What would you buy for $700-900? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 04:57 AM Thread Starter

What would you buy for $700-900?

So heres the deal, I have recently acquired enough dough to buy a guitar for myself. I currently own one guitar. A low end RG. I've put a lot of hard work into it and upgraded everything from electronics to tuners and she's my baby and I wont sell her. But Its about time I find her a friend.

I have a solid 600 to spend but I can add as much as 300 if its the right guitar.

I know there are a lot of these types of threads but I am really in need of some advice.

I'm open to basically anything, but I'd prefer something built in USA or of similar quality. Essentially I'm looking for a NICE guitar. well... as nice as I can buy with what I got.

So far I've played around on a few strats and teles and les pauls.

At first I saw an american strat priced at 700 so I grabbed it and plugged it in. Let me tell you I've heard far better squires. I immediately put that thing back. Next I grabbed a mexico telecaster and it was a good breath of fresh fender after the strat. Then my pops grabbed me another american strat priced at 800. I think it was a strat special or something. Anyway when I plugged her in it was the classic strat tone with a nice humbucker in the bridge just the way I love em. Fat and twangy all in one. Only thing is, It was in an all black finish, and for some reason I've never liked black guitars. Why couldn't it be a burst... Any color but black... I've also played a few gibby pauls and I've taken quite a liking to them. love the tone, love the feel, It's like, when you play one it makes you feel warm or something. I like playing mostly rock n roll, and a bit of clean classy stuff. I'm not a huge metal head, but I sometimes venture around to learn whatever sounds cool.

Well as you can see. It looks like I'm in one hell of a tough spot because I don't know what I want and I dont want to regret dropping a grand on junk.
Anyway I was hoping people could tell me about their recommendations and their favorite $7-900 picks.

Thanks! I look forward to your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 09:32 AM

Re: What would you buy for $700-900?

I picked up a 1 month old Les Paul Studio for about 500 and some change and LOVE it. It has Burstbucker Pro pickups and plays and sounds fantastic.
It is a hell of a bargain for the price.

I also picked up a mint condition Fender Telecaster Limited Edition FMT HH recently for around 400 and really like it too.

It has a set neck, flame maple top and a set of Seymour Duncan JB and reverse polarity 59 pickups.

Personally I would lean more towards the Gibson if resale value is a consideration.
20 years from now when I am long gone it will still be worth at least what I paid for it.

Either one will keep your RG warm at night
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 10:21 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

The best way to find "your" guitar, is to keep trying them out until you find it. Nobody here can advise what is best for you--especially since your taste seems to run from one end of the spectrum to the other. Be patient, and just keep looking until you find one that feels and sounds right.

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 10:38 AM

Reviews: 18

Personally, if it was me, I would find an old square heel RG, like a 550 or something. They are good quality and MIJ with the original Wizard and Edge. Unless you don't want another RG.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 11:03 AM

If you can find one, check out an Ibanez RGA.
It was my first "upgrade" and at the time i was in your same situation.

It has infinite tone and being a prestige model, it's built exceptionally.
It has a wonderful Gilbralter bridge with lots of sustain as well.

I've never regretted it and I'll never sell it either.

Good luck!

Peace.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 01:05 PM

I just saw a Ibanez Jem FP go for 900$.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 01:28 PM

Jackson DK2S, great neck, great pickups and the Sustainiac is more fun than a barrel full of monkeys. Brand new - $799 with a great case.

I've had no setup issues and fine fret work on two of these, out of the box.

Yeah, I'm an Ibanez guy playing Jacksons.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 04:02 PM

You should be able to get a USA Soloist for 900 in a plain color with case, but there are so many options on guitars at that price point it's insane. You could get almost anything by Carvin as well, tons of Ibanezes.... a few of almost any brand you could name.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
So heres the deal, I have recently acquired enough dough to buy a guitar for myself. I currently own one guitar. A low end RG. I've put a lot of hard work into it and upgraded everything from electronics to tuners and she's my baby and I wont sell her. But Its about time I find her a friend.

I have a solid 600 to spend but I can add as much as 300 if its the right guitar.

I know there are a lot of these types of threads but I am really in need of some advice.

I'm open to basically anything, but I'd prefer something built in USA or of similar quality. Essentially I'm looking for a NICE guitar. well... as nice as I can buy with what I got.

At first I saw an american strat priced at 700 so I grabbed it and plugged it in. Let me tell you I've heard far better squires. I immediately put that thing back. Next I grabbed a mexico telecaster and it was a good breath of fresh fender after the strat. Then my pops grabbed me another american strat priced at 800. I think it was a strat special or something. Anyway when I plugged her in it was the classic strat tone with a nice humbucker in the bridge just the way I love em. Fat and twangy all in one. Only thing is, It was in an all black finish, and for some reason I've never liked black guitars. Why couldn't it be a burst... Any color but black... I've also played a few gibby pauls and I've taken quite a liking to them. love the tone, love the feel, It's like, when you play one it makes you feel warm or something. I like playing mostly rock n roll, and a bit of clean classy stuff. I'm not a huge metal head, but I sometimes venture around to learn whatever sounds cool.

Well as you can see. It looks like I'm in one hell of a tough spot because I don't know what I want and I dont want to regret dropping a grand on junk.
Anyway I was hoping people could tell me about their recommendations and their favorite $7-900 picks.

I suggest it's NOT time to get a new guitar! I suggest you save a bit more and get something a little higher quality and broaden your choices. For 600 bucks you're not going to get anything much better than your upgraded RG, so why not sit tight for a while until you have more choice of higher quality guitars?
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 10:11 PM

I'd get a USA Charvel. Or I'd build a custom guitar . . .

Edit: Now that I think of it - you should decide what specs you want your guitar to have, and then find one that has 'em. I'm sure you can get something close for that price.
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 10:45 PM

7-9 hookers or 14-18 midget hookers
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post

LP Studio, STrats (customized and stock)
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcdonaldva1 View Post
I picked up a 1 month old Les Paul Studio for about 500 and some change and LOVE it. It has Burstbucker Pro pickups and plays and sounds fantastic.
It is a hell of a bargain for the price.

I also picked up a mint condition Fender Telecaster Limited Edition FMT HH recently for around 400 and really like it too.

It has a set neck, flame maple top and a set of Seymour Duncan JB and reverse polarity 59 pickups.

Personally I would lean more towards the Gibson if resale value is a consideration.
20 years from now when I am long gone it will still be worth at least what I paid for it.

Either one will keep your RG warm at night
That tele is beautiful!

OP, get one of those!
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 08:35 AM

Reviews: 4

Dean Rusty Cooley 7.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 03:03 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam-Vai View Post
Dean Rusty Cooley 7.
Don't know if you noticed, but that kind of guitar is a pretty silly suggestion to offer to someone who has a sub 1000 dollar budget and is looking at gibsons and fenders.

Tags
ibby rg , les paul , new guitar , strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

fender blackie
fender wolfgang
fender dive
24fret Fender

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode