What I Hate About Ibanez - Page 3 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 323 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 09:10 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 2,647
Re: What I Hate About Ibanez

Quote:
Originally Posted by red5
What I hate is how the RG series come with INF pickups and not Evolutions, or what I would put in them - Tone Zone bridge and PAF Pro neck....
the js,jem,gilbert and j-customs have dimarzios. I know the j-customs did i don't know if they still do .

i really wish they'd do like esp/ltd and come out with some good pickups in guitars that where a little lower priced.
j.arledge is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 323 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 11:38 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia
Posts: 1,740
Re: What I Hate About Ibanez

Quote:
Originally Posted by jra2217
the js,jem,gilbert and j-customs have dimarzios. I know the j-customs did i don't know if they still do .

i really wish they'd do like esp/ltd and come out with some good pickups in guitars that where a little lower priced.
Would be nice to have a "basic" brand for Ibanez like Squier is for Fender and so on. they would need a name for that line though. Anyone have any suggestions?
Jack Secret is offline  
post #33 of 323 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 05:57 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Odense S, Denmark
Posts: 9,952
Re: What I Hate About Ibanez

Quote:
Originally Posted by quik
the piezo-equipped locking trem
And still the only ones offering it.

Regards

André



fettouhi is offline  
post #34 of 323 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 06:03 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Posts: 2,445
Re: What I Hate About Ibanez

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettouhi
And still the only ones offering it.

Regards

André
Maybe Floyd Rose could take a hint...
King Knall is offline  
post #35 of 323 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 06:04 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Posts: 2,445
Re: What I Hate About Ibanez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Secret
Would be nice to have a "basic" brand for Ibanez like Squier is for Fender and so on. they would need a name for that line though. Anyone have any suggestions?
They do, but it's called the GIO series.
King Knall is offline  
post #36 of 323 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 10:47 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,923
Re: What I Hate About Ibanez

Can't quite say that I hate a whole lot about Ibanez, other than the fact that they don't have a custom shop that's open to the public. Gibson, Fender, Jackson, ESP they all have custom shops (ESP has a custom shop you can just walk into like a regular shop where you can piece together your own custom guitar)

Since I can't find any way Ibanez will endorse a guitartech I'll just settle for the J-Customs.
buddroyce is offline  
post #37 of 323 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 01:12 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Richmond, Kentucky
Posts: 3,339
Re: What I Hate About Ibanez

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunkungfu
I had a dk2 with a flamed top and it had the lo pro also had a yamaha rgx and it had a lo pro on it but had yamaha stamped on it also check this number out on evil bay 7347395865 that is a trs lol! and on a higher end Jackson
My point exactly, the guy doesnt know what hes talking about, hes entitled to his opinion, but Ibanez outsells Jackson for a good reason. lol
sniperfrommars1 is offline  
post #38 of 323 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 01:20 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Richmond, Kentucky
Posts: 3,339
Re: What I Hate About Ibanez

Quote:
Originally Posted by quik
That is false. As suggested by the fact that they are "licensed copies" of the OFR, both Ibanez' TRS bridges and Jackson's JT580LP are copies of the OFR. Neither is a copy of the other, and there are some differences between them.

P.S. Sorry for the unintentional thread-hijack, Thrash!

To get back to your point, "What I Hate About Ibanez" is:

Some of the materials used (e.g., basswood bodies, fragile plating on the gold and "Cosmo" hardware, the 7VWH switch from ebony to rosewood fretboards), increased prices (e.g., the RG3120 increase), and moving from Japanese to Korean production on some models.

On the other hand, I like some of Ibanez' innovations, e.g., the AANJ, the piezo-equipped locking trem, and the Jem-style output jack. I also like the beauty in some models, e.g., the vine inlay on the Jem 7VWH.
The trem is the same quality range and initial design as the trs tremolo, both of which are crap, and are initial copys of the same licensed design, not the original floyd rose. How many jacksons have you setup? Have you ever seen metal shavings come off the tremolo due to the crappy metal after you turn the studs? Until you come in with facts and actually prove me wrong instead of saying no, Im going to stick to this rant, because this is what Ive experienced HANDS on. And jackson does attempt to sell many guitars touting them as high end with their crappy licensed tremolo installed.
sniperfrommars1 is offline  
post #39 of 323 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 01:32 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia
Posts: 1,740
Re: What I Hate About Ibanez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze_1
They do, but it's called the GIO series.
That's true, but I think they were talking about budget versions of Jem's and PGM's.
Jack Secret is offline  
post #40 of 323 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 01:50 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Richmond, Kentucky
Posts: 3,339
Re: What I Hate About Ibanez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Secret
That's true, but I think they were talking about budget versions of Jem's and PGM's.
The jem 333 is released overseas, and is a true budget class guitar, the pgm has been released in varying forms as a low end model, but still not true budget, theirs no real reason for EITHER of these guitars to ever be bought unless your a total fanboy, due to the fact that you could get a used japanese rg, for the same cost and twice the value
sniperfrommars1 is offline  
post #41 of 323 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 06:07 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Rhinelander, WI - USA
Posts: 494
Re: What I Hate About Ibanez

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1
The trem is the same quality range and initial design as the trs tremolo, both of which are crap, and are initial copys of the same licensed design, not the original floyd rose. How many jacksons have you setup? Have you ever seen metal shavings come off the tremolo due to the crappy metal after you turn the studs? Until you come in with facts and actually prove me wrong instead of saying no, Im going to stick to this rant, because this is what Ive experienced HANDS on. And jackson does attempt to sell many guitars touting them as high end with their crappy licensed tremolo installed.
Sheesh! Guess I touched a nerve! (I didn't realize locking trems could be such an emotional subject). Let's dissect your "rant" one more time.

“The trem is the same quality range and initial design as the trs tremolo, both of which are crap, and are initial copys of the same licensed design, not the original floyd rose.”

I suspect they are in the same quality range, and their initial designs are bound to be similar, both being licensed copies of the OFR. The previous claim that the Jackson licensed trem is a “copy” of the TRS was false, so I said so. I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings, just trying to keep the info accurate.

“How many jacksons have you setup? Have you ever seen metal shavings come off the tremolo due to the crappy metal after you turn the studs?”

More than I can recall, that’s for sure. Having owned and set up many Jacksons over many years, I’ve never seen “metal shavings come off the tremolo after turning the studs” (or at any other time). I’ve had (and still have) many OFRs and JT580s to compare. I currently have a Jackson SL4 (MIJ, JT580), Jackson Dinky Reverse Professional (MIJ, JT580), and a Jackson SL2H (USA, OFR), along with a Charvel Model 5A (MIJ, JT6) Jem 7VWH, RG520QS, and a Warmoth (OFR). All these trems have worked well and give me no problems currently.

“Until you come in with facts and actually prove me wrong instead of saying no, Im going to stick to this rant, because this is what Ive experienced HANDS on.”

I have been stating facts, based in part on what I've experienced "hands on," but feel free to “stick to this rant.” You’re entitled to an opinion too, even if it is wrong.

“And jackson does attempt to sell many guitars touting them as high end with their crappy licensed tremolo installed.”

Frankly, I’ve never seen Jackson "tout" either line as “high end,” but the fact is, Jackson's USA line represents its high end guitars, and where equipped with locking trems, they have OFRs, not licensed Floyds. The MIJ models may be really nice, and feature JT580s, but they do not represent Jackson’s “high end.”

. . . and attempting, once again, to get back to the point of this thread, I would agree with the posts about the need for maple fretboards, DiMarzio pickups, and a Custom Shop that is accessible to mere mortals. All good ideas!
quik is offline  
post #42 of 323 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 07:16 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Richmond, Kentucky
Posts: 3,339
Talking Re: What I Hate About Ibanez

Quote:
Originally Posted by quik
Sheesh! Guess I touched a nerve! (I didn't realize locking trems could be such an emotional subject). Let's dissect your "rant" one more time.

“The trem is the same quality range and initial design as the trs tremolo, both of which are crap, and are initial copys of the same licensed design, not the original floyd rose.”

I suspect they are in the same quality range, and their initial designs are bound to be similar, both being licensed copies of the OFR. The previous claim that the Jackson licensed trem is a “copy” of the TRS was false, so I said so. I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings, just trying to keep the info accurate.

“How many jacksons have you setup? Have you ever seen metal shavings come off the tremolo due to the crappy metal after you turn the studs?”

More than I can recall, that’s for sure. Having owned and set up many Jacksons over many years, I’ve never seen “metal shavings come off the tremolo after turning the studs” (or at any other time). I’ve had (and still have) many OFRs and JT580s to compare. I currently have a Jackson SL4 (MIJ, JT580), Jackson Dinky Reverse Professional (MIJ, JT580), and a Jackson SL2H (USA, OFR), along with a Charvel Model 5A (MIJ, JT6) Jem 7VWH, RG520QS, and a Warmoth (OFR). All these trems have worked well and give me no problems currently.

“Until you come in with facts and actually prove me wrong instead of saying no, Im going to stick to this rant, because this is what Ive experienced HANDS on.”

I have been stating facts, based in part on what I've experienced "hands on," but feel free to “stick to this rant.” You’re entitled to an opinion too, even if it is wrong.

“And jackson does attempt to sell many guitars touting them as high end with their crappy licensed tremolo installed.”

Frankly, I’ve never seen Jackson "tout" either line as “high end,” but the fact is, Jackson's USA line represents its high end guitars, and where equipped with locking trems, they have OFRs, not licensed Floyds. The MIJ models may be really nice, and feature JT580s, but they do not represent Jackson’s “high end.”

. . . and attempting, once again, to get back to the point of this thread, I would agree with the posts about the need for maple fretboards, DiMarzio pickups, and a Custom Shop that is accessible to mere mortals. All good ideas!
You outline good points but let me correct several "mistakes".

"I suspect they are in the same quality range, and their initial designs are bound to be similar, both being licensed copies of the OFR. The previous claim that the Jackson licensed trem is a “copy” of the TRS was false, so I said so. I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings, just trying to keep the info accurate."

These are licensed copys of the floyd rose pro, actually, as well as being subject to laws concerning the original floyd, they are actually more similar in design to floyd's low profile version, which ibanez are currently paying out the wazoo for, having violated this patent law after the original floyds patent had ran out.

"Frankly, I’ve never seen Jackson "tout" either line as “high end,” but the fact is, Jackson's USA line represents its high end guitars, and where equipped with locking trems, they have OFRs, not licensed Floyds. The MIJ models may be really nice, and feature JT580s, but they do not represent Jackson’s “high end.”


Jackson does not currently make a model with their highest quality tremolo system included, geared towards the midrange, or budget market. Ibanez has multiple models with this type of setup, and I can site them as such. Next the trs, and jt580 are inferior designs and should in my "opinion" be changed. For me at least the ability for a tremolo to stay in tune as good as possible are alot of the reasons I stick with a particular instrument.



Having said all this, I cant honestly say that you dont know what your talking about you obviously do and have a great collection. Im just going over my opinions they are not fact, and of course its a rant. Thats what I do best, so kudos to you. Ive also got some cookies if you would like, fresh out of the oven, want one?
sniperfrommars1 is offline  
post #43 of 323 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 07:34 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Adams, MA
Posts: 2,641
Re: What I Hate About Ibanez

Quote:
Originally Posted by jra2217
the js,jem,gilbert and j-customs have dimarzios. I know the j-customs did i don't know if they still do .

i really wish they'd do like esp/ltd and come out with some good pickups in guitars that where a little lower priced.
I know that. My Jem came with Evolutions which is part of the reason I like the guitar so much. Some of the RGs, like the 1570 and 2570 are too good for their stock pups :P

Plus with some better pickups, they would be able to sell more of them. A fairly low priced high quality guitar that sounds great right out of the case... think of that!!!
red5 is offline  
post #44 of 323 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 07:37 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Adams, MA
Posts: 2,641
Re: What I Hate About Ibanez

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1
The trem is the same quality range and initial design as the trs tremolo, both of which are crap, and are initial copys of the same licensed design, not the original floyd rose. How many jacksons have you setup? Have you ever seen metal shavings come off the tremolo due to the crappy metal after you turn the studs? Until you come in with facts and actually prove me wrong instead of saying no, Im going to stick to this rant, because this is what Ive experienced HANDS on. And jackson does attempt to sell many guitars touting them as high end with their crappy licensed tremolo installed.
I would say the Floyds Jackson is using on their high end guitars is on the same level as a TRS, maybe a little bit of an upgrade. but on the flip side, all the new Floyds they are using these days are made of crap metal as opposed to 10+ years ago.
red5 is offline  
post #45 of 323 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 11:09 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Rhinelander, WI - USA
Posts: 494
Re: What I Hate About Ibanez

Thanks sniper, you're making some good points, as well (e.g., you are correct that the OFR PRO appears to be the model for these licensed trems, not the OFR, as I had indicated.)
quik is offline  
Reply

Tags
aanj neck , basswood bodies , body shape , charvel model , custom guitar , custom shop , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , duncan designed , edge trem , fixed bridge , floyd rose , floyd rose pro , floyd rose trem , fret aanj , fret aanj neck , fret neck , ibanez edge trem , ibanez guitars , inf pickups , jackson dinky , locking trems , maple fret , maple fretboard , maple neck , maple neck rgs , maple necks , mij guitars , neck pickup , paf pro , paf pro neck , pro edge , pro neck , reverse headstock , rosewood fretboard , rosewood fretboards , seymour duncan , tone zone , tone zone bridge , trem arm , tremolo system , trs bridge , trs trems , yamaha rgx , zone bridge

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in














Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why do Jackson fans hate Ibanez? ELicari All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 80 11-09-2013 12:34 PM
Why Ibanez players hate EMG's? DistAndMoreDist All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 129 08-17-2013 02:15 AM
I'm starting to really hate Ibanez Helldogg All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 15 06-12-2013 08:02 AM
Why does Jackson players hate Ibanez so much? ELicari All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 34 10-08-2009 08:47 PM
FS: Ibanez RG421 RB - Hate to do it, I love this thing! the.godfather Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 2 04-20-2005 05:35 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome