What technology was used for drawing figures on ART1&JPM - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

What technology was used for drawing figures on ART1&JPM

Does anybody know, what technology was used for drawing figures on RG-ART1 and JPM90-HAM?

I think, that a thin transparent piece of fabric with a pattern was placed under the layer of lacquer.

Ruslan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 03:25 PM

I think it was just done with wood stains over flamed maple...no fabric.
Greg
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 03:37 PM

Upon inspecting the ART I had, it looked like the designs were actually etched/burnt into the top, then the stains were applied accordingly (by hand of course)
post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 03:38 PM
Vendor

Same thing with a 90th, but I'm betting it's still silkscreened stain, not hand stained
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 03:42 PM

Of the (2) ARTs that I've had a good ammount of hands-on time with, I've seen numerous spots of bleeding in the stain, which led me to believe that it was done by hand. I've only messed with a few JPM90HAMs, but havent seen any such bleeding on them. I'm sure that with as many 90HAMs as were made, they'd do whatever they could to speed up the process, but...the ARTs still seem to have a bit more of a "human touch" (at least from my personal experience)
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 03:45 PM
Vendor

With as many Art's as they made I assume the same, silksceen. There's bleeding in the 90th's too
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 03:47 PM

Ya know what they say about assuming... (except leave the "me" part out of it, since I'm NOT assuming anything LOL )

Only Ibanez knows for sure, and we all know how forthcoming THEY are with details
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 03:48 PM

I would imagine the solid-colour JPMs are silkscreened, but the transparent ones are probably applied by hand, likely using templates. You need really thick inks to silkscreen, so unless the dyes are suspended in some kind of thick gel medium, they probably have to be brushed on. A watery stain just wouldn't work in silkscreening.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 03:53 PM
Vendor

I'm not assuming anything, I've micro inspected both to determine the same answer. Silkscreen. I could be wrong, but I doubt it. Nobody sat around painiting by numbers on over 500 guitars. It's a factory, they look for "factory" methods to produce. The solid color JP's are silkscreened on paper and the paper glued on.
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
With as many Art's as they made I assume the same, silksceen. There's bleeding in the 90th's too
Ummm...by saying "...I assume", you are, in fact, assuming something

And I think it's pretty safe to say that there are nowhere NEAR over 500 RG-ARTs. It would make sense that they would try to devise some sort of simplified technique for a large-scale production such as the JPM90s. But if the ARTs were the testing ground for the JPMs, then it would make more sense that perhaps they WERE done by hand. At least to a greater degree than the production model JPM90s. Of course, again...only Ibanez knows for sure.
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 04:03 PM
Vendor

I "assumed" they looked for the same time savings as on the JP's, that's all I assumed. The proof is in the pudding, under micro inspection, there is no difference in the technique used on either. Nuff Said?
post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 04:10 PM

'Nuff said...as a basis for one hypothesis. Unfortunately, theories are all that we have.

Regardless, as far as the original question is concerned, it's quite obvious that there was no "thin transparent piece of fabric with a pattern" placed under the lacquer. The designs were either transferred via silkscreening or stained by hand. Either way, the stain is actually applied to the wood- it's not a pre-printed and colored design.
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 04:14 PM
Vendor

It's a little more than theory since we KNOW they never hand painted the stain onto 500 90th's
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 04:15 PM

I seem to remember somebody with an ART describing the pattern looking like it was drawn very lightly on the wood with pencil underneath the stain.

There are ways to mask and fill areas with stain rather than silkscreening. Another theory might be that they cut pieces of frisket (airbrush masking film) on a plotter and used those to mask the areas while the stain was applied.

I've never heard of stain being applied with silkscreens. You need VERY viscous inks for the screen material to hold back the colour until the squeegee is dragged across the screen. Stains would flow through a silkscreen like a sieve unless they were thickened to the consistency of tar.
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 04:16 PM

That takes care of the production-model JPM90HAMs. But it doesn't prove as an absolute that the same is true for the RG-ARTs.
Closed Thread

Tags
custom models , darren wilson , flamed maple , neck pockets , production model

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode