What pu's does Paul Gilbert use??? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2002, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

What pu's does Paul Gilbert use???

I was amazed over the rythm sound in the song Technical Difficulities by Racer X!
What pu's did he use, they seem pretty strong, and not TOO lead-only
I`ve seen his signatures but I don`t know which of them he uses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2002, 09:02 PM

Hallo there he uses several dimarzio pickups, lately seems to prefer Tone Zones in both bridge and neck and I love this configuration, others are Paf Pros neck and bridge also, the other combination is Super Distortion also N/B.
If you check the Jap Ibanez site you'll find under something special the list of Paul signature models with the specs for each model.
I've tried several PGM models and sincerely I think the PGM300 is the most impressive soundwise, if you need more infos let me know.

See ya

Stefano
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2002, 11:32 PM

For Technical Difficulities, Paul used a Tone Zone for bridge & a Humbucker From Hell for neck. To be precise he was using a PGM500 for that song.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2002, 12:22 AM

He also uses Super Distortions wired in parallel
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2002, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks!!!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2002, 09:27 AM

I have a Super Distortion in the bridge of my Strat and it sounds pretty cool. *I mean, I can get a wide range of tones out of it (although the Flextone II probably helps a bit ) I personally like the tone on the "B.R.O." example on DiMarzio's site.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2002, 02:44 PM

Has anyone ever tried a Tone Zone in the neck position? How does it sound?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2002, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Two hands31 on 9:27 am on Feb. 3, 2002
I personally like the tone on the "B.R.O." example on DiMarzio's site.
Speaking of BRO.. is that Hum from Hell on bridge position ? I think none of the standard PGM's has a HfH on the bridge, but it sounds bridgey to me.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2002, 06:26 AM

Speaking about PGM guitars,

One of my favourite models has to be the PGM800 BRS. The ash body rules. My question is...Why the hell did Ibanez stop the production of this model???
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2002, 07:23 AM

because they can. Why do they stop making any models that anyone likes? I personally love just about any of the hardtail PGM's, but they don't make any of them anymore.

I also love the USRG10, but that's gone. And the JS6. And the RG521. Can you see a theme going on here? hehe
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2002, 08:49 AM

Re: BRO, I don't know for sure, but I'd bet that's an HfH in the neck. *I've got one, and it sounds like a bridge PU in the neck position. *I'd hate to think how it would sound in the bridge...

I'm not even going to get started on Ibanez' decisinos on the PGMs...*cough*PGM10th*cough*...
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2002, 11:54 AM

Hey Kuma,

What do you mean by this???

"I'm not even going to get started on Ibanez' decisinos on the PGMs...*cough*PGM10th*cough*... "
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2002, 03:12 PM

Quote:
skazie on 6:26 am on Feb. 4, 2002
Speaking about PGM guitars,

One of my favourite models has to be the PGM800 BRS. The ash body rules. My question is...Why the hell did Ibanez stop the production of this model???

You and me both...........and just about every PG fanatic out there too *I really wished this guitar was available in the states.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2002, 07:52 PM

Quote:
skazie on 11:54 am on Feb. 4, 2002
Hey Kuma,

What do you mean by this???

"I'm not even going to get started on Ibanez' decisinos on the PGMs...*cough*PGM10th*cough*... "
He means their limited availability, especially to those in the U.S. I agree. Why only 50? I know his fan base isn't as large as Vai or Satch, but many here (in U.S.) would love to have this model. I'm sure they could sell way more than 50 worldwide. Besides being a PG model, it's also a really nice stoptail; something lacking a bit in the current Ibanez catalog.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2002, 07:59 AM

Reviews: 2

I'm SOOooo looking forward to getting mine (PGM10th)

Tags
bridge position , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , ibanez catalog , neck position , paf pro , paf pros , super distortion , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode