What technology was used for drawing figures on ART1&JPM - Page 3 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 05:29 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Bleeding color is a result of the wood,
Or the silkscreen, or the mask as Darren aluded to above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 05:42 PM

BUT...I'm not stating definitively that the ARTs WERE done by hand. The bleeding COULD be a result of the masking, etc. It COULD be a result of whatever magical silk-screening method that you theorize was used. It COULD be a result of half a dozen different things. But I'm not even going to hazard a guess as to which is true, because I don't have PROOF.

I don't have video or any other form of documentation stating that the ARTs were stained by hand. You haven't shown any proof stating otherwise. As it stands, there are two THEORIES as to how they were done. You can attempt to justify your theory, but unless you can actually PROVE it, then it's just a theory.

And I don't need to ask Mike- I had the guitar for a couple of years and spent quite a bit of time examining the finish. In fact, that's why I sold it. I spent more time looking at it than I did playing it!
post #33 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 06:00 PM
Vendor

Then you know how bad the glitter fill was, just as it in on the 3040's. Still IMO the only "hands" that were invloved in a JC from the era

[beside the requisit finish sanding and fret end radiusing, either of which could be incredible, or mediocre]

The factory has been contacted for a definative
post #34 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 06:05 PM

In all fairness, "IMO" applies to this entire thread up to this point (on BOTH sides)

It'll be interesting to see what the "factory" has to say on the matter. Especially since Ibanez has been SOOOO helpful in providing other in-depth details and info on the J-Customs LOL

"Well...the RG-ARTs and JPM90HAMs WERE touched by hands, but we can't tell you by how many hands, whose hands they were, or in what manner or for what purpose the touching was done."
post #35 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Vendor

Thye probably won't even answer
post #36 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 06:13 PM

Well...either way, I suppose that the original question has more or less been answered: No transparent fabric with a printed design was laid under the clear.
post #37 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 06:15 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaijem777
I never said that staining an ART wasn't different. It's obviously a much more time-consuming technique, but that doesn't mean that it wasn't done. For a relatively SMALL run of guitars such as the ART, it's not at all impossible.
You consider 48 to be SMALL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaijem777
As for the screw-ups...again, the original J-Customs were to be showpieces for Ibanez to show what they were really capable of. It's highly unlikely that they'd release any with major visible flaws. Do you know for a FACT that there weren't a bunch of screw-ups that have never seen the light of day? We're not talking JS10ths where the finishing process was too costly to just scrap the project altogether. Flaws are expected with them. But on a guitar that was supposed to really show off the Japanese luthier's skills & prowess? It's common sense that they would be held to a slightly higher quality control standard than the average JEM or JS (even if that isn't the case currently).
Yes, I've seen plenty on 97' JC's. The chipping on the Gears, bad. Neck pockets way too big. The afformentioned fill on the Arch's. It's all "hype" meant to sell guitars. The 90th series was also hyped the same way if you remember. To show the home market the quality that could be produced. Nah, I "never" see any flaws on those! [the bindings on the PG's around the inner curve of the horns, the pockets on many of the JP's. The guards and pockets on the Jem's. No complaints on the JS's]
post #38 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 06:23 PM

I actually inspected my GEAR this morning before packing it up. I've seen the chipping on Shawn's, but his is a "player" anyways. I got mine NOS, and it is crisp and new. NO chipping. The only "flaws" that I could even find were miniscule gaps between parts of the walnut gear inlays and the mahogany top. Still, considering that at the time there wasn't another guitar that could really compare, it's hard to call that a "flaw". It could just be a factor of the technique used.

Compared to a JEM10th, a JS10th, a DNA, or a PRS Artist (or even most of the Dragons), then yes. 48 units IS a small production run. Even the 90HAMs were mass-produced in comparison.
post #39 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 06:38 PM
Vendor

Not compared to a Gear, and the chipping I'm talking about was at the edges of the design in the top itself, not edge chipping. There has been plenty on all 3 Gears I've inspected
post #40 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 06:42 PM

A pity you didn't get a chance to inspect my GEAR then

Wait...is this by your "micro-inspection"? I'm sure that with a microscope of comparable magnification device, it would be possible to see chipping on even the finest of finishes. LOL
post #41 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 06:43 PM
Vendor

I'm sure yours was perfect
post #42 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
I'm sure yours was perfect
Nah...no guitar that has any ammount of HAND FINISHING is perfect. That would mean that a perfect being would have had to have done the hand finishing, and no such being exists. The little imperfections are what makes them special.
post #43 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 08:16 PM
Vendor

Darren, step forward and claim the boobie prize!!

Each one is masked with friskit and cut by hand with the aid of a master stencil, then the colors are applied with a lacquer gun. One color at a time.

[no mention on how the burn/impressed outlines were achieved, or that they exist]

[prize to be determined by the size of the boobie available]
post #44 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 08:27 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
all this debate over perhaps the ugliest J-C created yet ...glen
post #45 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
all this debate over perhaps the ugliest J-C created yet ...glen
LOL Yet another opinion thrown into the ring! I'm sorry Glen, but that's an off-topic comment. You're grounded!
Closed Thread

Tags
custom models , darren wilson , flamed maple , neck pockets , production model

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode