What RGR is this? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

What RGR is this?

I've been going crazy lately and picked up another Ibanez from the Bay, but I couldn't resist the reverse headstock. The item number is 280619442949

I cannot figure out what model RGR it is. The inlays throw me off as I have yet to find one with the Black Shark Tooth.

I don't think it is a 370 due to the INF's and it doesn't appear to be a 570, becasue the neck appears to be 1 piece maple.

I've searched all week, but can't find a match for this anywhere. I even checked a couple of the old catalogs out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 10:43 PM

Reviews: 21
Re: What RGR is this?

RG5EX1 in flat black. You can buy one new for $400.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

No wonder I couldn't find it. Thank you for the info.

Now I need to decided whether or not to keep it.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

I think I'm going to keep the neck, purchase a AANJ 570 body from somewhere, and sell the fully loaded body.

Changing the tremolo out on this particular model seems like too much trouble. I guess I learned my lesson and should ask questions before bidding.

Last edited by eshanew; 01-30-2011 at 01:15 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 03:26 AM

Reviews: 2

The RG5 has an Edge III correct? personally, I'd keep it. Use the edge III til it wears out then drop an Edge-Pro in it. If I remember right the EP is a direct drop-in, no modding necessary.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Yes the RG5 is an Edge III and from what I've read the only thing that should be changed when swapping for an Edge-Pro is the trem posts and inserts.

I will probably do this since the other route would end up costing me the same or more. The other thing that will get done is a PUP swap and PUP ring removal.

It would be nice if the US saw more of the Japanese models that are set up this way from the factory.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

One of the local shops has a set of Peavey EVH PUPs for sale at a pretty decent price and I've been thinking of throwing them in this guitar to replace the INF's.

To my knowledge the Wolfgangs are also made of Basswood, so I assume they would be a good fit.

I would put in DiMarzios, but I've already spent too much recently on guitar equipment. Has anyone done this or have any opinion on it?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 07:00 PM

Reviews: 2

If they're the right price, I'd go for it. not sure, but I think the EVH's are Tone Zone/ Air Norton clones.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.

One of the guitars I regret selling was a Wolfgang Special, so as of now I'm thinking about making this one it's replacement.

I plan to do this by ditching the middle PUP and PUP rings, moving the volume to the tone position, sand the neck, strip the body, fill the holes, repaint Cream, and eventually get an Edge Pro installed.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

I received the RG5 today and I gotta say I'm pretty in to it. It's an excellent building block.

I've already removed he jackplate and put and heavier duty one on. Yes it's minor, but the stock one is pretty bleh.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode