What guitars interest you - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

What guitars interest you

Hi everyone!
Im kind of new to the whole guitar scene. I just started up within the past couple of months. I was just wondering what do you all look for in a guitar when you buy one? besides the name of a guitar what else do you look for in a model? Is there one particular type of guitar thats superior to them all or is it based more on comfortability and preference?
Since I just started I was givin an Ibanez GSA 20, im not a complete nube because I do play acoustic but as far as electric wise this guitar looks crappy compared to others(it worksout great for me tho) so thats why I ask!
I know it might seem like a stupid question but llike I said, im new so take it easy.
THANKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 12:23 AM

Re: What guitars interest you

I have this fantasy of, next time I buy a guitar, going into the store with a blindfold and saying "Don't even tell me the brand, just keep handing me guitars and I'll play them unseen until I find The One."

I look for a guitar that has lots of detail in the sound. Some guitars tend to smoothe out the rough edges in the player's style, while others emphasise every little detail, which I prefer because it helps push me to become a better playing. I love my Ibanez Talman and my Telecaster project guitar for that reason. Then when I switch to my easier-to-play Ibanezes, my style isn't defined by them.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 09:24 AM

i try to try as many as possible, not looking for features
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 04:17 PM

Reviews: 6

I look for a couple of things: How the neck feels, and how it sounds. Yes, one can change pickups, but a guitar that sounds like it's coated in a layer of plastic will sound that way regardless of what pickups go in. Playing an electric unplugged gives a good indication of this.

The neck also has to feel good in my hands. No specific profile, no specific type, just does it feel good. That can be a Les Paul neck, a Strat neck....doesn't matter.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 04:49 PM
Banned

i play nothing but jems,only other guitar id be interested in beside jems would be les paul.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 06:07 PM

Suhr interest me quite a bit at the moment!
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviate View Post
Hi everyone!
Im kind of new to the whole guitar scene. I just started up within the past couple of months. I was just wondering what do you all look for in a guitar when you buy one? besides the name of a guitar what else do you look for in a model? Is there one particular type of guitar thats superior to them all or is it based more on comfortability and preference?
Since I just started I was givin an Ibanez GSA 20, im not a complete nube because I do play acoustic but as far as electric wise this guitar looks crappy compared to others(it worksout great for me tho) so thats why I ask!
I know it might seem like a stupid question but llike I said, im new so take it easy.
THANKS
I'll say this as a bit of a warning. What a lot of the guys here will look for is not the sort of thing a new guitarist should be looking for!!! Many of the guys here have several guitars already, or 40 or 50 of them so they might be looking for one in blue to go with the exact same model they already have in red, black and green.

Overall there isn't one guitar that's better than any other, but some that "fit" a type of music better than others, country players will often play telecaster type guitars, classic rock players might use a Les Paul or a Strat and metal heads will look to ESP and Caparison.

The type of guitar you go for is all down to your own preference, I'd say the feel and the look of the guitar are the most important aspects to consider. you can change the sound of the guitar quite easily these days, turn a few knobs on your amp, buy new pickups, pedals, a new amp whatever. But the feel of the guitar really is intrinsic to the guitar itself, as is the look. If you want a guitar that looks like a Les Paul, don't buy a Strat. It's hard to make one guitar look like another

Many folks will tell you looks of a guitar don't matter, but i've always found that the look of a guitar has a huge influence over how much you actually will want to play it!

If you're looking for a new guitar, look at the types of guitars your favourite players play and start there, play as many guitars that you can, including those way above your price range, so you can find out what you "should" be aiming for feels like.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 11:04 PM

After years of playing all different kinds of guitars i came tp the conclusion that the Stratocaster is the one for me! Looks,feel.weight,sound,easily modded,playability, you name it.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 11:06 PM

Feel, tone, functionality, and looks. That order.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 02:43 AM

I look for exclusivity, how cool it looks and, more importantly: the spec. e.g. The RG770DX reissue is one of the guitars that fits my criteria nicely
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 09:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I'll say this as a bit of a warning. What a lot of the guys here will look for is not the sort of thing a new guitarist should be looking for!!! Many of the guys here have several guitars already, or 40 or 50 of them so they might be looking for one in blue to go with the exact same model they already have in red, black and green.

Overall there isn't one guitar that's better than any other, but some that "fit" a type of music better than others, country players will often play telecaster type guitars, classic rock players might use a Les Paul or a Strat and metal heads will look to ESP and Caparison.

The type of guitar you go for is all down to your own preference, I'd say the feel and the look of the guitar are the most important aspects to consider. you can change the sound of the guitar quite easily these days, turn a few knobs on your amp, buy new pickups, pedals, a new amp whatever. But the feel of the guitar really is intrinsic to the guitar itself, as is the look. If you want a guitar that looks like a Les Paul, don't buy a Strat. It's hard to make one guitar look like another

Many folks will tell you looks of a guitar don't matter, but i've always found that the look of a guitar has a huge influence over how much you actually will want to play it!

If you're looking for a new guitar, look at the types of guitars your favourite players play and start there, play as many guitars that you can, including those way above your price range, so you can find out what you "should" be aiming for feels like.
spot on jono.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post

fo sho.

that said, i'd love to have an rg2027x. it would be middle ground between the 2120x and rg7ct i already own.

rich
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinPie View Post
I look for exclusivity, how cool it looks and, more importantly: the spec. e.g. The RG770DX reissue is one of the guitars that fits my criteria nicely
i have one of the originals in VM...

yay me!

rich
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviate View Post
Hi everyone!
I was just wondering what do you all look for in a guitar when you buy one? ....THANKS
The feel of the neck is first, followed by the resonance and sustain of the instrument unplugged. If a guitar has both of those to a level that makes me happy, I can work with the rest of it.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 10:57 PM

Similar to what jim 777 just said except I think I listen to the resonance and sustain unplugged while playing THEN I see if I like the neck and can bend strings easily etc..

Years ago I'd be in a studio somewhere and play a Strat and LOVED the tones and resonance
unplugged ( kind of like an electric mini version of a Martin 00018 ) but I couldn't play lead on them due to the small radius necks and small frets- but I could play rhythm and fingerpick etc.- now with flatter boards and bigger frets and more resonant woods- it's really great I get the best of all three.

Last edited by robertkoa; 02-12-2010 at 11:24 PM.

Tags
amp , bass , guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode