What model Ibanez bass is this? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

What model Ibanez bass is this?

Can someone tell me some info about this bass?
I'd like to know the model, specs, years and approximate value if I were to buy it used these days.
I'm a guitarist, but need a bass and have recently been offered this for, but don't know what it is.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 07:30 PM

Looks like a Soundgear...by the heavier bridge maybe an SR800? There are MANY models over the past several years that look a lot like this...SR800, 400, 300. Some Japanese, some Korean, etc...prices vary.

You might poke around here for some more info:
http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass/Data4/Ibanez/

Greg
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 08:15 PM

I believe this is one of the earlier Japanese Soundgear basses. I don't think any of the Korean models had the fully contoured Radius-style body with the tilted jack. These were the higher-end models. Lower-end Soundgear basses had simpler bodies that had flatter tops and backs and just heavily rounded edges and more traditional arm and tummy cuts.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

The guy told me that he believes it to be a Soundgear SGR870 but I can't find any info about that model.
The case says "Ibanez Prestige Deluxe" on it if that means anything.
It's got active electronics... if that helps at all.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 07:37 AM

Owner of two Soundgears coming through, step aside please!

Judging by the placement of the input jack (body mounted, not side), the "Accu-Cast IV" bridge (which, IMHO, is one of the best bass bridges ever designed. The entire saddle assembly is mounted onto one plate that is radius-matched to the figerboard curvature - any height changes are made by two screws that raise/lower the plate), and the color, I would say that it's an early 90's SR-1000. "Bass Player" reviewed one "exactly" like that in '92, but as my collection is currently in storage at my parents home I can't be any more specific.

From the one photo available it looks to be in good condition, and bridge, body wood (ash as opposed to basswood on the 800's), and better build quality of that time period (IMHO, of course) add a good amount of value to the bass, but the electronics aren't as nice as more recent models. It's also very much a "buyers market" for SR's, as their rep in the bass world isn't the best. Personally, I would top out at $350-$400.

Hope this helps,
Ian
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 07:42 AM

I just bought one for $275; didn't arrive yet. Hope it's as nice as the pics say it is. I wanted the SR800, but this came up & I thought I'd give it a shot. Were all the SR1000s ash?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 01:02 PM

All of the SR-1000's were ash-bodied. Ibanez dropped the model around '94 (?), leaving most of their basses made of basswood or maple (besides the occasional exotic wood bass like the Wenge/Bubinga 1300 series made in the mid-90's - the infamous original "Fieldy bass" ). It wasn't until a year or two ago that they reintroduced ash with the SR-810, which is basically a modern SR-1000. A great move on their part, as basswood simply doesn't have enough density to resonate bass frequences properly. Ash is a wonderful wood for basses.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Fieldy's fave bass (like his K-5) is paduak-mahogany-paduak. There was even a solid paduak one a few years earlier!!! (I know I'm a paduak freak)

I can't find the exact model inthe picture in my catalogues, but the face mounted jack screams "high quality" SR1000 or above in my cat's which go back to 92. If it's older, it might be a different series.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono
Fieldy's fave bass (like his K-5) is paduak-mahogany-paduak. There was even a solid paduak one a few years earlier!!! (I know I'm a paduak freak)
Fieldy's "mainstay" SR-1305 was an amazing bass for the money at the time. It's a shame they've gotten such a bad reputation for being known as the "Fieldy bass" (Head over to the Forum at www.talkbass.com and mention his name. On second thought, don't ). You don't see them on the used market much as they were only produced for 1-2 years, and I believe that their owners know what they have on their hands.

You can see an example of a Paduak/Mahogany/Wedge SR-1300 four string in this eBay auction.

Edit - Jono, the solid Paduak (actually 2-peice) most likely was a SR-1500 series produced from 1992-94. Now that is a sweet bass. If I could find that as a fiver, I think G.A.S. would be taking over.

(My apoligies if posting a link to an eBay auction is a no-no here. I have no interest in hyping the sale, and simply want to show a nice picture of the model in question.)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Yep, you're right the padouk 4 string was the SR1500, the 5 and 6 strings were the 1305 and 1306 respectively.

They were around for a year or two in 92-93, then in 94 the solid paduak body was dropped in favour of paduak/mahogany/paduak and the all paduak SR1500 dissappeared to be replaced with the SR1300.

Then in 95, it went to a 9ply multi-laminate body!!!

Paduak-basswood-walnut-basswood-Mahogany-basswood-walnut-basswood-paduak.

The two basswood-walnut-basswood layers were merely accent lines and were very thin, appearing almost like white/black/white binding between the paduak and mahogany layers.

I "thing" that's everything from the catalogues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode