What model is my RG? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
axl

What model is my RG?

Hi all,

I've been trying to figure out the model of my Ibanez RG which I've had for quite some time. It doesn't have a model number on it, but the only one I've found that seem to match the spec is an RG550DY-R which is in the European catalog of 1995. The serial is F5168xx, which I've gathered to mean Japan, 1995, March number 18xx, or possibly January, number 68xx, the serial number decodings I've found are a bit vague around these years.

It's yellow with black headstock and black pick guard. The fretboard is rosewood, which seem to be the reason for the "-R" in the model name above. It's got a V7, S1 and V8 pickup config and Lo Pro Edge tremolo.

What do you think, could be any other model?

Cheers
/axl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 10:17 AM

Re: What model is my RG?

Sounds like what you're thinking.
The neck might not be original also. Definitely a 550DY body though.
Call Ibanez and give them your serial, they should be able to tell you what model the neck came from to see if it matches the body.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 10:20 AM

Did you check the neck cavity for a model number stamp?
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
axl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcord View Post
Did you check the neck cavity for a model number stamp?
No, I never took it apart actually. I've just replaced the strings over the years as I primarily play guitar for recreation since I can't have a drum kit in my apartment.

And I bought it new from a reputable store, so it should be original, I just couldn't find the receipt anymore and I never really thought about the model until now.

Reason I started looking is I'm going to move halfway across the globe and I wanted to see if it was worth keeping it or if should just get a new one when I arrive where I'm going.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 10:53 AM

Well, it's worth keeping if you want to keep it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
axl

Thanks, sounds like it. I always liked that yellow color!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode