What guitars are manufactured in the UK? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

What guitars are manufactured in the UK?

For my Design and Technology work I need to visit a guitar company for research but I can't find any companies in the UK that actually manufacture their guitars in the UK also. Anyone know of any, is Status one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 07:53 PM

I always thought that Burns London (Brian May signature guitar) built their guitars in the UK. Could be wrong though. Anyone else just love the sound of the Red Special?

Fabe
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 08:50 PM

The red special wasnt made by burns, it was made by brian may and his father. Later on guild, and burns did eventually make a copy though
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 09:03 PM

I know that the original Red Special was made by Brian and his father. That's why I said that the "Signature Guitar" was made by Burns, get it .

Fabe
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 10:14 PM

I would rather have the guild as you could get those with a locking tremolo
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 12:33 AM

Burns in London

KGB Musical Instruments in Liverpool

Status in Essex

Thats about the extent of the UK unless you want luthier schools.........
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 03:53 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
LOL - Not quite, but almost As far as major producers go you really ARE out of luck though, Burns, I believe, only manufacture a few in the UK anymore with the majority of their work being done overseas, Patrick Eggle are in a constant state of flux as to whether or not they're producing guitars or not after a series of sales of the company.

I'd advise you to firstly tell us how far you want to travel and where abouts you're located in the UK. The next would be to pick up a copy of "guitarist" magazine and look in the back for the small companies' adverts, KGB like Brian suggested, or maybe Harrison guitars or Feline guitars ad so on. You might even look at acoustic guitar makers, we have several fantastic acoustic makers, but most of these are smaller one/two man operations producing crafted rather than manufactured instruments.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 12:05 PM

I've seen some reviews of Woodworm's guitars and they seem pretty damn good, Guitarist magazine liked them a lot. Based in Birmingham

Gordon Smith's guitars are very cheap but solid workhorses, and you can change the specs to your liking. Worth checking out the website. Although I'm wishing I hadn't cos they're cheap and I already spent too much on guitars this year lol There's also links on the site to reviews of some of their range. Based in Partington (near Manchester)

JJ Guitars (formerly JJ Hucke?) seem to be doing well for themselves, and have several Guitarist magazine staff as endorsees! Based in Warwickshire

Hope that helps.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Cheers for the help. I live in the North West but am prepared to travel.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 07:07 AM

I'd go for Gordon Smith myself. With the exception of Burns (who have come and gone over the years anyway), they one of the most established of the UK manufacturers and have been around for years. Apparently they also offer a really personal service with Mr Smith himself delivering batches of guitars to shops from time to time. This probably has something to do with them not being the largest manufacturer in the world.

In terms of technology, Gordon Smith are pretty traditional but he has done some pretty cool one off designs. Apparently he also has a way of inserting the truss rod after the fingerboard has been glued into place!!

My advice is to be confident and aim high. Ask for Mr Smith himself and be so keen that he won't be able to refuse to help you out.

Good Luck!

Tags
acoustic guitar , locking tremolo , patrick eggle , signature guitar , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode