used for $150 at Sam Ash the other day. Best $150 guitar I've ever played. Probably the best sub-$400 guitar I've ever played.

My other suggestion for you if you're a beginner is to not get a guitar with a floating trem. There are two reasons for this:

1) The floating trems on guitars in your price range aren't the best

2) They are a pain in the butt to set up and adjust, and as a beginner you probably don't want to deal with that. Imagine spending half your lesson getting in tune. Imagine breaking a string and having to spend and hour or more getting everything all set up again.

A non-floating tremolo or hardtail is your best bet, IMO. You can change strings in like 10 minutes and get in tune in like 2 minutes or less.

I expect to be flamed for this. I don't care.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 11:51 PM

Reviews: 120

Affinity strat for sure. It's a thinner than standard body, but still alder. Sounds like a strat should. Great value guitars these days.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 12:18 AM

Reviews: 15

Also the MIK Squiers from the early to mid 90's are a pretty good bang for the buck too. I have one that I bought new in '93(IIRC) that's been used and abused and still plays like a champ.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 01:37 AM

If you can possibly wait, try to catch a bargain on Craigslist. Make sure you get to try it out. There are some great deals on there. I picked up a G&L tele with humbuckers and a floyd rose for $200 recently and it's just so satisfying to play. I agree with ironfistx that a hardtail or non-floating trem will be easier to deal with so bear that in mind. Whatever you do pick a guitar that just makes you WANT to play. Each time you put it down you'll want to pick it straight back up again! I spend a lot of time at work looking forward to getting home and playing so as long as your choice of axe makes you feel that way you'll be on a winner. I can highly recommend the Ibanez RG350 roadster green metallic if you find one. Good luck!

Tags
first guitar , ibanez , rg120 , rg170

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode