What Ibanez guitar should I buy? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

What Ibanez guitar should I buy?

Hi all,

To cut a long story short I'm looking to buy an Ibanez electric guitar but having looked at the catalogue and searched online for 'the right' guitar, I'm struggling to understand what model would best suit my needs. I was ignorant before I started looking and now I'm totally confused as to what to buy.

To fill you in on the longer story, I went into town at the weekend to buy an mp3 player and, like I do when I'm in town, I went into the music shop to see me mate Terry. I never made it to the mp3 player shop but I ended up buying another guitar amp (that I didn't 'need') and came away with hunger pangs for an Ibanez, having had my stumpy paws on one he had hanging up.
Although I thought it was fairly drool-worthy I'm not entirely sure this is the right axe for me yet; it was labelled as an SA4170AB RBK but having looked online I think it must be an S4170AB RVK as shown here http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/S4170AB.

I'm not made of money and I'm not into unnecessary embellishments but it's ultimately about getting the right guitar for me than the cost involved in doing so. I'm not going to go into stupid money though as I have other guitars and don't technically 'need' another (my wife is extraordinarily tolerant of me but it has limits,) so as a pointer anywhere between 1000 and 2000 isn't going to get me the rolling pin (but I'd consider more if the 'perfect' Ibanez for me exists.)

The bottom line is that I play (or try my best to) jazz, blues and rock and I want to make sure that I buy the right Ibanez to give me the versatility I need to play the those styles and a fusion of all three if I get really carried away. Although I do like a bit of metal, I don't want to end up buying a 'metal' guitar if there is such a thing.

If I'm barking up the wrong tree altogether then please feel free to give me some pointers in the right direction.

Thanks for reading folks.

Last edited by Stonefree; 12-09-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 03:20 PM

Re: What Ibanez guitar should I buy?

That guitar will more than suit your requirements, although I personally would try and go for an S5470 instead, because the 5470's are made in japan and have original wizard profile necks. QC is thus higher, and the neck is much perferable to the wizard II on the korean S series, which has quite big 'shoulders'.

Regardless, both are fantastic guitars and should suit you well.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for that mate, I didn't know that; better QC on the Jap versions certainly appeals to me.

I'm suprised nobody else here has any pointers or suggestions to add e.g. point me in the direction of this fella at http://www.ibanezrules.com - I know he's not based in my country but he ships internationally and looks like the ultimate Ibanez dealer!

That AR5000 he has looks like a beauty; I know it's a different beast (and it aint cheap either) but would this not do what I want?

What about the finer differences between the S5470 and the SV5470? I can determine that the bridge/trem configuration is different and the pups are different on these but I struggle with understanding how this will effect the sound/playability of those guitars. Does one have inferior hardware to the other? What make/model are the pickups in them?

I really am a nub with these guitars so any pointers, suggestions or help would be very much appreciated. I'll continue with my search.

Thanks again.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 12:55 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

The AR5000 is a beauty. My (not as ornate) AR2000 (made in japan similar to this one)
http://www.ibanezrules.com/images/gallery/ar2000_2.jpg
is a magnificent instrument that can almost play itself! Totally different than an S or SV with tremolos... lgen
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 01:05 PM
Vendor

I've said it several times. The 5000's are the finest guitars Fujigen has built in a long long time.

The S is a true shredder with a double locking system. Whammy like crazy and it'll still be in tune. The SV is more like a vintage system, non locking, whammy even once hard and you'll be retuning.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 01:07 PM
site founder 0% owner

what is the cost of that one Rich? any used ones floating around? ...glen
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 01:09 PM
Vendor

I left the autoresponder on that one I believe. I can't say as it's below MAP of course
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 01:16 PM
site founder 0% owner

had to google the link...

http://www.ibanezrules.com/new/ar5000.htm

checking now (in case that money tree in the backyard starts to grow) ...glen

ps - get rid of that phillies crap off the frontpage
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 01:20 PM
Vendor

Should be easier to find if you just went to my new page

I took the Phils down weeks ago, unless I forgot and left it on the alt page? [ooops, I did]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode