What kind of RG is this? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

What kind of RG is this?

At first, hi to all (i am new here)

I hope you Ibanez experts can help me ^_^

I've got a little problem. I want to buy a new guitar (well, second handed) from a guy on the internet and I know it is a RG, but i don't know what kind of RG it is (and the guy doesn't know it either). So without knowing what kind of RG it is, I don't know what a reasonable price is.
I hope you can help me finding out what kind of RG this is.

- It's serial number is: F 349227
- http://www.martkplaats.nl/foto.php3?...m%3Foudei%3D30 That's the link where the picture is on, I've got better images, but i don't know how to post them... (yes i am a noob...)

- It has one volume and one tone knob. 2 hubmbuckers, 1 single coil.
- Licenced under Floyd Rose Patents is what the tremolo says.
- It has a bolt-on construction

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 06:45 AM

Looks like a 1993(going by the SN#) RG770DX in Black..

Very nice..
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro
Looks like a 1993(going by the SN#) RG770DX in Black..
I concur... Never seen one in black before - Usually you only see them in blue, red and violet... cool...
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

ok thanks for your reply's so far.
I just did some research on the RG770, and they haven't got RG printed on the headstock. The headstock of this guitar does say RG series...
Maybe it's an rg450? But if the serial says it's an Rg770...
mmm well, thanks so far.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 11:14 AM

The serial number doesn't tell you what model it is, but does give you a clue as to the model year.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 11:50 AM

In Europe, the 770DX was only available in Laser Blue, Cand Apple Red and Violet Metallic.
The RG670DX (it's replacement in the 1994 catalog) however was indeed available in Black, and it does have the RG on the headstock... however, they first appear in the 1994 catalog so it must have been a very early one for the serial number to fit.

The other main difference (apart from availability of colour and RG on the headstock) is the RG670DX has the AANJ and the RG770DX has the old style heel joint which is unclear on the picture but looks to be an AANJ so my money is a RG670DXBK.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 12:33 AM

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

Europe gets all the sweet guitars.

:P
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 03:24 AM

ethere - can you email me some more pictures?

[email protected]

(btw, I can't speak dutch because I moved here from the states...)
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again all of you.
Especially Spagbol, your reaction was really usefull. You also mentioned that it might be a RG670.
But when I checked the Ibanez catalogue of 1994, i didn't discover any RG670dx...
http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/us/1994/index.htm That's the link where I saw the Ibanez 1994 catalogue, didn't I look correctly, or is the RG670 in another catalogue?

And toshiro, mmm we don't get all the nice guitars , and they are pretty expensive here too...
the grass at your neighboors' is always greener (didn't know how to translate that correctly, but it is some kind of proverb (?) here). I think you get it.

And longhair, the pictures are on their way.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

mmmm there's also an Rg770 on the internet now for 300 euro's...
But that one is in aubergine, and the Rg670 is in black...
Wich one would be better and are they worth about 300 / 350 ?
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 06:09 PM

No probs ethere.

Picture on page 10, specs on page 13 of the European 1994 catalog.
The US catalog has the USRG series on page 10, but the European catalog has the RG670DX and 550LTD.

I have scanned the relevant pages for you and they are available to look at here:

Page 10
Page 13
Just the specs

Hope this helps
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethere
Thanks again all of you.
Especially Spagbol, your reaction was really usefull. You also mentioned that it might be a RG670.
But when I checked the Ibanez catalogue of 1994, i didn't discover any RG670dx...
http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/us/1994/index.htm That's the link where I saw the Ibanez 1994 catalogue, didn't I look correctly, or is the RG670 in another catalogue?

And toshiro, mmm we don't get all the nice guitars , and they are pretty expensive here too...
the grass at your neighboors' is always greener (didn't know how to translate that correctly, but it is some kind of proverb (?) here). I think you get it.

And longhair, the pictures are on their way.
Ah, but I'm addicted to the Sharktooth inlay, and from 1995 to 2003 there were no Japanese RGs in the US with them. Europe had a few different models through those years that I would've killed for.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

ok. lets conclude the guitar in topic is a RG670DX.
There aren't much reviews of this guitar on the internet, do you think it would be a good investment than? (I read the reviews of the 770dx, wich are pretty good, this one is comparable isn't it?).
And what would you pay for this guitar (incl. hardshell case?)
Thanks
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 06:13 PM

Hold the presses...

I was looking at the pictures that you sent me and I accidently hit my scroll button on the mouse and made the image a lot bigger

There is a black pickguard on it, and this concludes it is an RG550.

It also has a lot of wear on the neck after taking a closer look at it.

Personally, I wouldn't pay more than 250 Euro for it.

If you are looking for a nice used guitar, check out ebay.com because the Euro is stronger than the USD right now. You can find some better guitars than that one for about the same price and shipping is around $100 USD for a guitar with case (I am expecting mine to show up in a couple of days now).

I had my e-mail crap out on me and I have a new address, so I will send you the magnified pictures of the ones you sent me.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 07:09 PM

Have to disagree with you Longhair... the only 550 with sharktooth inlays (that I'm aware of for that period) is the 550LTD which although available in black has a mirror pickguard (not black), and has a rosewood fretboard (not maple as shown in the picture) and has pearloid inlays (not matching colour).

I only have the original photo posted by ethere but if you can zoom in on another picture, checkout the pickups - RG550LTD has V7 and V8, the RG670DX has Quantum pickups so that should also point to the correct guitar.
Can you post the magnified pictures?

Tags
black pickguard , direct mounted pickups , floyd rose , ibanez catalog , maple neck , mounted pickups , neck joint , rosewood fretboard , sharktooth inlay , sharktooth inlays

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode