What are your thoughts on the value of boutique guitars? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2003, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

What are your thoughts on the value of boutique guitars?

I was having a conversation today with a coworker about guitars and he kept saying that if I play my Ibanez Universe next to a Tom Anderson, I'll think the Tom Anderson blows the Universe away. I had to disagree with him for a number of reasons. First I will sy that I I have played around 5 Tom Andersons in my life and there is only one I would have bought. And it was used for around $1500. But I honestly feel that Ibanez guitars play just as good. Not all but the competitive ones like the Prestige and J-Customs. That's just my personal opinion. I also feel that Tom Anderson makes a Strat. A very nice strat, but still a strat. I don't believe it's every guitar in one and whatever else I have heard people say. If I was spending that kind of money I would buy a Conklin or a complete custom guitar from a private builder. Now I just posted this to have a discussion and hear what other people think about really high end guitars? Do you guys just judge a guitar by the price tag or how you personally think it's worth? I'm just curious, so let's talk about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 12:20 AM

This is a pointless thread. A guitar...ANY guitar...is worth whatever an individual wishes to pay for it. ANY opinion on a guitar's quality/value is merely that: an opinion.

It all comes down to personal preference and nothing more. It's all ice cream.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

I suppose your right. I probably just got sick of people taking their own opinion as fact or something and felt I needed to say something about it. Oh well, I will try to keep vaijem777 mindset and ignore my coworkers opinions.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 01:21 PM

The bottom line is this: if YOU like a particular guitar, that's all that matters. If you get enjoyment from it, then that's the most important thing.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Now that I think of it, I still would like to know other people's opinions on boutique guitars. Because I just want to hear different point of views and find out why people think what.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 06:36 AM

i think that many ppl goes by the price tag: if it's not expensive, THEN it's crap.
i personally played many cheap guitars, and the most of them weren't worst then many high-end guitars i've played.

the matters are the neck fitting your hand well, then some good pickups and decent hardware. all the rest is secondary.

i would never get an Anderson or whatever like that even if i had the money.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 12:03 PM

maybe a stupid question but how much cost an Anderson guitar in general?
Comparing to gibson prices?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 09:06 AM

Reviews: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemke
maybe a stupid question but how much cost an Anderson guitar in general?
Comparing to gibson prices?
Andersons usually go for $2-4k I believe. Depending on body style, options, top/finish. Mine was like $3100 originally, but I bought it used for considerably less.

Personally I think a TA is a better guitar than an Ibanez... and guess what, that's me. I could name all the reasons in the world why it's built better, but if it doesn't play right to you, who cares?

There are obviously ripoffs in the guitar world, but if you like a guitar and are willing to pay what someone is asking, then the price is justified.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 10:19 PM

Well, I'm not the biggest Ibanez fan you'll find in the world, but I've been quite a supporter of them for years and years. I currently have 5 of them and have had UVs, Prestiges, JPMs, Talmans etc.

With that disclaimer out of the way , I'll admit that I recently placed an order for an Anderson. I've played a few now and finally settled on a Drop Top H-S-S with a Floyd and a gorgeous finish. I fully anticipate the guitar coming to me FLAWLESS. And since you were asking about why people go after boutique guitars, this is one reason for me personally. If there is something, anything wrong, it'll go back. With brand new Ibanez guitars, I've just accepted flaws and had to get them fixed, especially knowing about Ibanez customer-no-service. I still liked my Ibanez guitars, but I had to have BRAND NEW guitars worked on for uneven frets and bad electronics. That shouldn't happen to expensive, high-end Ibanez guitars, but it's happened to me several times. That's why I reccommend Rich to people, cause I know they'll come perfect to you. But in any case, with an Anderson, you can be certain that the neck and fretwork will be mind-boggling - at least they have been to me.

Anyhow, it's going to have stainless steel frets and a beautiful quilt top, plus tons of pickup possibilities with their "switcheroos". I don't think I got a bad price at all for something that I know will be immaculate and perfectly set up out of the box. The Andersons I have played have played themselves and had action better than many Ibanez I've had. But that's not to say that it's the right guitar for every situation, and that's why I'll keep some Ibanez and my EBs. I'm just dying for it to arrive though because playing the ones in the store got me so psyched.

Paul
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 04:36 AM

Our local guitar guy got himself a Drop Top Classic in Bora Bora blue about half a year ago. It sounds and plays OK but it looks a bit tacky. The darn thing cost him 3600 euros, that's near 4k in bucks.
I ordered myself a Vigier Excalibur...still have to wait for 3 months or so. Less tacky features, less cost, better guitar even still.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 06:23 AM

I am shure that the quality control on a Anderson is much higher than on any ibanez.

High end guitars are ofcource made out of better parts and wood. but this does not mean realy more expensive parts IMO. A Dimarzio doesn't cost more than a pickup with no brand on it. The wood is the most expensive imo.

The price difference lies in the quality control by well trained people.
The hardest thing in a production area is to maintain a constant level of quality.
The higher the production rate, the more difficult it will become to get the highest quality level.
I know what I am talking about

In the tom anderson case, we are not talking about a big 'ibanez-like' factory that builds at a rate of 10000 guitars a day

So you get what you pay for.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 07:37 AM

Reviews: 3
Jemke, certainly so. Anderson (at least when I got mine) builds 3 guitars a day. One in the morning, afternoon, evening. They are all marked accordingly by time/date. All hand made, very choice woods (no Home Depot basswood). Many of the hardware items are just name brands, so it's not like they are made of solid gold or anything like that. They do wind their own pickups, and people have put a lot of value on them. However, that really isn't going to drive up the price too much.

It really is in the quality control. It is hard to find a production ELECTRIC model guitar that was hand made and so carefully looked over.

The guys over there are real cool too, I found out they get all their gorgeous stains from a shop about 5-10 miles from my house too!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
I think your average Anderson is far better than your average Ibanez. If all my gear got stolen and I needed one superb guitar for a gig that night, then Anderson is where I'd look.

Touch wood that's not gonna happen and as it is I've got a rather nice stable of Ibanez guitars that I've hand selected over the last decade, all of which have now had pretty much all the niggles sorted out.

I've always said that when I find something that's better for me than the guitars I play regularly, then I'll switch. I've still not found anything better than my three or four regulars. Ironically my main player is also perhaps my cheapest guitar!!! I like it ... because it's red
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2003, 12:21 PM

Don't you have the need for more different guitars? Depending on my mood, I'll pick up my strat and another day I pick up my ibanez.
When I pick up the wrong guitar I hate them.

If I pick up my strat on a 'ibanez-day' I hate the noisy fenders and the neck and vice versa.

I think I couldn't live with just one guitar.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2003, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Not really, I tend to find that most of the music I want to play sounds great on one of the guitars I've got. I mainly tend to play along to CDs nowadays, just for fun, so usually want to sound similar to what I'm trying to play along to.

Tags
custom guitar , ibanez guitars , stainless steel frets , steel frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode