Ibanez JEM Forum banner
9K views 23 replies 21 participants last post by  mccon.mark 
#1 ·
I am looking at one in the catalog and assumed they were made in Japan. I was wrong. They are made in Indonesia. These necks are called Wizard II but are thicker than the Wizard necks.

I just bought another (my second) RG470 and love the neck, but want a fixed bridge for emergency situations.

I was looking at the RG321 and after some thought wonder what the difference is between it and the fixed bridge models offered at Guitar Center. The differences to me seem like only paint. All hardware seems to be the same.

Are they the same (besides the basswood vs. mahogany body)?

Is there a Japanese model with the thinner neck? I hate to be a snob, but to me there is a small but significant difference between the Japanese and other make necks.

Thanks for your input in advance.

#4 ·
I've just bought a 321 for 'the boy' for Christmas (picked purely for the fixed bridge as IMHO: 1st guitar + Edge trem = frutsrated child).... naturally being the upstanding father figure that I am I have, for purely testing purposes, been playing it for some time now.

As far as I'm concerned it's a mighty fine guitar for the money (think I paid about £170) It played and sounded good straight out of the box.

Without sounding blunt I couldn't care less where a neck is made all I want is something that feels good, is easy to play and something that won't resemble the profile of a banana two days after Christmas. The neck on the 321 ticks all these boxes.

As this guitar is not a gigging one I can't tell you how it will sound through a half stack in a live situation - I've only played it through a small MArshall valvestate, a Line 6 Spider and my trusty PodXT - again it sounds up for the job to me!

If you want a solid back up guitar at not much outlay I'd recommend one

HTH
Karl

#7 ·
Thanks for all of your opinions. I am not trying to be snobby, but the Japanese 440 necks are stamped, "RG 550" or "RG550." I am pretty sure this is the original wizard neck. It seems thinner between the frets and the center of the back of the neck. It feels flat.

I was a strat man for 16 years and I should have switched to Ibanez sooner.

I like all models above the GIO series, but Gio series are good for their price point. I think all Ibanez are worth MSRP and whatever street price is is a good deal. I think right now Ibanez and Schecter are the top brands at the best prices. I will not knock the big 2. They are ok for what they are but overpriced for sure.

I like the RG2EX1 which is like an RG321 but basswood body. I am not picky about woods if the guitar sounds good. I like this guitar and I might even buy it as there are several in my city. My gripe is that the neck is thicker than my RG440 (I assume it is the original wizard neck). If I could get that guitar in a fixed bridge all would be good in my home.

#20 ·
I will not knock the big 2. They are ok for what they are but overpriced for sure.
QUOTE]

That's largely due to the fact that they are made, packed, shipped, promoted and sold by people paid in the same dollars you are! And besides, last time I looked, the MSRP of a Les Paul Standard was pretty much exactly what a JEM VWH was advertised at. Don't come to the conclusion too quickly that US guitars are overpriced - the American Standard Strat is a very fine guitar for what you can buy it for, brand new, right now in a shop near you.

I think one of the things that people like about the RG 321 is that it is cheap enough that you are not going to balk at sanding off the finish, drilling holes in it, changing pickups etc to make it what you want it to be, and, yes, it is a very fine guitar indeed for not a lot of bucks.

#10 ·
The RG321MH is an excellent guitar for the money. IMHO, it may be the best guitar you can buy for under $400. Add $150 for a pair of DiMarzios or your favorite Duncans and you've got a great sounding and playing axe, without having to fork over a month's paycheck.

I use one on stage for all of our sets that incorporate songs that require alternate tunings. I bought it from Matt's during the first run of the oiled mahogany finish. It's only mod is a pair of TZ/ AN pickups. I keep it at our bassist's home so I don't have to carry a guitar back and forth to band rehearsals.

#14 ·
Man, after reading the overwhelmingly great reviews for the 321 I really feel like buying one too! I really wish I'd discovered Ibanez years ago. But it's never too late. Every since I blew my wad on a JEM last year my Fenders get a lot of case time - although I still like them for what they are.

The 321 sounds like a good, simple, fixed-bridge beater.

#16 ·
I've only heard very good things about the RG321 myself. I've heard that all they need to be outstanding is a swap of pickups and maybe a bit of the finish taken off the back of the neck. But that's minor stuff for a guitar you're going to keep and play. Great bang for the buck.

#23 ·
I've thought about picking up a 321, but I just HATE those little set screws in bridge that dig into my palm when I'm playing. That's the same reason I'll never buy another Strat....and also the reason I love the smooth bridge on my RGA321. If Ibanez were to put the Gibralter bridge on a regular RG321 I'd be all over it.

#24 ·
Im considering picking one of these up in the next while, they look the part, play alright and they lack the biggest disadvantage of other 300 series Ibanez guitars... the edge 3!
I got a spare set of active emg's that i wud throw in, and tune her down to c.
I think another big reason that ppl love these guitars soo much is that they cost the same as a gio... but look like a 'proper' ibanez.
And TequilaKing, great idea for an xmas gift.. i agree that children and locking trems sounds liek frustration :p
I hope u find a guitar that you are happy with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.