what ibanez guitar has a neck more similar to gibson SG or les pau or even stratl? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

what ibanez prestige/jem has neck similar to gibson SG or les paul or even strat?

Hello - I'm new to the forum, even though I've been watching it for a while.

I head the Joe Satriani model has a neck similar to a strat neck. Is that true? I'd like to be able to thumb over so an ironing board type of neck would't work well.

Last edited by t-plane; 08-15-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 12:12 PM

Re: what ibanez guitar has a neck more similar to gibson SG or les pau or even stratl

The Satriani model does have a more radiused neck than the usual flat Ibanez neck. The S-models use to be a little less flat than the RG's but they aren't now. None of them are going to have a 9.5" radius like a modern strat. What pickup setup are you looking for?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Re: what ibanez guitar has a neck more similar to gibson SG or les pau or even stratl

No particular pickup configuration. I really just care about the neck being close to my sg/ strat
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 12:26 PM

Here is a link to a listing of Ibanez neck types:

http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_neck_types

The JS models look to be the same as the American Standard Strat, 9.5" (240mm). The SZ320 I've been using a lot lately is a little flatter at 305mm but still ok for thumb over.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 12:12 PM

I like "strat necks" a lot and feel very comfortable on an Ultra Wizard neck from around 2003, although the dimensions are not very similar to a strat neck. But it still gives me a more strat-like feel, I don't know why.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 03:02 PM

I think you guys are confusing fretboard radius with neck shape. I have found the Iceman to have a similar LP shape, big and round.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 10:54 PM

I feel like my Destroyer reissue feels more like a Gibson. I know the Fireman has a bigol' neck too
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 11:03 PM

what about AT-100 ?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 12:15 AM

Based on stats and Paul Gilbert's interview, the new Fireman is similar to some old, fat Gibsons and 26 mm. at 12th fret. Also the older Artcores (my 2006) are more than an inch thick on the 12th fret (26.5 mm) and like some old Gibsons that way, but later Artcores are somewhat less fat.

I don't know of any RG or S that has a fat neck.

The fat neck, with all things equal, has a little more sustain but pickups can determine that far more. Some may find a vintage type Gibson neck may slow them down some if extreme shred is the goal.

My 26.5 mm 12th fret on my old Artcore is radically different in its feel than a 21 mm 12th fret. Less than 22 mm at the 12th fret simply feels really fast but that may not be everyone's goal.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 08-18-2014 at 09:08 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 07:40 AM

The JS and AT models do have Fender derived necks.

The old Roadstars from the 80s also have Fendery type C-shaped necks - in the later years the favoured a flatter fingerboard radius (14" or so), which, I think makes for a nice combination. I measured my two Roadstars once and they're both around 41mm/21mm at the nut, 51mm/22-23mm at the 12th fret, iirc. The '85 feels a bit chunkier though.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 10:34 PM

Ibanez Destroyer feels a lot like a Gibson. But Gibsons have a lot of different necks too, so it will all be subjective.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezzerScrooge View Post
Ibanez Destroyer feels a lot like a Gibson. But Gibsons have a lot of different necks too, so it will all be subjective.
The three main Gibson necks are the very fat '58 or before on many older Gibson models, with old neck to body angle, then the slightly thinner '59 with modern neck angle and most popular reissue neck, and much thinner slim taper '60 neck.

Many other Gibson necks fall between the '59 and '60 as do the older Ibanez Artcore necks. Also many of the so-called '59 reissues are with the modern '59 neck to body angle but are as fat as the '58 necks as to get a chunky '59 neck but bowing to pressure to make it extra fat in a way no '59s ever were.

Some say sustain is improved with massive body to neck joint where others feel it doesn't add much and hinders upper fret access. The Fireman supposed to have both mass yet good access due to proprietary Ibanez design not borrowing from Gibson in any way.

Finally the neck volute on many mid-period Gibson electrics add more wood mass allowing for slightly more sustain. The Ibanez Artcores share that volute which also adds strength at the vulnerable headstock which has a headstock end channel for truss rod.

Tags
gibson sg , ibanez , les paul , satriani

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode