What are your opinions on the Talman? - and by the way... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2002, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

What are your opinions on the Talman? - and by the way...

Greeting all,

Just bought a used Talman with a nice sunburst and the 3 lipstick pickups. My reason for purchase was the fact that the guitar is ,in my opinion, a beautiful example of the line, and the price was real cheap. It will be the first in my collection. Time will tell if it will also be the last or not.
So I have a few questions about these guys,
1: How is a lipstick pickup different than a regular single or humbucking pickup, in terms of tone and design?
2: Does anyone know the neck specs? ie. radius, scale length, mm measurments etc.....
3: If i decide the pickups suck, where can i find replacements that sound good and will maintain the stock appearance?
4: And lastly, if any of you guys have any experience with these little animals, i will be glad to hear your opinions. good or bad.

Many thanks,
Chadwick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2002, 08:54 PM

What are your opinions on the Talman?

I used to own a Korean TC630 - which I prefer to the Japanese model, because I prefer the Ash bodies to the "gravure" composite bodies of the Japanese-made models... I also owned a couple of TC620's - there's a page on my site about them:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/jimi_d/guitars/gone/tc620.htm

I kind of miss my Talmans (like I kind of miss my Maxxas, my 770DX and my RBM1)... I used to feel compelled to move guitars when I had more than 10 or so in my collection for fear that I wouldn't use/maintain them all, but I've recently decided that I should hold on to some guitars for sentimental reasons whether I'm playing them or not!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2002, 09:22 PM

the Talman was what i had in mind for an ash-bodied guitar, after i tried one in the store i was impressed. however, i procrastinated until it was discontinued, i'm still thinking of whether to purchase an alternative- an ash-bodied Fender instead...
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2002, 09:16 AM

I think Talmans are cool guitars...even though I'm not a glitter guy, I like the silver one with Bigsby. *As for lipstick pups, I don't have any experience with them, other than playing a guitar with them ocassioanlly. *Check the SD and Dimarzio websites for replacements.

Jimi...interesting info, I knew the older ones were composite, but didn't realize that the Korean ones were ash. Goes to show ya, Korea's on the rise when it comes to guitars.
Greg
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2002, 01:20 PM

Reviews: 5

During the early 90's when grunge was huge, the Talman was kind of like Ibanez's version of the Fender Mustang. *I like the design and was always torn between a Talman and a Surfcaster. *In the end, it was discontinued and I bought a Washburn that looked just like it. *Then I sold the Washburn, bought a JEM and lived happily ever after.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2002, 11:47 AM

wasnt the talman an acoustic? O.o

Tags
humbucking pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode