What is "The Holy Grail" worth...Opinions plz - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

What is "The Holy Grail" worth...Opinions plz

Hey guys, thanks for your time...

I recently aquired a BRAND NEW (new old stock) Original '91 RG 550 (White/Maple). When I say "New" I mean virtually untouched, unplayed, has the plastic and brown paper covering the input jack cover, and truss rod covers, still has the original strings that were installed at the fuji-gen factory back in '90. It is 1000% perfect in every way, just like it would have hung on the wall of your favorate Ibanez dealer back in 1991. I would argue that this has been handled by fewer hands than anything "new" on the wall at the average Guitar Center.

The back story is this: It was part of a music stores inventory back in the day, and somehow managed to get tucked away in the storeroom for all intents and purposes "lost"... For almost 20 years...it was found late last year by an employee, who subsiquently bought it, and knowing what it was, hung it on the wall in a glass case for the last few months until deciding to sell it. I can only assume I was appearantly the first to see it for sale and snatched it up instantly. (still jumping up and down inside...lol)

Normally, this would become my main guitar, and I would spend the rest of my days gleefully ripping it up, basking in it's shear perfection, just like I did back in '87 when I brought the first 550DY the store got in home. But, alas... I realize what this thing is probably worth to a collector, altho I am quite sure of the thousands of RG 550's made, there have got to be many in collections out there in "MINT" condition....but of those...how many have been touched by (probably)less than 5 people since the man who signed off on it the day it was finished?..how many still have the factory strings that are still new? ....and how many of those are the rarest color...White? To me playing this guitar would be beyond stupid. It needs/deserves to be hanging on a wall behind glass in a collection or museum with a label that reads..."One of, (if not THE) the most pristine examples of the legendary Ibanez RG 550 left on planet earth".

So, I am left with the question....what is it worth?....what is there to compare it to to judge value?...Only thing I can really do is ask the people who know these beautiful god-like instruments best... you guys. I would really appreciate any opinions or input you guys may have. Either way..."Priceless", or "same as a lightly used one on ****"...

Again thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 03:38 PM
Vendor

Re: What is "The Holy Grail" worth...Opinions plz

Unfortunately I'd have a very hard time believing that a Wizard neck left unadjusted for 20 years, is still a good neck.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 03:49 PM
Banned

sorry to burst your bubble,it is a really nice guitar that i have no doubt about,but you can pick up a rg550 for a few hundred pounds. 500 is top end price for a prestine rg550.if i were you id just keep it,it is a gorgeous guitar.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 04:02 PM

Reviews: 1

they are nice guitars........NICE guitars...in every aspect....but not $1050 nice..even i mint condition....like rob777dy said..you can get them cheaper and in ddecent shape also
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

First off I want to say thanks...

The guitar actually arrives at my door tomorrow, so as far as the neck I simply don't know. Rich could be right and the neck is no good...in which case... I got screwed, and will have to face those facts and deal with it...one would think that any reasonable seller whould mention such a MINOR detail...lol

Assuming for a second the neck is fine, and all is good with that...

My original plan was to sell the Fender Strat Ultra I had listed in the classifieds (after no interest in a trade), and use the proceeds to buy a $1300-$1500 used Jem. It seems from things here that I simply ended up with a brand new RG 550 original instead of a Jem...and get to put the remainder of the winnings toward something else...

To be honest the main reason for wanting the jem in the first place was the neck...that thin fast neck just owns everything in my opinion...everything except the original RG 550...I'm happy with it not being the collectable thing I thought it was...I still win.... I get to rip it up everyday for the rest of my life...([insert applicable god/deity here]'s replacement of the above mentioned stolen '87 RG 550 DY)....Thank You...
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 04:45 PM

Well I guess it is worth the $1050 (to you) because you bought it.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Oh yeah...I'd drop $1100 for a brand new RG 550 original (again assuming the neck is fine) before I'd drop $1200 that they wanted for the reissue that didn't have the original neck. I understand they had to make the neck/joint different due to the inherent problems with the originals, but it doesn't change the fact that the originals "felt better"...at least to me...
Besides...I won big time on the strat...the universe dictates that, that is not going to happen twice in a row...lol
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Unfortunately I'd have a very hard time believing that a Wizard neck left unadjusted for 20 years, is still a good neck.
And that would be the only reason not to play the hell out of it...

Damn, if you want something to hang on a wall, get a painting...
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 06:47 AM

cool that you found that!i had almost the same situation with my jem.play it and keep it clean but you can enjoy it!its a unique situation that you can buy a new guitar like it is 1987!a lot of us dream of that!i have a white rg 550 too!do you think thats a rare collour?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 07:56 AM

Reviews: 25

Slap Pink Dimarzios in and your laughing !!!

Nice find... not worth storing away for collectors value in 50 years... but then again you never know...
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 12:32 PM

It's a gorgeous guitar for sure. I suppose you paid what you thought it was worth so that's well and good. Beautiful looking instrument and I agree with IbanezFreak, pink DM's would be amazing. As Rob said 500 is prob the absolute max for a pristine one in the UK. Anyway congratz on an amazing guitar.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 01:05 PM

Reviews: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianozz View Post
And that would be the only reason not to play the hell out of it...

Damn, if you want something to hang on a wall, get a painting...
I agree with this. You would probably get a nice painting for that too.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 01:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianxtr View Post
cool that you found that!i had almost the same situation with my jem.play it and keep it clean but you can enjoy it!its a unique situation that you can buy a new guitar like it is 1987!a lot of us dream of that!i have a white rg 550 too!do you think thats a rare collour?
thats a good point mate,you dont see many white rg550's.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 02:31 PM

I'm not sure I can consider it the "Ibanez Holy Grail". Maybe the Maxxas that they made for Steve Vai would be. Nice guitar, otherwise.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 03:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Secret View Post
I'm not sure I can consider it the "Ibanez Holy Grail". Maybe the Maxxas that they made for Steve Vai would be. Nice guitar, otherwise.
holy grail=jem777vdy

Tags
nos rg 550

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode