What neck? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 01:48 AM Thread Starter

What neck?

i have grg170dx on layaway. i know it's a cheaply built model, but i fell in love with it. i like the purpleish blue finish and sharkfins, but mostly it's the feel of the neck. i came home and didn't really like my schecter anymore. i was wondering what other ibanez's share that neck if any? any rgs? i may find a better guitar on the bay for a little more, but have to know it'll feel the same. if not, i'll put nice pups in the cheapy and love it
Thanks,
Andy

Last edited by moparsons; 09-19-2009 at 02:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 02:09 AM

Re: What neck?

Trying to upgrade an ultra low end model is always a losing battle as a player and for resale but give it your best shot if you must.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

yea, that's why i need to know what else has that neck, so i can get a better starting point. i see alot of nice used rg's and other ibanez's at a little more on the net, but i need to have that same feel.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 02:23 AM

Reviews: 4

Try any higher grade Ibanez RGs or S series's and they will have a similar neck feel but with better construction and a "better" feel, 350's have pretty good necks for the price, In my opinion they are MUCH better than Gio necks. Trust me if you like the cheapest neck then the more expensive Ibanez necks will have you memorised.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 02:50 AM

Yeah man, please do yourself a favor and get a deal on a nicer ibanez. I'm a big advocate of buying decent guitars and turning them into great guitars, I have 2 midline rg's right now that I've upgraded to the point where electronics and hardware wise, they're on par if not better than a prestige. On the bay, I've purchased several ibanez's over the years, and I've always payed between 2 and 300 dollars and came away with a much higher quality guitar. Especially if you're willing to throw some money into it on upgrades, I implore you to look for a nicer Ibanez. The RG 300 and 400 series should all have a higher quality version of the neck you seem to like so much, and if you can manage to get a 5 series or higher on the bay for a steal, that's when you really start getting into real quality stuff.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

What i like about it is the wideness (space between strings) yet thiness (radius) so if th rgs are like that, that's probly the route i'll go.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparsons View Post
What i like about it is the wideness (space between strings) yet thiness (radius) so if th rgs are like that, that's probly the route i'll go.
If those are the dimensions you're looking for you can't go wrong with any of the Wizard necks. The Japanese built necks are way better than the one your currently using. If you want to upgrade a 3 or 4 series that's up to you but as said before here try aiming for a 550, 560, 570 etc. You can pick any of those up pretty cheaply and you're getting you'd be getting a hell of a guitar with no real need to upgrade either.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 05:40 AM

Yeah what you have described is a Wizard neck, plain and simple. Try some other RGs out and decide what you want to buy.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Okay you guys have me convinced. i've been looking at a few rgs. A RG3EX1 has caught my eye. Wizard 2, , EMG designed hbs, and a beautiful finish. i don't really care about a tremelo, so i think it may be exactly what i'm after.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

I ended up getting a RG350EX. I love it. Now I gotta learn how to tune and setup with this edge 3 (never had a tremalo like it before).This should be interesting.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparsons View Post
I ended up getting a RG350EX. I love it. Now I gotta learn how to tune and setup with this edge 3 (never had a tremalo like it before).This should be interesting.
Nice!! Got any pics mate?

All you will need to know is here:

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydogga View Post
\a similar neck feel.
Not really.. the grgs have a neck on them that feels like a gibson. GIGANTIC bloated neck.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

don't have any pics just yet. it's getting a proper set up, so i only have to do minor tweaks. so far....i love it.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousef View Post
Not really.. the grgs have a neck on them that feels like a gibson. GIGANTIC bloated neck.
Ah I've never played any Gios except a modded one that was pretty bad, it was probably worth like $150, but still had a better feel and neck than a $800 squier thinline tele, which was the worst guitar I've ever played...

Tags
grg neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode