What model Hamer is this? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

What model Hamer is this?

I have this, been told, mid-90s Hamer, with no other markings besides the Hamer, and the serial-Made in Korea on the back screen printed. It has Duncan Designed pickups and gold knobs. It's a deep purple flame top with a binding.

Great, hefty, guitar and the action is fantastic. Sounds pretty decent, too for the $100 I paid for it (I am the 2nd owner).

I think it is a Sunburst A/T, but please correct me.

I can't upload pictures because it says it's not a valid image... it's a jpg... under 1MB, what gives?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 12:27 PM

Re: What model Hamer is this?

there is a restriction on image posting until you post 5 times (if i remember right)
I also think you have to post a link to the the pic .... I don't think they upload and store any photos here. I see lots of photobucket links
just my observations I have honestly not studied the forum rules

so do what i did..... post 4 more posts.... oh yeah at least 30 seconds between
then post a link I uploaded mine to google drive
I am curious to see this rockin 100 dollar guitar
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

It's 10 times now… jeesh!
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I uploaded them to Photobucket…Link coming soon..
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

http://s38.photobucket.com/user/Sens.../library/Hamer

Pictures!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 05:27 AM

Should be Hamer Special ( doublecut), USA version could have hard tail or Schaller Floyd Rose, and hard tail could be all mahogany without maple cup. Pickups were SD. I think I have magazin review somewhere, I can posti it if you want. So it is probably cheaper version of those.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks peromucho. I think you're right, and I'd love to see a review, if you have time to dig it up.

But how can you tell the difference between a Special and a Sunburst? See the links below I found, of course, mine is that deep purple flame top and Made in Korea.

https://reverb.com/item/68449-hamer-...urst-flame-top

https://reverb.com/item/2694277-upgr...odHagAlw&pla=1

US Special:
https://reverb.com/item/44827-usa-ha...-s-crimson-red

Thanks!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 02:03 PM

I have to dig deep. October 1992.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Wow, that is pretty old! Thanks so much for posting it. I would have to agree I think it's a Special Korean made.

Thanks
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 02:54 PM

Your guitar looks more like sunburst archtop then special.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 06:16 PM

regardless great buy for 100 bucks nice looking ax
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! Just came across this Vintage Guitar mag article, too. https://www.vintageguitar.com/1877/t...mer-part-four/

Import Series
As mentioned, ca. ’97 Hamer began to shift its Korean imports from the Slammer Series into the Import Series, switching Slammer production to Indonesia. The Import Series, sometimes called the Hamer Guitar, was intended to be the company’s mid-line offering. Since Korean manufacturers have dramatically improved their quality in recent years, these are high-quality guitars, designed in the U.S. and made overseas. Hamer’s Korean Imports carry the Hamer logo (no “USA,” see the sidebar on logos).

In ’98 the Import Series included the Sunburst Arch Top Flame Top (SATF), Standard (STD), Rick Nielsen Signature (RNS), Echotone (ECO), Stellar 1 (ST1), Californian (CAL), Diablo (DAB), and Cruise 4 (CRS) and Cruise 5 (CRV) basses. The Sunburst Arch Top Flame Top, Californian, Diablo, and Cruise basses were continuations of previous Slammer models. As alluded to earlier, in terms of design the Import Series was very similar to their previous American counterparts, although materials were sometimes different. Pickups on the Import Series were Duncan Designed.

The Import Sunburst Arch Top Flame Top was basically the equivalent of the Hamer USA Studio, which descended from the Sunburst Archtop Standard. Carved flame maple top over mahogany, rosewood dotneck with three-and-three head. Color options were Cherry Sunburst, Purpleburst and Blueburst.

The Import Standard basically replaced the old USA Standard. This looked like the old model, complete with pickguard, but was now made of solid maple with a glued-in neck and scimitar headstock.

The Import Echotone and Stellar 1 did not have USA equivalents. The Echotone was basically a version of the semi-hollowbody Gibson ES-335. With a glued-in neck, the Echotone had bound solid maple top and back with bound f-holes. The 22-fret fingerboard was bound rosewood with dots. Twin humbuckers, three-way, two volumes and two tones, finetune bridge, stop tailpiece and elevated black laminated pickguard completed the picture.

The Import Stellar 1 was clearly a nod to the success of Paul Reed Smith guitars, with slightly offset double-cutaways, the upper horn extended a bit. This featured a maple body with a set maple neck. The top was carved, highly figured “silky maple.” The unbound two-octave fingerboard had pearl dot inlays. A three-way, volume, tone, finetune bridge and stop tailpiece rounded out the Stellar 1.

The Import Californian was our old 27-fret friend, again pretty much the same except for having a solid maple neck and body.

The Import Diablo, too, was similar to its forebear, with maple body and neck.

The Import Cruise basses were replicas of the latter model, with the Fender-style profile and the little batwing pickguard. Body and neck were maple.

The Hamer Import Series remains available to this day.

Tags
guitar , hamer , identification , identify , purple

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode