What's the deal with Ibanez? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
What's the deal with Ibanez?

Just wanted to share something and maybe get some thoughts. We had a customer appreciation day at our local Ibanez dealer today. They carry Fender, ESP, Schecter, Jackson and Ibanez. Years ago this used to be the store to go to. I have been checking them out lately (since last fall) and they had only 4 solid body guitars. 2 prestiges (an unfinished and a silver with rough finish) and a RGT42 and an expensive Satriani harddtail. They sold the 2 prestiges since then. They did get in a black 7 string RG. But that's it. I've been bugging them about their selection for a while now with no luck. They have tons of Schecters and ESP's and around 10 Jacksons. Finally today I talked to the owner and he was VERY unhappy with Ibanez and that's why he's not ordering from them. He said multiple things have been going on with them. Mainly for repairs it takes literally months to get parts in and lately quality sucks. The store has 15 acoustics that need returned due to twisted necks. I'm sure the China and Indonesia moves don't help matters much. I'm not asking to fill the store with JEMS and J-Crafts but a few RG's and S's would be nice to at least try out. I certainly hope Ibanez can get their @$%& together sometime soon. I know there's got to be other loyal Ibanez players that are getting discouraged or is it just me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 08:27 PM

Re: What's the deal with Ibanez?

Agreed. I know a store like that. They have about 10 Ibanez's but, they would sell a LP Custom a lot faster then those Ibby's. But they don't carry Fender....oh well. The Ibanez's don't move fast unless its a RG350 at Christmas.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 08:50 PM

yep, we carry ibanez and they move ok. we sell quite a few starter packs. The big mover is LTD we sell every new LTD we get in. We got a mh-250nt i sold it in 4 days, we got a viper 401fm sold in 6 days.

but yep we have an rg1570 that has sat there for over a year and not many people play it, we also have an rg770 reissue in blue, every one plays it but it hasn't sold.

but yeah we havn't carried any 7 string guitars in over 3 years so i am getting them to order an rg7321 to see if it will sell. I think it will simply because we have a lot of metal kids come in and 399 is in thier range
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 09:08 PM

Wow, in some ways I feel like "here we go again, another thread bashing [insert guitar manufacturer name here]." I guess this stuff will never stop. And yet I feel compelled to post.

It's tough for a large manufacturer to put out consistent quality year in and year out, especially when they outsource some or all of their production. The discerning buyer will learn the differences between, say, made-in-Japan v. made-in-Indonesia products.

I have never been really impressed with Ibanez acoustics, especially the lower-end models, but I love my RG550. A superb electric guitar.

I'd never pay $950 for a Mexican-made "Road Worn" Fender, but the Highway One series is American, un-dorked-up, and a relative bargain at $800-900. They sound good.

Ya know what I'm sayin'? We just have to look for those areas in a company lineup that really shine and avoid the ones where the problems are.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikey Mikey View Post
Ya know what I'm sayin'? We just have to look for those areas in a company lineup that really shine and avoid the ones where the problems are.
Great post Mikey. My only beef is that if Ibanez doesn't take care of issues on the lower end models , then they will destroy their base of customers.

They need to understand that a quality starter product, leads to purchasers of higer end gear later.

When some kid asks us , what is a good brand to start playing with, we should all be able to say "get an Ibanez".
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 12:08 PM

Reviews: 21

I would buy an RG350 over a Schecter or LTD any day of the week!
Japanese companies in general are in a tough bind over the yen. Ibanez is in that unsavory position of having to raise prices in a very tough economy.
The Yen hasn't been this low in 13 years, and that really says something!
Time for that US built RG!
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 01:08 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead52 View Post
Just wanted to share something and maybe get some thoughts. We had a customer appreciation day at our local Ibanez dealer today. They carry Fender, ESP, Schecter, Jackson and Ibanez. Years ago this used to be the store to go to. I have been checking them out lately (since last fall) and they had only 4 solid body guitars. 2 prestiges (an unfinished and a silver with rough finish) and a RGT42 and an expensive Satriani harddtail. They sold the 2 prestiges since then. They did get in a black 7 string RG. But that's it. I've been bugging them about their selection for a while now with no luck. They have tons of Schecters and ESP's and around 10 Jacksons. Finally today I talked to the owner and he was VERY unhappy with Ibanez and that's why he's not ordering from them. He said multiple things have been going on with them. Mainly for repairs it takes literally months to get parts in and lately quality sucks. The store has 15 acoustics that need returned due to twisted necks. I'm sure the China and Indonesia moves don't help matters much. I'm not asking to fill the store with JEMS and J-Crafts but a few RG's and S's would be nice to at least try out. I certainly hope Ibanez can get their @$%& together sometime soon. I know there's got to be other loyal Ibanez players that are getting discouraged or is it just me?
The problem lies with either his rep or him. These problems are dealt with right away, if they needed to be returned, he'd have an RA number and UPS would have picked them up. So whose is to blame? Not the distributor.

As for the slow delivery of parts, that's an issue HUSA is well aware of and the finger points to Japan. They order the parts, but Japan drops the ball on timely delivery. Parts supplies are devoted to new guitar manufacture first, then when enough are available, to distributor replacement parts needs. Add the delay of container shipping and the timeline can equal really poor response times to parts needs.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 02:17 PM

Reviews: 21

Rich is right. I've had HUSA on the phone personally and if it can be done in PA it's sorted out FAST! And I'm certainly nobody important!
I think ultimately it's the dealer and his decision whether or not to stock Ibanez. That's probably the rep's problem as well as he has to convince the dealer / store owner that he can move Ibanez guitars out the door. Maybe he genuinely doesn't move as many Ibanez guitars and doesn't want to order more. Or maybe he's making an emotional decision despite the numbers because he, personally, has a bone to pick with Ibanez. Or maybe he doesn't want to pay the new higher prices. Who knows?
Is there another store in your area? Lots of stores in my area are a bit thin on Ibanez guitars but some have more than others. The real question is if YOU want an Ibanez guitar, not the if the dealer wants one.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1

We do have a couple of dealers in town. One is not so good but the other is a Gibson and Dean dealer. Michael Angelo Batio did a free clinic there about a week and a half ago. Suprisingly they had 3 RG350DX and a RG350DXL. Also had a SZ model and a beautiful S470 in Flame Blue. A really nice guitar and almost identical to my S470QS but I would have a hard time dropping $650 on it with a MADE IN INDONESIA on the headstock. It may be built just fine but you know what I mean. My only gripe is you can't go into a store around here and at least play one a get a feel for it. Always hear "We can order whatever you want" but it would be nice to feel the guitar. I can't see dropping $1200 on something sight unseen. The only person I would trust for that would be Rich. He is an Ibanez GOD!
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 03:04 PM
Vendor

Nah, just another mope searching for enlightenment
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 04:29 PM

So I should call Hoshino Japan and yell at them to send my PGM401 to Rich to set up for me already?
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michblanch View Post
. . .

When some kid asks us , what is a good brand to start playing with, we should all be able to say "get an Ibanez".
I'd tell 'em to get an Artcore. wink wink

But seriously, amazing guitars for the money.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 12:16 PM

I love my ibanez but must agree their customer service is severly lacking at the moment. I just purchased my RG about a month ago now and aver a week ago i noticed to finish cracks on the body. I contacted the dealer and they were supost to contact the rep to get me a discound or something. Well a week later im still waiting. Not impresed... But could also be a combination of my dealer / rep... I had also asked for a discount on another RG that i was interested in and i would pay the diffrence... That was a joke they only dropped it in price by $50... I was actually insulted by that a customer that will over the next little while probably drop a few $$ in that store and they couldent sharpen their pencil a bit more and actually make the customer feel like thay were apreciated. Iv been in retail for the last 10 years and i do whatever it takes to make the customer happy even if a have to loose a few $$ at the time. Im a firm belever in what comes around goes around ...hehe. But this is also one of those salesmen that thinks unless you drop at least $3000 then everything under that is a pc of crap. He even came out and told me that... Wish i had teh email addy for the rep he was talking to
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 08:45 PM
Vendor

That has nothing to do with Ibanez customer service. Ibanez doesn't give "discounts" for finish cracks. They'll either rebody it, replace, or touch the cracks up, but they won't doscount a dealer for them. And who's to say this salesman has even ask yet? Sounds like your problem is more with this store, yet you rip Ibanez instead.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvo View Post
I love my ibanez but must agree their customer service is severly lacking at the moment. I just purchased my RG about a month ago now and aver a week ago i noticed to finish cracks on the body. I contacted the dealer and they were supost to contact the rep to get me a discound or something. Well a week later im still waiting. Not impresed... But could also be a combination of my dealer / rep... I had also asked for a discount on another RG that i was interested in and i would pay the diffrence... That was a joke they only dropped it in price by $50... I was actually insulted by that a customer that will over the next little while probably drop a few $$ in that store and they couldent sharpen their pencil a bit more and actually make the customer feel like thay were apreciated. Iv been in retail for the last 10 years and i do whatever it takes to make the customer happy even if a have to loose a few $$ at the time. Im a firm belever in what comes around goes around ...hehe. But this is also one of those salesmen that thinks unless you drop at least $3000 then everything under that is a pc of crap. He even came out and told me that... Wish i had teh email addy for the rep he was talking to

how much were the guitars that we're talking about here? even though it sounds like the salesman was a jerk (which is why you should deal with the manager on something like this...they'll have more leeway anyways) the detail of the price is an important one...there's a big difference between a $50 discount on a $500 guitar and a $1000 guitar. the fact that it was a month later probably isn't helping your case either; you're probably just about at the point where a store will turn it over to you dealing with the company on a warranty claim which will really suck...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode