what RG is this - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

what RG is this

I have a rg that is a 1990 model has edge and dimarzio pup's exact style as a jpm it's american or japanese I know that much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Re: what RG is this

it is flamed front back and I thinks the sides
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 09:24 PM

Lightbulb Re: what RG is this

take the neck off look in the neck pocket and at the back of the neck may be stamped on there
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 09:29 PM

I'm pretty sure I saw one like that in the Ibanez Register gallery-- I think it was an late 90s RG770. It was purple as well. I saw a red body for auction once... Of course those had AANJ necks.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

took it apart once only thing in the neck pocket is a paper tag that says Ibanez some numbers on the back of the neck where it bolts but they are not readable it has a bound headstock aswell it is the same set up control wise and pup's a petrucci model was told a time or 2 it was thought to be a prototype but when the jpm's came out they had the AANJ
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

the serial number shows it to be a 1990 model but it's not listed in the usa catalog it is also alot heavier than my other 4 rg's which makes me think the body may be mahogany and the neck is a wizard not the wizard ll

Last edited by gunkungfu; 06-07-2005 at 09:45 PM. Reason: left out some info
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 10:31 PM

My guess is that it's a RG770 neck and hardware on a custom made body...
Back in early 90s, the RG didn't came with direct mount pickups, they had pickup rings...
The tremolo cavity cover routing doesn't look like the original RGs and same apply for the control cavity cover which is not an usual Ibanez shape...
Nice body though!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Thought the same as you but looking at some of the American masters and J series they didnt have mounting rings either another guess i had was it was a dead stock model or a custom build for a Ibanez employee or customer
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 11:40 PM

Yeah, but the american masters were all neck-through and the J-Customs only came a decade later and they all have the AANJ...
The fact that it does have the JPM Pickup configuration, 3-way toggle and volume and tone knob placement makes me think it was made to copy a JPM body which came later than 1990...
And it was John Petrucci's idea to get it this way on the JPMs since he thought the volume and tone knobs were in his way when playing a RG, that's what I read in some interview a while ago...
Also, I've never seen any Ibanez RG not having the recessed tremolo cavity cover...
I may be wrong but I would bet on a custom made body...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 11:53 PM

The knobs should also be purple, shouldn't they? And the cover over the control cavity is an odd shape? I'd also vote for a custom. If it plays well though, you've got one cool guitar!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

It had been several years since taking this apart but after doing so I have found it to be a a custom body not sure who made it it has a signature and on the neck the orginal holes were filled and redrilled it plays like it always has beautifully it is player grade not collector but I would trade for a iceman ic400 or a rg421 anyone intrested

Tags
aanj neck , cavity cover , direct mount pickups , john petrucci , mount pickups , petrucci model , pickup ring , pickup rings , recessed trem , tremolo cavity

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode