What pre and post lawsuit Ibanezes hold up to current Ibanez standards? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

What pre and post lawsuit Ibanezes hold up to current Ibanez standards?

Ibanez guitars, more than any other brand I can think of have great necks and great setup right out of the factory. Are the very old pre and post lawsuit Ibanezes that good, or are they merely close looking copies of American guitars?

The original Ibanez designs I have played like the double cutaway Artist, the AS-200 semi-hollowbody, the signature sheredder JS-100, and the Iceman have all been wonderful instruments after Ibanez was in the game for a long time. I know they made their name as good guitars for a good price when they were copycats.

http://www.tfoa.eu/the_store/index.p...id=35257&sl=DE

Were those as good as Ibanez guitars are now on every level? (and what would anybody suggest buying)

Thoughts.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 10-18-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 03:36 PM

Re: What pre and post lawsuit Ibanezes hold up to current Ibanez standards?

Must own before I die. Amazing craftmanship and attention to detail. Hell, I'd even be happy with one of the reissues!!

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

^^^^^^^^

That is a beauty! Is that a late-70s Artist Custom or something from the 1980s? Those Artist reissues of today are amazing and I wonder if they are the same, better, or not as good as the Artists that helped put Ibanez on the map.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
^^^^^^^^

That is a beauty! Is that a late-70s Artist Custom or something from the 1980s? Those Artist reissues of today are amazing and I wonder if they are the same, better, or not as good as the Artists that helped put Ibanez on the map.
It is beautiful mate, and very rare too. That's the original AR5000 (Artist). Very hard to come across anywhere, only 12 ever made I think. They did reissue it though and the reissues are fantastic as well:

Specs and great pics here courtesy of Rich:

http://www.ibanezrules.com/new/ar5000.htm
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 05:08 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezDaemon View Post
It is beautiful mate, and very rare too. That's the original AR5000 (Artist). Very hard to come across anywhere, only 12 ever made I think. They did reissue it though and the reissues are fantastic as well:

Specs and great pics here courtesy of Rich:

http://www.ibanezrules.com/new/ar5000.htm
That is an absolutely gorgeous guitar!!! Looks like Rich has one ready to go for you Paul ;o)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 01:15 PM

Reviews: 4

Yep, the AR5000s are just plain sick, I love 'em. Here's another rare Artist (1 of 176), my 1986 AR350 Super Edition.
These Artist guitars just bleed quality, they just feel right.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl2556 View Post
Yep, the AR5000s are just plain sick, I love 'em. Here's another rare Artist (1 of 176), my 1986 AR350 Super Edition.
Wow!!! That is gorgeous, a mid 80's Artist with an OE, excellent stuff, looks amazing.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

^^^^^^

I have never seen anything like that!

While Floyds are incredibly common in Ibanez superstats, I just don't see them in guitars of this design. Was the Floyd stock? I have considered putting a Floyd design Kahler (a lot like the Ibanez Edge) into my SG styled ESP/LTD Viper 301. Right now I have a Bigsby in the ESP and I love it but the idea of a locking nut and fine tuners really expands the range and tuning stability. If I do that then I will port the Bigsby to my Artcore.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
Was the Floyd stock?
Yes.It's an original design ibanez edge tremelo, not a floyd.'86-'87 only.
'87 AR350s are VERY rare if you ever get a chance to get one, get it....

Oh, and the 1 of 176 is for the white ones only, not all the colors, the other colors have lower production #s I believe...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes.It's an original design ibanez edge tremelo, not a floyd.'86-'87 only.
'87 AR350s are VERY rare if you ever get a chance to get one, get it....

Oh, and the 1 of 176 is for the white ones only, not all the colors, the other colors have lower production #s I believe...
That is a very sexy guitar. My Kahler is almost identical in many ways to original Ibanez Edge and it's black. I think if I did put it on the Viper I would use a Kahler type nut for it.

Anyway that guitar you have, white or color, is still something I have never seen before. There was a time when GC had a lot of Yamaha SGs with Floyd type trems on them. While I like 9s on 25.5" inch scale, the 24.75" incher will be great with 10s.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 01-11-2013 at 11:16 AM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 09:41 PM

Ibanez is the only big company I can think of that hasn't suffered deep quality dips since they started making good guitars in the 70s (we all know what Gibson and Fender went though in the Norlin and CBS years respectively). Anything that's MIJ through they years is usually good stuff - one reason why I'm confident in buying an Ibanez without playing one first.

Quote:
These Artist guitars just bleed quality, they just feel right.

You have a penchant for rare beasts . I've only seen those in the catalogue until now.

Interesting nut on the AR5000 - half bone, half brass?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
You have a penchant for rare beasts . I've only seen those in the catalogue until now.
I know, it sucks having to wait to get some of these guitars but it's sooooo worth it. Persistence is the key, you just have to keep searching.....EVERY dang day....
As far as the rarity of these, I have seen 1 other one on ebay about 3 yrs ago an I think the guy was asking around $1500.
You see more '85s with the pro rocker come up than the '86s with edge...
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 10:24 PM

^^ Yep, that's the way it goes. I'm always looking at stuff too, not to buy necessarily (unless something completely awesome turns up), but to keep an eye on the market.

Love the PL2660 you got (another 'once in a year on eBay'), and it's not even mine !
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 02:12 PM

I have a lawsuit Ibanez les paul that I bought new and now has Duncan pickups in it. It is starting to need a fret job but plays better than some of my gibsons and my PRSs. One of the best playing guitars I have ever owned. Oh yeah - also changed the machine heads to Grover Imperials. Stays in tune forever. Paid $225 including case brand new - what a deal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode