What Rg's were available with a Reversed Headstock? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

What Rg's were available with a Reversed Headstock?

I know the obvious the Paul Gilbert model; RG540PII; RGR565; and the new GC limited Edition RG1EX5.

Reason I ask is some guy is selling an RGR565 but the neck is a reversed headstock with Rosewood fretboard and sharktooth inlays and the RGR565 only had a maple fretboard with matching color dot inlays. Wondering where this neck was from. I can rule out the RG1EX5 as those inlays are a fake abolone or something and these look like regular MOP. I don't recall if the Paul Gilbert ever had sharktooth inlays. And the neck joint is the older pre AANJ. Anyone know where this neck could have come from? He gave me the serial # and it is from 91 but he never got back to me regarding if the neck was original or if the model number on the sticker was still there or if he could remove the neck to see the model # on the neck heel.

Another weird thing is he told me it was a Desert Yellow originally and someone painted it black... Including the headstock!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Re: What Rg's were available with a Reversed Headstock?

Here it is:

Here's the headstock, I think he said the logo is gone and you can see underlying yelllow finish on the headstock. What guitars had a reversed color matched headstock besides the Paul Gilbert and RGR565?

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 05:42 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion1 View Post
I know the obvious the Paul Gilbert model; RG540PII; RGR565; and the new GC limited Edition RG1EX5.

Reason I ask is some guy is selling an RGR565 but the neck is a reversed headstock with Rosewood fretboard and sharktooth inlays and the RGR565 only had a maple fretboard with matching color dot inlays. Wondering where this neck was from. I can rule out the RG1EX5 as those inlays are a fake abolone or something and these look like regular MOP. I don't recall if the Paul Gilbert ever had sharktooth inlays. And the neck joint is the older pre AANJ. Anyone know where this neck could have come from? He gave me the serial # and it is from 91 but he never got back to me regarding if the neck was original or if the model number on the sticker was still there or if he could remove the neck to see the model # on the neck heel.

Another weird thing is he told me it was a Desert Yellow originally and someone painted it black... Including the headstock!!!!
The RG565 was available with rosewood board. I believe this was either an early model or a prototype. I know 2 people who have them.

Painting that guitar black was a really stupid thing to do. Personally I'd remove the finish and have it repainted in Desert Yellow, then buy new parts and restore that poor thing to original. An RG565 Proto in DY? = SICK.

Kosaku's RG565 Proto.

Last edited by Dee; 01-13-2007 at 05:49 PM.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Wow I had no idea!!! I figured someone swaped some newer Korean neck but the older neck joint made that had to believe so maybe this is a proto.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

I rechecked my email and he said it was from 1990 as the serial was F90xxxx. Does it seem legit?
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 09:43 PM

that's my PERFECT ibanez. H/S, reverse headstock, inlays....drool
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 10:23 PM
Dee

It is legit. If you can buy it and restore it, that'd be a good idea. Patrick at SCS would do a nice paint job in DY if that's how you wanted it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
that's my PERFECT ibanez. H/S, reverse headstock, inlays....drool
Me too. I've been looking for the right one for many years.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 09:55 AM

It's an RG765. Not really a prototype, but they were spot production models for what would become the RG565.

If you're lucky, that black paint job is just a rattle can special. Then some laquer thinner will take it off leaving the factory DY underneath. just be careful on the headstock in case the original logo is still under that mess. --Jason
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I just hope the transit from NC to FL will be a safe one, and that the guy packs it well. He's got no case and has never shipped a guitar before. Wish me luck!
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 06:58 AM

My reverse collection:

(L-R) RGR470 Deep Wine Burst, RGR470 Jewel Blue Burst, RGRT47DX Galaxy Black, RG565 Gloss Black.

(Not pictured) RGR450LTD
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 07:09 AM

Love the blue one!
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 07:41 AM

nice.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 02:10 PM
MFB

I'm kind of in love with that 565, despite it being gloss black
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 02:12 PM

Thanks for all the encouraging comments guys. I'll post pics of my modified RGR450LTD once it gets back from the tech.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 06:04 PM

a friend used to play this guitar:

I'm not sure its an RG, maybe an RD

Tags
dot inlay , dot inlays , maple fret , maple fretboard , neck joint , paul gilbert , production model , reverse headstock , reversed headstock , rosewood board , rosewood fretboard , sharktooth inlay , sharktooth inlays

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode