What RG to get? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

What RG to get?

Greetings,

I've been looking around on this site and on the internet to try to figure out what RG to get, but I can't seem to decide which one would be worth getting.
I've been looking to get a new guitar for a while but none have really caught my eye until I saw a guy on Youtube playing an RG550 and I instantly loved the bright, sharp look of those older RG's . I've narrowed my search down to an RG350, the new RG1XXV and the RG1550.
So here's my dilemma, the RG350 is cheaper but I feel that if I'm going to get a new guitar I might as well get something that is above mid level. As for the RG1XXV, I've read good and bad things such as spots in the paint and other minor imperfections. It's also made in Indonesia yet its similar in price to the RG1550 which is MIJ. But since my local guitar shop wants $1240CAD for it I feel like it should be more or less perfect and it seems a lot more expensive than what I've been hearing around the internet. Then there is the RG1550 which is really the guitar I want, but its the most expensive and I don't know if it would be worth getting it since I am no where near a pro at guitar and I don't play on stage or anything.
I play mostly metal and rock, but I want to start learning Blues, but metal is my primary type of music. As for budget, I'm willing to spend a little extra to get something really good, but cheaper the better.

I apologize if there is already a post the same as this one, but I looked around for a while and couldn't find one.

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 07:28 PM

Reviews: 21
Re: What RG to get?

I have 3 RGs, a 1550 like you mentioned, a 1570 and a 550XX aniversary.

I can really recommend the 1550 for the money, especially if you pick one up second hand or on offer. Having something MIJ is usually worth the expense, that said you can get rare jewels from non Japanese factories, but the quality varies a little more.

I've tried a 350 before, the neck is insanely different in profile from the 550. The 550 being wizard or wizard 2, the profile is quite narrow. I found the neck on the 350 to be more Jackson / Gibson like in it's depth, but that really is down to your preference, so play them both before you make a choice.

That said close to £800 (1240 CAD) seems a little expensive for a 1550.
I picked mine up in blue, brand new on a deal for £500 so closer to 800 CAD.

If you can, drop something like a Bareknuckle Nailbomb in the bridge and you'll have something special
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

I saw the 1550 online for $999.99, but I don't know what the final price would be after tax and shipping, but 800 bucks is well in my price range. It's the RG1XXV that is $1240 but the shop wants a down payment so it seems it'd be a guaranteed purchase, which I'm not particularly fond of since I want to test the guitars and may decide not to get it.
I guess I'm going to look around for the 1550, hopefully I can find a place to test it lol.
Would it be worth finding a newer 1550 like the MZ? Or are they all generally good?

Thanks for the help!
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 08:10 PM

Reviews: 1

I would suggest an earlier 1550 with the Edge Pro bridge. There is a poison pumpkin and a blue on our fave auction site for 800 USD. They should also include the prestige case also. You can also find early '90s 550 for 500 USD or 570/560 for 300 USD. In my opinion, are hands down better quality guitars with original Edge trems. Even Vai and Satch went back to the original Edge. Good luck on your search.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Alright cool, I'll definitely keep an eye out. Right now the earlier 1550 seems to be the easiest to get, so I'm going to aim for that, but if I see any 550's I'll check them out for sure.

Thanks
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

I've been looking around for the past couple days and can't seem to hunt a 1550 down. The ones I have been finding don't ship to Canada. Same goes with the older 550/570 etc. What would be a good alternative that is more readily available that's in a similar price range be? I was looking at the RG3250MZ but it's out of my price range.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 03:11 PM

I did a quick search for Ibanez on canadian evil bay and took a quick look at the first pages and found some RG1570, RG560, RG520, RG1560 and some cool S-models. Don't limit yourself to 550 and 1550. There are others that are just as good quality.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Never really thought of evil bay, gonna go look now. I saw a 550 on the jiji for $650 and a 1550 for $600. Both have a couple dings and what not but look good overall. The only thing is is that they're about an hour or more away. Are those prices fair? What do 550's and 1550's in good condition usually go for used?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

I found a guy selling a brand new 2007 RG550XX (still has tags hanging off of it). He wants $1200 for it though, which seems high. I looked around and saw people selling them for $600 to $800. It looks to be in new condition and is RFR in colour, what price should I expect, or is $1200 fair? I figure I could get something else but brand new for that price.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 09:40 PM

I'm very satisfied with my RG1570Z but it also need a pickup mod to make justice for the great craftmanship.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 05:43 PM

Consider an RG520QS if you can find one. Reasonably priced ones go for $300-$500 depending on condition (you'll also find people asking WAAAAY too much for them).

It's got a mahogany body for beefy tone and sustain, and just two humbuckers- no single coil. Quilted Sepele top (actually a veneer- too thin to be considered a "top"). Original Edge tremolo and original Wizard neck- really a great way to go if you can find one.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

I'll check those out. I finally found an original RG550. It's a bit scratched up but has no cracks or a warped neck. Hopefully I'll be able to test it out sometime this week. The only thing that I don't like about it is that it's got a Kahler trem, it might be good but I'v read mixed opinions on them. I just prefer the Edge or Floyd.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 09:06 PM

I am sort of in this same boat. Thinking about looking for a new guitar but there are so many different RGs, I'm trying to learn the difference.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I usually figure out a price range, then figure out what fits my needs best. Then I probably read a couple hundred reviews and usually I'll have a winner lol
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinmanTom View Post
Yeah, I usually figure out a price range, then figure out what fits my needs best. Then I probably read a couple hundred reviews and usually I'll have a winner lol
Man, you're not kidding. I end up staying up way after I should be in bed because I always happen to find reviews late at night when I should be getting ready for bed.

And then I have to stay up and read them because I'm excited. lol.

Tags
rg350 rg1xxv rg1550

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode