What Model Neck Thru with Edge? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 7
What Model Neck Thru with Edge?

Hey folks.

A long while back, don't ask me how long, I saw an Ibanez RG guitar on their website if memory serves me that was an RG that was a neck thru and had the Edge or Low Pro Edge trem. I can't remember the model though. It was either a Prestige, or ? I know it was at least made in Japan. If anyone can tell me what model this might have been I'd for sure appreciate it. I'm looking for a used one, and I would like to know what to search for on here and via google.
The guitar only has to be a jap made Neck thru with either an Edge trem, or Low pro edge. Or, I'd take one without a trem at all, if it's a string thru body, etc, but I'd prefer the trem model. Doesn't matter about pickup configuration, etc,. I just don't want the top of the line special made guitarts that are thousands and thousands..
Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 09:46 AM

Re: What Model Neck Thru with Edge?

Might have been an RGT3120 (2002 model). You sure it was the Edge or Lo Pro Edge and definitely not an Edge Pro???
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Hi Daemon.
I'm not sure if it was an Edge or Edge pro, etc? But that model sounds right.. Do they still make anything like this now days? I'll look for one oof those.
Tim
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 02:45 PM

It could have been an '02 RTG3120. Everything changed to Edge Pro in 2003.

You can find those for sale fairly often.

Last edited by Takin' a Ride; 10-31-2012 at 04:38 PM.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
Hi Daemon.
I'm not sure if it was an Edge or Edge pro, etc? But that model sounds right.. Do they still make anything like this now days? I'll look for one oof those.
Tim
Not sure if there were any neck thru models out this year but if you are looking to but a great used guitar check out the MIJ RGT range. If you are prepared to buy one with the Edge Pro or Edge Zero this will give you more options. There are also Neck Thru J Custom RG models out there but those are much more difficult to come across.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 09:35 PM

The rgt3120 has a different neck profile than the rest of the rg's and is more of a c shape with some girth. I think it was called the ultra or something. This takes the rgt3120 out of the question for me as i am into the slim necks. Look in the classifieds as there are some neck thrus there.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 07:53 AM

where it is true that the RGT3120 does not have the same wizard or wizard 2 necks that are commonly associated with the rest of the RG line, the ultra profile is not alien to ibanez and RGs. i have 3 guitars with the ultra neck: RGT3120, RG2120x, and 540R. also, i have played a JPM100P3 and owned an RBM1; and the shape is near identical to both. slim? not compared to the wizard. fat? not compared to any vintage strat. the best way to describe it is a shredder friendly version of the 60's C neck. in a word: comfortable. another way to describe it would be: versatile. don't let the ultra neck discourage you, it is a beautiful guitar with an impressive neck and specs.

rich
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 09:05 AM

I would not let the Ultra neck discourage you in any way, especially if you own more than one Ibanez guitar. I own both an RBM2 and RBM1 as well as several Jems, all which have beefier necks than a Wizard and they are quite comfortable to play, particularly the RBM's.

That said, if you really want a neck-through guitar and you want to stick with MIJ and an Edge or LoPro with Wizard profile, you're limited to the J.Custom line. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but you'll be paying a big price and the two models in question rarely if ever come up for sale.

You'll be looking for a '01-02 RG9570 or RG9670.

If you want to try one of the newer Edge Pro trems, you could look for an RGT320 (not the RGT320Z). Here's my RGT320QRBB with Crunch Lab/Liquifire pickups:

The neck is a Wizard profile, but it's 18/20mm rather than the "classic" Wizard 17/20 or the Super Wizard 17/19.

Last edited by Takin' a Ride; 02-19-2014 at 08:14 PM.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Guys, I'm afriad I dont know the difference between the edge pro and the low pro or the edge? Someone tell me? The neck profile doesn't make that much difference too me. I actually don't like the really thin necks. I play lead, and have for many years, and I understand the like of the thin necks, but I like tone better and feel the necks which are thick are better for tone, but harder to play, etc,. Anyway, I would love the necks that are ultra's I'm sure. I like a c neck.. Hell, I like a Gibson LP baseball neck! hehe..
What is the difference of the trems? What models come with the Edge pro trems and are neck thru now and made in Japan?
Thanks so much..
Tim
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 12:06 PM

Your best bet will be an '02 RGT3120. These come up on eBay fairly regularly.

The Edge is the original Ibanez version of the Floyd Rose trem and the LoPro is the second gen, low profile version of it. The Edge Pro is their third generation trem and was released in 2003.

Many people are prejudiced against the Edge Pro (even more so against the 4th gen Edge Zero), which isn't helped by the fact that the main endorsers, Vai and Satriani, reverted to the original Edge bridge for their signature model guitars. You will be hard pressed to find specific reasons why people don't like the Edge Pro, but the prejudice against it persists.

If you are open to the Edge Pro, you can consider the '03 model of the RGT3120, the '04 RGT3020 or the '05-07 RGT320. My guitar pictured above is an '06 model. In 2008, Ibanez changed to the Edge Zero, which people dislike for justifiable reasons, such as its stiffness and failure to return to pitch.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 12:58 PM

Mine is an 02. All of my double locking ibanez's are 2002 and older. I am of the lo-pro edge camp. Yes, I'm a hater.

Rich
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 04:22 PM

My first Ibanez was a USRG30 of all things, which had a LoPro. I was really loyal to that for a long time, but now I feel like I prefer the original Edge. I guess it just seems like more of a classic Ibanez bridge to me.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 05:36 PM

Reviews: 2

My Lo-Pro equipped RGT3120......it's an '02

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 06:18 PM

2002 RGT3120 are the only ones i care for. i will end up with a purple one as well someday.

rich
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
My Lo-Pro equipped RGT3120......it's an '02

One of these with a white Crunch Lab/Liquifire set just popped up on eBay.

Tags
neck thru rg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode