What new Ibanez is most like a 1987 RG550? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

What new Ibanez is most like a 1987 RG550?

What new model Ibanez would be the most like a 1987 RG550?

RG655 maybe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 09:32 PM

Re: What new Ibanez is most like a 1987 RG550?

yeah, that's the closest one.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 11:41 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post
yeah, that's the closest one.

THIS^^^^^

The 655 is a 550 with a WAY better neck and stock DiMarzios......pure win!
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
THIS^^^^^

The 655 is a 550 with a WAY better neck and stock DiMarzios......pure win!
I may have to order one through Rich if the US market gets some better colors.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 06:58 PM

I don't know, man, I've still got love for the 20th RG550's. What I like about it is that it has the same 56mm width at the 24th fret. In essence, the RG655 is a RG3550mz with a rosewood fretboard and an original Edge bridge or interchangeably an RG3570z with a pickguard and an original Edge bridge lol. In terms of specs the RG550-XX is the literal answer, to me. Not that I wouldn't own an RG655 if I had the chance, I still plan on it, but I do like the feeling of the original original Wizard neck as well so I would be compelled to own both!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshlc2003 View Post
I don't know, man, I've still got love for the 20th RG550's. What I like about it is that it has the same 56mm width at the 24th fret. In essence, the RG655 is a RG3550mz with a rosewood fretboard and an original Edge bridge or interchangeably an RG3570z with a pickguard and an original Edge bridge lol. In terms of specs the RG550-XX is the literal answer, to me. Not that I wouldn't own an RG655 if I had the chance, I still plan on it, but I do like the feeling of the original original Wizard neck as well so I would be compelled to own both!
I agree that the 550XX is an amazing guitar. It's one I truly regret not jumping on when they came out- but the OP was asking about new models. '07 isn't exactly "new" anymore.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Another thing, I seriously doubt that you'd get more than 30% correct replies if you blindfolded 10 people and asked them to tell you if they were playing a 56 or 58mm neck. I think the "biggest" difference is mental...........
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
I completely with you on the 56mm neck.
I'd choose it any day. but the problem is the 56mm neck is no longer made.

the RG550XX is no longer made, so it makes the only available option is RG 655.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 11:52 PM

RG655 is also AANJ vs square heel on the 20th.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 12:05 AM

actually the other option is Genesis RG 550, but it's not sell worldwide.
At least only some countries get them.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Another thing, I seriously doubt that you'd get more than 30% correct replies if you blindfolded 10 people and asked them to tell you if they were playing a 56 or 58mm neck. I think the "biggest" difference is mental...........
Yeah haha I had realized he specified new after I posted my reply. You most likely wouldn't get many correct responses on the Pepsi challenge with the necks unless the people playing were exclusive Ibanez aficionado. The 655 is the best bet domestically because the Genesis, which has the square heel but wider neck, is for the Japanese market and they're a hefty little price as well. There's an orange 655 on Evilbay for less than a G that I've been eyeing that's less than a G but the dude keeps changing the posted price. At the moment I have 4 RGs, RG3550mz, RG2550z, RG770DX Reissue, and the RG550R-XX. All of the necks are different specs and all of them do feel different but since 2008 I've gone through no less than 17 RGs to settle on those 4, making my wife nearly *kill* me lol and I'm still iffy about the 770. I'm thinking about swapping that for a 655.

Last edited by joshlc2003; 09-04-2014 at 04:34 PM.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 01:56 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post
actually the other option is Genesis RG 550, but it's not sell worldwide.
At least only some countries get them.
Also, weren't these a spot run, meaning if you don't have one already, it'll be tricky to get one...
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 07:43 AM

Reviews: 21

I would also vote for the RG550 20th. They can be found on the 'Bay with some frequency often for a reasonable price.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 12:39 AM

Quote:
I could tell, easily. I have small hands and the 58mm neck on my RG1550 feels HUGE compared to the smaller neck on my RG550. I don't think it's as thin as 56mm, somewhere in between, but I can feel it. That's one of the reasons my 24 year old guitar is my favorite, the thinner neck.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 07:03 PM

So..I know this thread is old but I'm back to say that I do in fact have an RG655 and it is definitively the most like an RG550, barring the Genesis Collection of course. Now, I know that there's only a 2mm difference in the width of the neck at the heel but I can honestly and consciously tell you that there is a more than subtle difference in how it affects the way you hold your hand due to the string spacing. Even looking at it you can tell. 2mm is by all accounts, not a lot, but say for example the difference in feel of a neck with a 19mm thickness at the 1st fret opposed to a 17mm thickness at the 1st. It's pretty much like night and day, neither being better than one another in an absolute sense because of the different applications of both but just being different. The body and weight distribution feels the same, but the feel of the back of the neck is radically different. the back of the RG655's neck a very satiny finish. It almost feels dry but not sticky or clingy whereas the back of the RG550's feels more glossy but is still not grabby on your thumb or palm.

The Edge bridge is still the same but the way it's posted feels different but that's probably just a peculiarity of that particular guitar from production, I wish I could explain it and it's not a bad thing at all. Nonetheless the stability of it is just as good and it also still has the locking stud which is also terrific. The feel of the rosewood fretboard seems dense and dark like the RG550R, which is the one I have, the black one. The rosewood on it is very dark and seems to be thick grained which is nice because it feels very organic under the fingers and makes bending and vibrato feel very smooth and easy. I know that the RG550m maple board is the more popular on and I did have one before, an '87 in Roadflare and by then the finish on the fretboard had worn off so it was also nice and grainy feeling.
I had an RG770 Reissue that's now gone and I currently still have an RG3550mz and I can attest to the feeling that a maple fretboard can feel a little stiff at times and it took me forever, and I mean forever, to finally get it set up to the point where it feels like it's at the sweet spot with the neck relief and action. It still feels good but it does feel very different and I thought it was maybe in my head because I was on the verge of selling the 3550m but I stuck it out and realized that, it feels different because it's more dense and needs a very particular setup to have a specific characteristic instead of a One Size Fits All approach to setting up.
For example, I had the relief at .25mm at the 9th fret. Slightly less, say at .23mm made the rigidity feel more pronounced and at .20mm it was like an iron rod. However, at .3-5mm measured at the 8th with the 1st capoed and body joint (17th) held down made the action feel like it ran high enough for clearance for bending and chords but the stiffness of the strings made the bending difficult, even unenjoyable. I dicked around with it until I found the right setup. I combined instructions from Rich's Ibanez rules site with Ibanez's standard setup specs and very minutely tweaked them while playing and testing the guitar itself. Very time consuming but worth it as now I have the specs written down and know what to look for as far as which way I need to adjust to make it feel just right. The RG655 is not nearly as finicky as that and takes to a setup very well. It's cooperative you might say haha.

Of course the all access joint is different, the pickups, etc, oh and the headstock. Absent is the classic Ibanez checkmark and it has the Prestige logo. Personally I'm more partial to the checkmark because it's just cool and I like it but that's me. I wondered if the Edge bridge itself was a tad wider but I don't think it would make sense to manufacture it that way and it even feels silly to bring it up but the thought did cross my mind. So yeah, as a pickup and go axe like the 550 still is, it's a very easy choice because it's just one of those guitars that feels like it's just ready to play and i like that because I am not one of those people that has a lot of time for high maintenance anything, I almost maxed out on that 3550 and was gonna put it up here or on Craigslist and the only reason I didn't was because I regretted getting rid of my '87 500 and wanted something with a maple neck and that's the only one. Plus it's yellow lol.

I really didn't get attached to the 770 Reissue. The 655 is definitely a keeper tho. So weird, when I got it and picked it up I don't know what I was expecting and I guess a small part of me was just maybe expecting...I don't know, like more, or for something to just jump out at me. But the truth is the more time you spend with it and the deeper you dig, that's when it's character comes out and you can see how special it is. I got a Candy Apple Red one that is a factory 2nd, has a resealed finish chip on it. I guess maybe the reason I was skeptical or apprehensive was because I don't have experience with 2nds but if it's anything like buying refurbished electronics, in a lot of cases you're better off buying those than new because it had a 2nd set of hands and eyes on it and the difference is maybe a mandatory sticker on it that says I'm Not New lol and a few extra dollars in your pocket. Well, I lucked out in that regard. I Googled a comparison for the 655 to the 550 and this thread was one of the search results so I got inspired to write an updated correspondence. Thanks guys. Later!

Last edited by joshlc2003; 04-26-2015 at 10:55 PM.

Tags
rg550 , rg655

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode