What keeps Ibanez from launching a Custom or Semi-Custom Shop? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

What keeps Ibanez from launching a Custom or Semi-Custom Shop?

I can understand that a full-fledged Custom Shop may be financially unprofitable. But why no Semi-Custom shop?

E.g., I want a J Custom without that awful vine inlay. They can only do this if I order no less than 6 identical guitars. Stupid.

Perhaps anybody can provide some insider information?

UPDATE:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f22/pe...=1#post1149292

Last edited by mrpanoff; 01-18-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 12:03 PM
rgx

Re: What keeps Ibanez from launching a Custom or Semi-Custom Shop?

Get yourself a Suhr Modern and the problem solved
post #3 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 12:07 PM

It's not "insider information" but I imagine it would be the same reason. (referring to the semi-custom shop). I know all of us on here (in our minds eye) would gladly give them business and all that, but our beloved community of Ibanez junkies is relatively small in relation to the entire guitar playing community as a whole. And if you look at even a lot of the guys who only play Ibanez, I'm sure you'll find a vast majority of those are just fine with production models.
Of course Ibanez has the LACS but I'm pretty sure you have to be an endorsee to gain access to that.
post #4 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

The reason may be the same indeed, but they haven't even given it a try. And they clearly underestimate the power of Ibanez junkies.

I'd say it has more to do with the current management's attitude.
post #5 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanoff View Post
The reason may be the same indeed, but they haven't even given it a try. And they clearly underestimate the power of Ibanez junkies.

I'd say it has more to do with the current management's attitude.
I'd suggest that there are guys with MBAs and degrees in economics and business who look at this sort of strategyon behalf of Ibanez and who have decided that it wouldn't work. Trying and failing in business costs money and reputation. Neither are things an established company wants to throw away.

For every guy on the internet who says he'd place an order and actually PLACE that order there are probably 10 who'd say they'd place an order and then sit at their PC posting about how the custom shop charges too much.
jono is online  
post #6 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 01:10 PM
rgx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I'd suggest that there are guys with MBAs and degrees in economics and business who look at this sort of strategyon behalf of Ibanez and who have decided that it wouldn't work. Trying and failing in business costs money and reputation. Neither are things an established company wants to throw away.

For every guy on the internet who says he'd place an order and actually PLACE that order there are probably 10 who'd say they'd place an order and then sit at their PC posting about how the custom shop charges too much.
Well, if ESP, Jackson, Fender, you name it, can run a profitable custom shop, then what's stopping Ibanez from doing the same? Especially considering that they already have LACS?
post #7 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 01:31 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgx View Post
Well, if ESP, Jackson, Fender, you name it, can run a profitable custom shop, then what's stopping Ibanez from doing the same? Especially considering that they already have LACS?
I agree! But, look at those companies you mentioned. Two of them are the same place now--Fender and Jackson. Plus, imagine the sales those companies get in relation to Ibanez. Sure Ibanez has a great customer base, but is it as big as those others? I don't see why Ibanez couldn't have a little in-house shop that did custom orders like the others. Is it worth their time, money and effort to do it, though? Like Jono said--there are people with sliderules and degrees that have probably already pondered that. Plus, the analogy that he mentioned of number of people that would actually order one vs. Sitting at the PC dreaming and posting about ordering is spot-on. That's evident right here on Jemsite. How many posts do you see about, "Man, I'm really after a XXXX," one shows up in our classifieds, sits there for a few months, then off to the Bay......where it sits again.

post #8 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Totally.

And Semi-Custom shop wouldn't need that much of an investment.

Like, base it off of existing J Custom, add body type choice (RG, RGA, RGD, S), body and fingerboard wood choice, 6 or 7 string, bolt-on or neck-through, bound/unbound fingerboard, inlays/blank fingerboard, pickups choice and a fixed set of standard colours, that's it.

The funny thing is it's already available to distributors, with a minimum batch of six identical instruments. But who the heck wants a custom guitar built to distributor's specs.

Last edited by mrpanoff; 10-02-2011 at 01:46 PM.
post #9 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 01:44 PM
rgx

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
I agree! But, look at those companies you mentioned. Two of them are the same place now--Fender and Jackson. Plus, imagine the sales those companies get in relation to Ibanez. Sure Ibanez has a great customer base, but is it as big as those others? I don't see why Ibanez couldn't have a little in-house shop that did custom orders like the others. Is it worth their time, money and effort to do it, though? Like Jono said--there are people with sliderules and degrees that have probably already pondered that. Plus, the analogy that he mentioned of number of people that would actually order one vs. Sitting at the PC dreaming and posting about ordering is spot-on. That's evident right here on Jemsite. How many posts do you see about, "Man, I'm really after a XXXX," one shows up in our classifieds, sits there for a few months, then off to the Bay......where it sits again.
AFAIK, Fender custom shop and Jackson custom shop are separate entities, just under same management. I mean, those custom Jacksons and Charvels are built by the same guys and at the same place as it was before FMIC bought them. And just to illustrate the issue, some time ago I've tried out a RG4570Z - it's a nice guitar, but it costs $2599.99 + 13% tax, for the same money I could buy a CS Charvel or Jackson or ESP. Or a Suhr, which I've bought in the end.
post #10 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 01:49 PM
rgx

Quote:
The funny thing is it's already available to distributors, with a minimum batch of six identical instruments. But who the heck wants a custom guitar built to distributor's specs.
So you could find another 5 guys who would like an Ibby with the same specs and just order them through A&T Trade.
post #11 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Ibanez J-custom pricing is a result of the world economy and the strength of the Yen rather than anything else.

In 2007 the yen was worth half what it is today which made the J-customs a veritable bargain.

As I said, if the boffins at Ibanez thought a custom shop was a viable business model for them, they'd open one... If someone has the appropriate qualifications and/or experience, why don't they draw up a business plan and see about arranging a meeting with some of the folks from Hoshino USA and see if they'll pitch it to the Japanese head office?
jono is online  
post #12 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
So you could find another 5 guys who would like an Ibby with the same specs and just order them through A&T Trade.
I was considering this at one point, but surely not via A&T Trade (they asked a ridiculous price).
post #13 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Ibanez J-custom pricing is a result of the world economy and the strength of the Yen rather than anything else.

In 2007 the yen was worth half what it is today which made the J-customs a veritable bargain.

As I said, if the boffins at Ibanez thought a custom shop was a viable business model for them, they'd open one... If someone has the appropriate qualifications and/or experience, why don't they draw up a business plan and see about arranging a meeting with some of the folks from Hoshino USA and see if they'll pitch it to the Japanese head office?
Perhaps we'd start it off with signing a petition or something? Like, making a sticky thread here, on sevenstring.org, ibanezforum etc?
post #14 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 04:54 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Perhaps we'd start it off with signing a petition or something? Like, making a sticky thread here, on sevenstring.org, ibanezforum etc?
Yeah....I'm sure that would make them bend.....

post #15 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 05:30 PM

Maybe we should start photoshopping "I want access to the Ibanez custom shop" onto the banners at the wall street and Egypt protests.

Tags
custom shop j custom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode