what would you do??? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
what would you do???

Although I'm primarily an Ibanez player - best necks for my hands - I have a Jackson SL2H soloist that I just bought new a few years ago. While I absolutely love how it looks and sounds,,,the thick neck often makes my hand hurt after playing it for a while. I was looking into having a luthier remove the paint from and shave down the neck a bit to be more like a Jackson DK or speed neck. But,,on a $2000 guitar, it would rip the value on it should I ever want to sell it. Yet, it could also make the guitar much more usable to me. What would you do? Sell it for yet another Ibanez, or mod it to make it suit you? Advice? I've been agonizing over this for a long time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 05:16 PM

Reviews: 11
Re: what would you do???

Modding is for cheap guitars or reversible effects. You should probably just get a new guitar you like instead of ruining the one you have.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 05:16 PM

Reviews: 10

Tough call but I think you are inviting headaches...plus like you say it may affect the value of the guitar...I would sell it and move on...

imho, the neck is the most important part of the guitar because I think you really have to connect with the neck to fall in love with a particular guitar so if the neck isn't doing it for you - or worse creating pain and potential RSI injury for you - then I would sell it and move on... the fact that you're thinking about it kind of says that you're unhappy with it...I'm sure others will disagree but if you're asking me what I would do - that's what I would do...kinda like girls - there are lots of others out there that I'm sure you can fall in love with...just an opinion...
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 05:17 PM

Are you sure after you have a luthier remove the paint from and shave down the neck a bit to be more like a Jackson DK. That you will like it? If not dont do it.You are better off selling it and buying something you know for sure that you will like. Especially since its a 2K guitar if it were $500 buck guitar you could shave away.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 06:44 PM

Reviews: 120

Sorry for not knowing, but is it a neck through or bolt on? If it's a bolt on just buy a new neck from Warmoth, etc built to your specs. If you decide to sell the guitar put the stock one back on.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpraider69 View Post
Are you sure after you have a luthier remove the paint from and shave down the neck a bit to be more like a Jackson DK. That you will like it? If not dont do it.You are better off selling it and buying something you know for sure that you will like. Especially since its a 2K guitar if it were $500 buck guitar you could shave away.
Regardless of the money, it's a case of whether the irreversible mod will improve the guitar to the extent you will use it...

Soloist vs Dinky, Bolt on vs Neck Through, Painted vs Natural finish...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 08:28 PM

Reviews: 57

If I liked the guitar enough, I'd do pretty much anything to it to make it better for me. Resale be damned.

Though, getting a replacement neck with the specs you desire would be the safest option, and probably not a whole lot more than a luthier would want to charge for reshaping. I guess you can't do that easily though with a soloist.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2

Thanks for the replies. I've always wanted a Jackson since I was a little kid, but the way they make them now,,,they are not the slim necked shred machines my guitar heroes used to play. The modern soloist necks are pretty thick,,,and the part that is hardest for me in how round the neck is for roughly the first 8-10 frets......meaning at the edge of the fretboard, it sort of curves out and rounds out, like a C shape only more like if you cut this zero ( 0 ) in half vertically. I used to have a DK1 USA Jackson, and that had an amazing neck, much thinner and without this rounding effect,,,and I loved it as much as my Jems. Problem was, it was a 1997 DK1 with only 22 frets and a terrible bulky neck heel that was hard to work around. I tried a modern DK1 with 24 frets, and it had the same wonderful DK neck,,but the same terrible heel that I didn't dig. I sure don't want to spend 3K on a custom shop Jackson to get just a slightly different neck shape for the first part of the neck,,,but I know I will probably be kicking myself if I sell this guitar, most likely for way less than I bought it,,,,knowing I was probably close to the perfect Jackson if I'd just take a risk on the neck. I'm not talking trying to turn it into an Ibanez wizard neck or anything,,,,but just to get the profile close to what those wonderful DK1's were. Past the 12th fret on this soloist, I love it. It's just the first part of the neck.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 08:01 AM

Reviews: 11

we call a cut in half 0 a "D"
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 09:17 AM

Loose it,whats the point if you can't play it. Get yourself something you like.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 10:49 AM

Just be aware that shaving your neck and reshaping the heel can have an influence on the sound of your guitar. (good or bad)

the thing is you dont know the outcome when having the neck shaved, what makes it a big gamble.

It can turn out to be your dream axe or your worst nighmare.

IMO if i liked that guitar "that" much,i would do it ,and taken the gamble.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 04:45 PM

It might be a $2000 guitar new, but they sell used all day for less than half that. I wouldn't mod it unless you want to drop that value to about $600 or so. If you don't like the thicker neck, sell it and buy a '90 Soloist Professional. Those have the thinner necks you're looking for.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 08:16 PM

I'd have to jump on the wagon and agree...though that would be awesome if you pulled it off

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode