What RG570 is more desirable? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
What RG570 is more desirable?

I have the opportunity to pick up a 1989 (according to serial number) RG570. I see that the specks have changed over the years of its production and Iím not sure if this was for the better or worse. Pickups, neck material / type and bridge changed. So I ask of the following changes, what features are more desirable?

1 piece wizard neck with tilt joint or 3 piece Super wizard with AANJ?

Original Edge or Lo Pro Edge?

V1 / S1 / V2 or V7/S1/V8?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 05:26 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: What RG570 is more desirable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportrider24 View Post
I have the opportunity to pick up a 1989 (according to serial number) RG570. I see that the specks have changed over the years of its production and Iím not sure if this was for the better or worse. Pickups, neck material / type and bridge changed. So I ask of the following changes, what features are more desirable?

1 piece wizard neck with tilt joint or 3 piece Super wizard with AANJ?

Original Edge or Lo Pro Edge?

V1 / S1 / V2 or V7/S1/V8?

Thanks!!

As far as quality goes.......all the changes are in line with each other.
-The OE/LP: both are equal in quality and reliability....they do feel a little different, but both are great bridges!! You can't make a bad choice between the two.

- tilt heel/AANJ: again no difference in quality. the feel of each is quite different. Some prefer the tilt joint square heel guitars....others prefer the AANJ. You can't make a wrong choice here either.

- V1-V2/V7-V8: The V1/V2 have a more classic rock sound and are a little cooler than the V7/V8 set which are voiced for a little more modern rock/metal. The V7/V8 set DO require that you switch the magnets from one to the other (Phantom V8 mod) if you want to get the most out of them.

All in all.....both are amazing guitars that were intended for the everyday working pro guitarist. You can't make a bad choice here. You just need to try both and see which one is the better fit (feel) for you.

Ryc
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info RGTfanatic. The serial number is F935159 which I believe to be an '89. It has the 1 piece wizard neck but oddly enough, V7/S1/V8 pickups (which I would perfer). Guessing it is not 100% original.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 06:25 PM

Reviews: 13

A lot of these have started to get parted out these days. Pickuos do sound unusual for that era.

-Wolfram
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 07:29 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportrider24 View Post
Thanks for the info RGTfanatic. The serial number is F935159 which I believe to be an '89. It has the 1 piece wizard neck but oddly enough, V7/S1/V8 pickups (which I would perfer). Guessing it is not 100% original.
YW!!!

Yeah, the serial shows it's an '89. The V7-V8 combo would be wrong for the year, but obviously still right for a 570. I'd call that a non-issue. If you can play it, make sure everything works well (switching, quiet electronics, pups sound good, trem returns to tune.......that sort of stuff). If all goes well, I'd probably buy it if the price is good (depending on condition)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 09:21 PM

I'd go for an '89 every time, but I'm totally biased toward pre-1994 guitars.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Seller confirmed they are V1 / V2's. Cell phone pics were hard to make out and they looked more like 7/8's. No worries though. I'm going to look at it tomorrow night. Depending on how good the pickups sound, I may replace them with the Duncan Detonators in my Korean RG470. I'd love to throw some green dimarzio's and hardware on the 570. Guess we'll see how tomorrow goes...
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 10:29 PM

although I love the super wizard neck more than anything, but when it comes to 570, I'll pick '80 570 anyday.
solid black hardware, trans finish on the FM, and I don't care about pickups as they were replaceable.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 01:12 AM

Go get the 1989 RG570, the don't make guitars like that anymore.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 05:01 AM Thread Starter

That's for sure B.B.A.

I bought a '93 S470 with a LoPro edge at a really good price a couple of months ago. Let a man play it that came to look at an amp I was selling who fell in love with it and he offered me $200 more than I paid for it. I sold it to him and really wish I hadn't.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

Have another Q... When going to look at this 570, what should I pay really close attention to before deciding? Being a 23 y.o. guitar, I want to make sure I cross all my T's and dot my i's. I plan on bringing a portable amp but even so, I'm not too concerned with electronics. I know how to determine if the neck is warped and if frets life is bad but my concern is not being able to tell if the trem may be shot or just poorly set up. Maybe there are other things that I should be paying attention to that your average amature player might overlook..

In conversation the seller seems pretty straight up and honest when I asked him Q's. Known issues are a couple of small body dings near the input jack (no big deal), a little oxidization on the pickup poles and neck plate, small hairline finish crack in the body where it attaches to the neck.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 06:46 AM

I'd be worrying about the fret life, but it's replaceable.
check the trem knife edge and pivot maybe?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

Absolutely will be looking at the frets. That's one area that worries me. When I asked the seller about the frets he said he had to check. He was pretty sure it had a "fret job" but would let me know when he got home. He got back with me later and said no fret job on it and that there was "minimal string wear on them frets". LOL
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

I got me a '89 570 boys!!! Checked her over really good. Neck and frets are good. A few small dings on the body and one on the headstock but overall very good condition for a 23 year old guitar. She's all original. Took her out of the case and she was already tuned so I threw on my headstock tuner and went to work on the edge. She returned perfectly to pitch every freakin' time. I really want to post some pics but she really needs a cleaning first. The fretboard is just disgusting with gunk. I'll clean her up tomorrow and get some pics!!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

I took some good pictures last night and set the SD card down to use the restroom. When I came out it was gone. My dog tore it to pieces. So now all I could do was take some bed cell phone pics. For a 23 year old guitar she's in pretty good condition. There are a couple of small dings on the body and headstock, a hairline crack in the body at the neck and some oxidation on the pickups and neckplate. The Edge functions flawlessly! Very happy with this one!!!

Might as well throw some pics of my 470 up as well.

I really like the V1/V2 combo but I think I'm going to replace them with some Dimarzio's in the future. Maybe some green evo's and matching hardware. Then put the V1/S1/V2 in the 470. The Duncan Design Detinators are not bad pickups but just too hot for my taste. The EMG designed single coil is (IMO) a horrible pickup.

Tags
rg570

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode