what is YOUR favorite prestige/j-custom/usa ibanez? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 84 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

what is YOUR favorite prestige/j-custom/usa ibanez?

all i am asking for is your top 3 with a brief description.

1: rgt3120: finally, a neck thru that is in production while i am able to buy one. mahogany and dual hums, killer!

2: rggear: never touched one, never even seen it in real life, but good that is one smooth guitar.

3: s1520bp: simple and effective, like a dagger to the throat. killer aesthetics and neck from hell.

rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 11:31 PM

Hmm... tough call...

1. RG1880-BGS J-Custom -- Best neck I've EVER played--super thick 5-piece neck with flame maple binding. Great tone--the combination of maple on mahogany + direct-mounted Dimarzios (Air Norton / Blue Velvet / Tone Zone) is amazing. Very unique green sunburst finish, too!

2. RG-ART J-Custom -- Great neck, great tone (maple on basswood, Air Norton / Tone Zone), but look at that finish... it's [email protected]#$in' amazing. Pictures don't do it justice.

3. RG7-CTVV Prestige -- Okay, normally I would've voted for the RG3120 (since I have 2 of them), but this guitar is basically a seven string 3120 with a couple tweaks. The attention to detail (ebony headstock overlay, tortoiseshell electronic cavity covers, killer vintage violin finish) puts it over the top. The tone, thanks to the PAF7 / Tone Zone 7 is even smoother than the original 3120's. And, best of all, it has 7 strings!

(And if I could pick a fourth, it'd have to be this.)

--B
post #3 of 84 (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 01:17 AM

RG3120: The ToneZone / PAF Pro in a mahogany / maple body combination was genius. This guitar is a Strat and Les Paul killer.
post #4 of 84 (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 02:49 AM

1. RG-1880 BBS J-custom Everything Brent said but mine is blue. I think I actually like the green better, but green was no longer a option when I got mine. I can't mention enough that these are just great guitars one of the best guitars I have ever played or owned.

2. USRG30 I have two of these ands just love them to death. Great look and a sound like no other ibanez. I'm not saying better or worse just very different. These guitar are some of the cleanest sounding guitars I've ever heard. And the tension free neck is built like a tank.

3. Any other j-custom at all never played a bad one and have played a good number of them.
post #5 of 84 (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 11:13 AM

JCRG-21A.

The 'prototype' for the RGT-3120 + a roland GK pup. I can use my VG-8, GI-10 and regular rack all from one, mahogany/maple neckthru RG. My dream came true....
post #6 of 84 (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 07:10 PM

1. 1992 USA Custom (UCEWFM-NT) - Killer guitar!! Thick natural colored flamed maple top with mahogany body, rosewood fretboard with abalone dot inlay and I belive it has a birdseye maple neck. Replaced the PAF in the bridge with a Duncan Custom.

2. RGT3120 TP - I used to have an American Master and absolutely loved that guitar (shoot me for selling it!!), the RGT is the closest thing I could find to it and I believe is just as good. I'm sure everyone knows the specs on the RGT, I did replace the bridge PAF with and Duncan Dimebucker and this guitar screams!!
post #7 of 84 (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 03:37 AM

RG1077XL
i would love to have this one!
post #8 of 84 (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 04:40 AM

My favorite?

Hmmm....really tough call.
:-)
post #9 of 84 (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 07:01 AM

Kevan, you are a sick man...

BTW, it's the RG3120. Why...'cause it's the best one I have...
post #10 of 84 (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 07:49 AM
dex

Ok Brent and Kevan..........you are mean, dudes.

Mean..........mean............mean......

What's the point picking up one, whe they are all soooo pretty.
post #11 of 84 (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 10:10 AM

1) RG-GEAR: it rules. Killer tone, killer looks, killer feel. Plus, it always gets looks onstage

2) RG-ART: while also ruling most definitely, it also garners quite a bit of attention at gigs. Plays and sound great too!

3) RG-ARCH: (see above)
post #12 of 84 (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan
My favorite?

Hmmm....really tough call.
:-)
Kevan, there is nothing that i could say to you that wouldn't get me banned that would do proper justice to my current feelings for you. You are a sick, sick man.

(i'll take that all back if you give me that 7. )

-Drew

PS- iu'm in love with my 2027; i can only imagine what the rest of the prestige/j-custom line must be like.
post #13 of 84 (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 12:46 PM

I really really want an RG1077XL BK. And the RG8527 DBK is a beauty.
post #14 of 84 (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 02:32 PM

The question is too difficult, ...but I'll pick from three that I have.

RGPR-1 "TX Prestige" - Natural flame, cream pups and binding, Ultra neck, ebony fretboard. Closest cousin might be the 1880. The other TX models are outstanding as well.

USRG30 - For similar reasons Gary mentioned above. Still getting to know this one, but it really does have a distinctive feel & tone.

RG7-CT - I'll climb on board with Brent on this one. I'm really not a 7-string guy, but this feels more comfortable everyday (it's a rosewood lam on the headstock, no?). The 8527 I no longer have may have an edge on this one with the bound fretboard, angled jack, and front mount nut.

Well, that's for RGs, as for S models...
Greg
post #15 of 84 (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 02:40 PM

I love the RG7-CTVV! Oh and Kevin, you should know that your photo just became my computer's wallpaper.

You're SO mean!

Tags
air norton , angled jack , birdseye maple neck , cavity cover , dot inlay , ebony fretboard , flame maple , flame maple binding , flamed maple , fretless guitar , headstock overlay , killer guitar , les paul , mahogany body , maple binding , maple neck , neck thru , paf pro , rosewood fretboard , sounding guitar , sunburst finish , texas prestige , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode