What kind of Ibanez is this?? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

What kind of Ibanez is this??

I recently acquired this Ibanez guitar, and although the headstock states that it is a Proline series, I'm starting to think that its not. I have taken it to just about everyone in my area, and no body has seen an Ibanez like it, and there doesn’t appear to be another Proline that looks like this one on the net. The serial is E852625.
So if anyone has any info on this guitar, e.g. what it is, what it may be worth it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 02:42 AM

Well I had a Power 440 model before that had a headstock with "Roadstar Series" on it, but from my knowledge the Power models were always seperate from the Roadstar. Anyway the best guess I can give you is it's a 1985 Roadstar Series, but don't quote me. Actually another way to help figure this one out is just to pop the neck off, and see what is stamped on the back of the neck, and inside the neck pocket. Post back with what you find?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 03:24 AM

The body looks like a Roadstar RS... as found on the gallery of Ibanezregister.com. You can probably send Jerrye and email and ask him. He also posts here, by the way, so may just identify it for you.

Probably that guitar has some customizations on it, like new(er) pickups, and a different neck.

Nice!
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 01:59 PM
ed

Looks like an RS-body with a swapped neck.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 02:06 PM

dunno what it is really, bit of an odball one that, bloody nice though!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 02:20 PM

Weird.

Pro Line was definitely a series offered around 1984/1985, but i don't recall ever seeing one like that.

Pro Lines were mostly smaller Roadstar/superstrat body styles, though there was also a Pro Line V that was like a Rhoads model. Some were bolt-on, others were neck-thru, usually with simple dot or shark's tooth inlays. The body on that one looks like an earlier Roadstar series, as it has chubbier horns... Ibanez gradually thinned the Roadstar series horns down over the years, until we ended up with the RG.

I've never seen a Pro Line with the split block inlays like that. But who knows what may have been available outside of the North American market in those days? Maybe it's an oddball Japan-only model.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 02:39 PM

It could also be an Ibanez employee custom order.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

I have been either thinking its just someone’s custom, or a Japan only model, Japan only could be right as up until a couple of months ago it belonged to a collector in Japan.
I have been in contact with Jerry from Ibanezregister.com and one of the first things he said was to remove the neck, I'm still not sure whether or not ill do this, but I will keep you all posted.
I'm also going to be thinking about re-selling, but as I live in New Zealand, its not going to be easy, any suggestions?
Thanks again.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 05:55 PM

I doubt that the neck has been replaced- it's got the straight headstock that the late roadstars had. Some other models (R, JS) had the same straight headstock, but the ProLine designation gives it away as a late Roadstar. Then there's the 1988 serial number...that's a nice clue too

It has the same PowerRocker trem/nut setup as my Roadstar RS1300NT, which is from the same timeframe (1987). Also has the same control layout. Volume/Tone/Tone, 3-way, etc. Some of the Roadstars (like the RS1300) had push/push coil taps on the tone pots- does this guitar have that feature?

It's definitely a Roadstar body, and I'd say that the neck is original as well-it's simply not an inlay that was offered in the US Market (at least, not in the 87-88 Catalog I've got).
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Doesn’t E85 mean 1985?
Yes it does have the push button on the tone pots.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 06:09 PM

I thought the PowerRock'r trem was dropped in favour of the Edge around 1986 or 1987, with the Pro Line series starting a year or two before that.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 06:10 PM

From what I've seen, the Eighties Roadstar numbers are a lot like the Eighties Fender serial numbers: "E" means Eighty and the first number is the second half of the year. I've had (5) 80's Roadstars and all have followed this pattern, which has been confirmed by the neck pocket stamps. You could pop the neck off and see what it's stamped to verify though
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
I thought the PowerRock'r trem was dropped in favour of the Edge around 1986 or 1987, with the Pro Line series starting a year or two before that.
Very likely, but...a lot of leftover parts could equal a lot of guitars made with those parts. My RS1300 is stamped '87 in the pocket, yet that model was only available in '85. I think they were almost as bad as Fender in some respects! I've had some odds n' ends Roadstars and they've all had screwy serial number/neck pocket stamps that didn't always make sense so...it's anybodys guess.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 06:26 PM

Oh, by the way... it's actually the ProRock'r trem, not the PowerRock'r, which was non-locking. I always get those two mixed up.

Another place you could inquire would be at the Ibanez Vintage Page. JD definitely knows his stuff.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 06:51 PM
Vendor

Jeez

E - May
85'

Tags
allen wrench , allen wrenches , block inlays , coil tap , darren wilson , roadstar series , strat body

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode