What's the best Acoustic Youve Played? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 05:32 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 4
What's the best Acoustic Youve Played?

I have a huge need and want for an easy to play acoustic, price doesn't really bother me. I was just wondering what acoustics feel the best to play from your opinion.

Thanks, Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 06:40 AM

Re: What's the best Acoustic Youve Played?

Hey man,

although an unknown brand, Freshman make some awesome instruments. They are well priced and I've used some electrics that dont play as well as them! Check them out...

http://www.freshmanguitars.co.uk/products-all-price.asp

Chris
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 07:11 AM

Reviews: 1

That's easy - Ovation Adamas W597. It plays like butter and adjust the action at the bridge is so easy. You just loosen the strings, lift up the saddle and add or remove shims. The top, which is made from carbon graphite, is incredibly responsive and dynamic because it's thinner than a traditional wood top. I love mine and wouldn't sell it for the world.
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 10:51 AM

They're not produced anymore, but Agile's EP1 Tree of Life acoustic was the best I ever played. Great feeling neck, gorgeous inlay work, beautiful woods. I think it was like $370 when it was sold but I got a mint one online with a Martin case for $200 shipped. I really regret selling that guitar but I just couldn't get into acoustic at the time . If i ever see one for sale I'm 100% pulling the trigger.

Edit: this was the one, no longer available:

http://www.rondomusic.com/ep1acoele.html
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Taylor 900 series.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 12:49 PM

I love my Maton EBG808 TE. Tommy Emmanual Signature guitar.
Great sound but plugged in nothing can touch it.
the APMic is the finest pickup setup I have ever
used. Makes fishman sound like a cup and string.
There are alot of guitars that cost more and could sound
better acoustically but this one is perfect for me. Plus
Tommy Emmanual designed this one and he won't leave
home without it.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 02:17 PM
Banned

in the 15 years ive been playing guitar ive never owned a acoustic guitar.i love to hear a good acoustic strumming away but ive never fancied 1.a mate of mine has a andy manson acoustic very rare it is aswell,sounds really nice maybe you should check andy manson acoustics out,weather or not he still makes them i havent a clue but 1 of the lads here will know for deffo.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 03:27 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 4

I'm just about to check these out, does anyone have anything to say about Ovations? They look good to me but the Huge body with a bubbly back is weird.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 06:59 AM

I used to have a Taylor 710 that was the best I ever played, loved that guitar but times change ya' know. However, the best I ever heard was Phil Keaggy's Olson small jumbo. I saw him play like a a cafe style gig and was able to really hear the tone. Amazing, amazing stuff from those guitars. But expensive and rare for sure.

And as far as Ovations, in my opinion, just opinion here: I think they only sound like string, no wood. They are loud and it's not an ugly sound but to me just like a big string sound not much color to the tone, even the expensive ones. They are good for live apps for their abilities acoustic-electrically and without a tone of feedback and so on, but as far as tone. For me they just don't have a lot.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 07:24 AM
Contributor

All decent options IMHO. From a 'easy-to-play' standpoint some brands are more friendly to electric players.

Ovation made their mark in the 70's and 80's beacuse you can set them up to play and feel like an electric.

Taylor guitars are also very playable but they are in a different price range. They probably have the best factory pickup system too.

I'm a huge Martin fan, but you really need hand strength as the string tension is greater than other manufacturers - but the sound of a Martin Dred is considered by most as the best out there.

Gibson makes a decent acoustic in the SJ-200, Hummingbird and Dove models.

You gotta go and play a bunch to find the one that works for you.

~j
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 07:48 AM

Larrivee. It's all subjective of course, but I think Larrivees deliver the right range. Nice high end and low end. Some acoustics seem to only get one end right.

I've played some Taylors and Martins that cost twice what my Larrivee did (about $700) that don't sound as good to me. That's not to say they don't make great guitars, because Taylor and Martin both make some fine instruments. A friend of mine had a Breedlove acoustic that was awesome too.

For acoustics you really have to play a lot of them to find what you like in my opinion. There are subtle differences even between like models.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 08:03 AM

If money wasn't an concern then I would get a Ryan Nightingale guitar. Amazing guitar but the prices tend to be close to the $10k mark. But they sound amazing.

Here is a Demo of one that I found on youtube. The player isn't so great but you can really hear just how good the guitar sounds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFeEh...e=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz-Z3...e=channel_page

there is one on the bay for $10k item # 300342899015
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 09:12 AM

If you're looking for budget, I can't more highly recommend anything than a Yamaha. That's what I play now. I love it.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 09:30 AM

Takamines make a nice mix between affordability and quality.

My friends Dad owns a Gibson Hummingbird, and I think its the best acoustic I've ever played. Wonderfully comfortable for an acoustic, and the tone is warm and rich. Pricey guitars though..
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 10:57 PM

D'Angelico New Yorker

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode