What series does this RG belong? (lefty) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Question What series does this RG belong? (lefty)

Hi there,

I found this second-hand Black RG in a local shop, pretty bad condition, covered in dust, broken strings, rusty... lots of stuff to do

There's no serial number on it, the neck read on the front "Ibanez" "RG series"
at the back F9821967 Japan
trem reads Ibanez Lo-TRS Trem (I've heard it's a so so trem) ; Licensed Under Floyd Rose Pats.
Oh yeah!, and the underpart of the trem when I removed it reads TAKEUCHI MADE IN JAPAN, isn't that a hint of quality, or not?
Pickups (neck-middle-bridge): V7 - S1 - V8

The neck is still in perfect condition, virtually no fret wear, and is very comfortable, I don't know which series either. There's no stripe on the back of the neck, I guess it's a one piece neck, looks like maple neck/rosewood fretboard judging from the colors (I don't mind though, really comfortable neck )

Any idea?

The vendor is asking for $500, guitar comes with a Gator hardshell case, negotiable.

Last edited by dreamyreality; 03-26-2008 at 01:50 PM. Reason: additional information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 01:22 PM

Re: What series does this RG belong? (lefty)

don't know what series, but i do know $500 is twice its maximum value in mint conditions.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 01:26 PM

Sounds like a 1998 RG470

Not a bargain @ $500 if ya ask me. Im not too fond of that lo-trs trem, if I were you Id look out for an RG5xx RG7xx with original or low pro edge

Last edited by mike80sguy; 03-26-2008 at 01:28 PM. Reason: type o
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 01:28 PM

^agreed. RG470 and overpriced.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Hi there, many thanks for the timely response, the seller allows me to bring the guitar back home for cleaning/ setting up before I decide whether I would buy it (not many lefty guitarists around here... ), every part is clean now, however, I having trouble putting it back together (duh!)

the 6 saddles don't appear identical, 4 of them have a little number '6' imprinted on the underside, while 2 others has '7'. Also, lo-TRS doesn't seems to be a popular trem so I don't find an assembly diagram anywhere yet, any hint?

The trem, as stated above, is Japanese made though, it is any good? I found no wear whatsoever on the parts of the trem, but, the guitar is not set up yet so I can't tell whether it would stay in tune after using the trem. I don't abuse the trem so much though, having been playing Strats and Gibson styled guitars all along.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 02:25 PM

Reviews: 1

yep... a RG470
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 04:05 PM

I dont know about the sadle numbering on IBZ trem. As far as the TRS goes; it seems that most agree on it not being up to par with an edge but still allright. The lo trs 2 is really a heap or so it seems cuz I never dared touch it.

I wasnt to fond of the TRS when I tried it but Im not a fan of that Edge 2 either. For me its an Edge or Lo Pro edge, love em. IMO theyre the sturdiest most abuseproof and absolutely will not go out of tune. But to each his own.

The Lo TRS isnt bad, its just not my kinda trem.

Above all the main thing you should worry about is the price. I know Lefties are hard to come by but 500bucks for a lower-end RG series (4xx and not edge equipped) seems pretty steep whether you like the TRS or not.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 05:39 PM

Reviews: 120

You have there a Japanese made LO-TRS trem, it's much better than the LO-TRS II trem on the Korean RGs of the time. Takuechi make a quality item. It's not as smooth a trem as the Edge/Lo Pro Edge, but still a damn good trem.

The guitar would be a Japanese made RG470, made in 1998. It will also come with a Japanese made Wizard II neck most probably, which most people find better than the Korean or Indonesian Wizard II. It's supposed to be shaped more like the Wizard in profile, but a little thicker like the Wizard II.

Sure $500.00 is definitely overpriced if you are in the US, but going by your location you are in Vietnam, and that is probably a decent price for something like that guitar.

I would be saying to the store owner that if you are to do the hard yards and clean it up that he should give you a decent discount on it.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post

Sure $500.00 is definitely overpriced if you are in the US, but going by your location you are in Vietnam, and that is probably a decent price for something like that guitar.
Agreed, these usually go for between $200 and $300 here in the U.S., but there also like so stupid common its not even funny. In places like Vietnam $500 doesn't seem that bad, especially for a lefty.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Yep, I've cleaned the guitar and set it up, ready to play now.

The string tree is missing, actually, at first I broke 3 high e strings probably because of that, later on I learnt the lesson so I managed it. However, without that string stree/retainer thing when the guitar is tuned and locked it is slightly detuned so I have to retune it using the fine tuners... I m thinking of buying one set off ****.

What's more, the trem is not in good shape, would not stay in tune.

the 2 strem posts (?) when I tighten them all the way down they do no shake but there's not enough space to even install the trem, but when I rise then even just a little they start to rock slightly inside the stud holder things (duh!), when the guitar is fully setup then it stay in tune great almost everywhere on the neck, however, I just can't use the trem for if I dare use it even very slightly then the whole thing would detune.

Anybody know how to fix this? Is is possible to fix it yourself by buying and installing new parts?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 05:25 PM

Reviews: 120

Are you able to upload some photos of the trem, etc to we can try and assess it?

At the end of the day if the trem is dead, and you like the guitar otherwise and cannot find anything else comparable you could always buy yourself a new trem.

You could pick up a Gotoh licensed Floyd Rose which amazing, and cheaper than an Official Floyd Rose.

If you need to save some more money you could always pick up one of the Ta keuchi TRS 101 trems which are supposed to be pretty good for the money too.

Tags
floyd rose , maple neck , pro edge , rosewood fretboard , string tree

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode