What Non-Ibanez's does everyone own here?? - Page 30 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #436 of 523 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 11:01 AM

Re: What Non-Ibanez's does everyone own here??

Added two PRSi and a Gibson. Had a Fender for about a month but determined I'm not a strat guy. The Gibson ES-333 is in pieces currently as I upgrade the electronics and hardware. Slotting in a set of PRS 59/09's with coil split on both. Should be awesome.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #437 of 523 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 08:44 AM

You won't like it, they are mostly basses

1978 USA B.C.Rich Mockingbird bass
1985 USA B.C.Rich Bich 8 string Supreme bass
1985 USA B.C.Rich Ironbird bass
1987 USA B.C.Rich ST bass
1994 USA B.C.Rich Widow bass
2007 USA B.C.Rich Widow bass

2002 Euro Spector 4LX FM
1990's Yamaha RBX 6JM
1980's Korean NT Kramer Baretta bass

1986 Shadow Super Strat
1980's Shadow Super Strat

Also babysitting (4 years so far)

1995 USA B.C.Rich Ignitor
1988 Import B.C.Rich Condor
post #438 of 523 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 07:56 AM

I only have one Ibanez. Bought it yesterday. A 2003 RG370DX.

Other guitars I own:
Washburn D17SCE
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender TeleCaster
Fender Stratocaster "Fat-Strat"
Fender Stratocaster std
Tanglewood 3500S

Just sold my GTX 23, and my old 1983 Jackson.

Update: Just bought a new 2013 Les Paul Studio Gold edition and a Breedlove acoustic.

Last edited by nitroworks; 05-26-2014 at 04:30 AM. Reason: New guitar
post #439 of 523 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 06:36 PM

'56 Les paul fretless wonder Black
'80 Hagstrom swede Baby blue
and a bunch of others
post #440 of 523 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 04:15 AM

I don't seem to have updated this list:

1986 Fender Japan Contemporary Strat with original Kalher trem (the Levinson is sold)

1992 PRS Custom 24

2005 PRS 513 Rosewood
post #441 of 523 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 06:55 AM

^^^

Two five way switches? That is rad. What do they do?
post #442 of 523 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 07:06 AM

The 513 stands for 5 pickups 13 sounds.
You have the normal 5 way like on your Ibanez and the other switch is a 3 way, choosing from single coil/vintage output humbuckers/modern (hot) output humbuckers

The way it is on the pic it is bridge humbucker at full output.

More info: http://www.prsguitars.com/513/
post #443 of 523 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzedout View Post
The 513 stands for 5 pickups 13 sounds.
You have the normal 5 way like on your Ibanez and the other switch is a 3 way, choosing from single coil/vintage output humbuckers/modern (hot) output humbuckers

The way it is on the pic it is bridge humbucker at full output.

More info: http://www.prsguitars.com/513/
That's a great and versatile setup. First I was doing the math and I thought 3x5=15, but then I realized the middle position in the five way is just the middle single coil so it's the same single coil tone whether the other switch makes it single coil, regular hum, and hot hum.

I read that on top of that the single coils don't hum so either they are stacked or maybe there's side by side coils under the cover. The whole thing is ingenious and far better than the 5 way varitone from Gibson which puzzled many a player.

When you are in a noisy gig and amps and/or pedals are not up to par, or you have to suddenly lengthen the set due to being enlisted for more time, the last thing you want is a confusing guitar. I like "single coil" which I would use to cut through too much mud, regular humbucker to get a medium baseline tone to start with, and hot for if and when you need it. Different rooms and audiences live can dictate that and it's hard to predict. I have seen where the hottest dual EMG 81 ESP just fell flat because it was mud to begin with and the tone needed would be more akin to a regular three single coil strat. That would have cut through. Sometimes the boring middle single coil and nothing else gives enough fatness for a rich tone yet cuts through and is mostly left in on a mixed three pickup setup.

When I play in my job at a rest home to do music therapy, there are tons of noises and interruptions and what gets through the mix is single coils. It's not unlike, well, drunk and disorderly people. What a lot of people who play in different live situations will find is that a standard three humbucker Les Paul or SG guitar has a blind spot for cutting through if audience is not quiet and still. Not every PA has enough power to overwhelm that in a way it doesn't turn everything into mud. There's are reason that a good PA operator gets paid more than the hired musicians at times, but that's another thread! Those people are masters.

Back to single coils and cutting through a non-quiet audience, what I did for one of my dual humbucking guitars was put in a push-pull on the volume to allow for three single coil tones to add to the standard three humbucker tones. I simplified the wiring and bypassed the tone control and went straight to three way switch and to output jack. This works for live situations quite well but wouldn't be the best for studio. For what I do practicing, jamming, and live, it's a perfect setup. But your guitar seems to anticipate both live and keeping single coil in mix on all three settings as life jacket, and the studio where you can access the widest range of tones yet avoid any 60 cycle hum on any of the 13 settings. I don't know why Fender, Gibson, or Ibanez haven't figured out this dual switch system for pickups.

Lastly, my guess for what PRS did was have the middle single coil operate as a stack if used alone in position 3 of 5 but somehow be cut to a single coil and by RWRP with one of the coils of the humbucker when put in position 2 or 4 of the five way switch. That way there's no way for hum to cut through. Of course you could also operate that middle single coil as a stack all the time but it may not be as glassy when used with one of the two full sized humbuckers. But PRS may have some sort of filter in there to give it the sound of a true single coil even if it is a stacked single coil. Anyway this type of wiring workaround is fascinating to me and a hum-less HSH setup is a great idea whose time has come.
post #444 of 523 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 12:59 AM

The 513 has true single coils, there is some hum when in pure single coil mode, but less than my Fender. As expected the in between positions are humcanceling.
post #445 of 523 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
The 513 has true single coils, there is some hum when in pure single coil mode, but less than my Fender. As expected the in between positions are humcanceling.
I wonder how they pull that off. Every true single coil pretty much hums like crazy and shielding only cuts so much. I use volume knob to turn off sound between songs when in single coil mode. Inside house practicing at lower volumes the single coil hum is very low but when performing it's a real hassle. That being said my favorite pickups are still the old school vintage Fender pickups.

I typed in PRS 513 patented pickup system no hum single coil in images and got this photo below. This idea as found in some single coils like pictured SA may or may not be used in PRS, but some say it cuts hum better than 66+ percent which is good enough for me. Paul himself claims noise down by 12db on single coil in position 3 and that is as good as any humbucker I have owned. One company, Kinman, makes a single coil that they claim is quieter than a standard side by side humbucker (or in same range as 513's single coil) which I don't believe is possible either.

http://www.kinman.com/index.php

Another thought that comes to mind is maybe something similar to what Suhr does to quiet single coils without dummy coils or stacked single coils:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-ma...gle-coils.html

But the 513 system is a PRS patent and probably different than anything we have seen before and I have heard speculations and simple explanations on gearpage site which has people thinking it's simply using other people's patented ideas like series, parallel, coil tapping, etc done long ago by many others but it's a lot more than that if PRS went legal to get a dedicated patent. There's nothing specific on the net from what I can find exposing PRS secrets on the 513 and the claims of absolutely no hum by owners. Could PRS have that Suhr device built into the body between back and carved top perhaps? This is fascinating to no end and one day we may find out. Is there a small motherboard in the pickup as Paul Reed Smith describes the "board" in the 513's design? There's a reason the coils aren't exposed and I bet there's a lot going on that may even be very high tech, or at least a low tech fix nobody has thought of before. Those guys at PRS make excellent pickups and the whole company has innovation in their blood unlike any company who either want to stick to Gibson model or to Fender model only.

The reason PRS is the top choice of a guitar besides Ibanez is their innovation if I choose again outside of safe Ibby. The PRS guitars have a 25.0" inch scale when they wanted to Fenderize the sound more than a flat 24.75" inch shorter but sometimes muddy Gibson scale. And sometimes when working with single coils, they even lengthened to 25.25" inch scale to make them snappier. But at the same time they didn't copy Fender outright and largely designed away from the typical bolt-on neck and 25.5" inch scale that would borrow directly from Fender. Anybody can go with ash and alder and make a Fender copy and anybody can go with short scale mahogany body Gibson copy but PRS did neither.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 04-10-2015 at 12:52 PM.
post #446 of 523 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 09:06 PM

Epiphone 339 (amazing tone) and a Strat Player's Deluxe. Both of these share a 12" radius. I had a 70s Classic Strat once, but I couldn't get use to the tiny 7.25" radius...
post #447 of 523 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 01:25 PM

Hamer FM P-90
PRS SE One P-90
post #448 of 523 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 09:33 AM

Carvin JB200C in Deep purple with blackburst.

I want JB200SC with an 80s vibe to it... Maybe next year
post #449 of 523 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 01:04 PM

Jackson Dk2 pro,

post #450 of 523 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:

1992 PRS Custom 24

Stunning, beautiful guitar! Absolutely gorgeous

Tags
abalone inlays , alder body , beautiful guitar , blues saraceno , brian moore , caparison guitars , caparison horus , carvin bolt , charvel evh , charvel model , classic strat , crystal planet , custom guitar , custom jem , custom shop , custom shop swirl , custom swirl , dean evo , dean evo special , death metal , deluxe strat , dimarzio paf , dimarzio paf pro , dimarzio super distortion , dimarzio tone , dimarzio tone zone , dot inlay , double cutaway , ebmm evh , ebmm john petrucci , ebmm jpm , ebony board , ebony fingerboard , ebony fretboard , edge trem , epiphone les paul , eric johnson , eric johnson strat , evo bridge , evolution bridge , fanned fret , fanned frets , fat strat , fender bassman , fender custom shop , fender fat strat , fender strat , fender stratocaster , fender telecaster , flame maple , flamed maple , floyd rose , fret neck , gary moore , gibson custom shop , gibson les paul , gibson les paul classic , gibson les paul custom , gibson les paul standard , gibson les paul studio , gmc swirl , gold lace sensors , guitar shop , hamer standard , ibanez collection , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , ibanez jpm , ibanez models , ibanez usa custom , jackson kelly , jackson soloist , jem custom , jimmy page , john petrucci , jumbo frets , killer guitar , kramer pacer , lace sensor , lace sensors , les paul , les paul classic , les paul custom , les paul deluxe , les paul standard , les paul studio , local luthier , locking tuners , mahogany body , malmsteen strat , maple neck , mij strat , neck pickup , neck thru , olympic white , paf pro , parker fly , parker fly classic , parker fly deluxe , patrick eggle , paul reed , paul reed smith , pearloid pickguard , peavey wolfgang , peavey wolfgang special , peavey wolfgang standard , playing guitar , prs mccarty , prs modern eagle , quilted maple , randy rhoads , reed smith , reverse headstock , rich warlock , richie sambora , rosewood neck , sam ash , scalloped fretboard , scalloped frets , schaller locking , schaller locking tuners , schecter revenger , shred machine , signature strat , squier strat , squire strat , srv strat , strat plus , string acoustic , suhr standard , super distortion , swamp ash , swamp ash body , thrash metal , tobacco sunburst , tone monster , tone zone , truss rod , tube amp , tung oil , vigier excaliber , warmoth neck , wolfgang special , yamaha pacifica , yngwie strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

how do ibanez's sound ?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode